awful quiet around here

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Its awfully quiet on the dog board, anybody been hunting ? Catfisher and DRS, how about a coon hunting story or a good deer dog hunt story

Last edited:

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
My dad hunted last week a couple days. He seen 3-4 bucks running dogs but hes getting too slow. He dont care about killing one anyways..just likes to run his dogs mostly. The fellows hunting with him, shot at several of them but not a hair cut yet. Fellow on the club been walking them up in cutovers..this guy normally still hunts. Hes killed 2 decent 8 points....hes got more nerves than I got..too many rattlesnakes for me.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My dad hunted last week a couple days. He seen 3-4 bucks running dogs but hes getting too slow. He dont care about killing one anyways..just likes to run his dogs mostly. The fellows hunting with him, shot at several of them but not a hair cut yet. Fellow on the club been walking them up in cutovers..this guy normally still hunts. Hes killed 2 decent 8 points....hes got more nerves than I got..too many rattlesnakes for me.[/QUOT

didn't get close enough to measure it but I saw a huge rattlesnake on a Grassy Island Rd. about two weeks ago. You know where the single wide is across from the cutover, I think yalls land goes in behind it? I ran over and backed up and ran over it again. My girlfriend asked me what I was doing, I told her that thing could kill a dog or a person real quick like.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
O yea...I seen one die about 150 yards towards little river from that single wide that was 47" long. Same day there was some guys working across the road that found two mating..one was 57" and the other 60". I have walked all over them woods at times and I have never came across one in the woods(just a matter of time) but still I wouldnt jump the ditch without some snake boots. One year somebody killed one with snow on the ground down there. Richard said you could take a sheet of plywood and put some bread under it and come back the next week...there will be one under it. Usually a few run over down towards the game lands too every year.

rem1148

Hog hunted last Saturday wildcat. Got outrun by 3 different hogs. Caught 2 today. Let 1 go and 1 went to the butcher! ;)

Bigtime

For the first time I doubled up yesterday. I was sitting on a long dirt road when I heard a dog but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. About 15 minutes later, a buck came out in the road about 250 yards away and I dropped him right where he stood! I drove up to the deer, got out of the truck and caught something out of the corner of my eye and it was another buck close to the same distance further down the road and I smoked him too. My first double!! Later in the afternoon we were headed out of the club when someone saw a buck standing down a spur road so my son turned to dogs out on him. They ran him around and round in a thick cut over for about an hour. When he had had enough, he finally decided to make a break for it and came out where my cousin was sitting and he smoked him. A big 8 point. So for only 8 of us we and a great day!!!

Last edited:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Killed a doe Sat before last in front of the hounds. This past week I went camping on the Roanoke River Wildlife Refuge. Saw some deer ( does and small bucks) and killed two hogs. Now I'm back to run the hounds some and slip in on some of bucks I'll be after when there is not enough people to hunt. I'll be running at least a couple days a week and still hunting some sweet spots the next few weeks. All the places I checked this morning all had fresh scrapes. Had a nice 15" wide or so 6 pt. walk within 20 yards of me this morning about 9:30, while putting up my climbing stand for in the morning. Needless to say I'm pumped for hunting the next few days.

Guys ran a good buck yesterday and of course some yotes.