Snow for saturday!!! And scouting trip

TeamLockedUP

Ok so went and burned some gas today scouting only seen 2 birds a woodie and a gadwall but with the snow forcasted for saturday I'm thinking the 8th might get interesting for sure

ThrillofDaChase

Ten Pointer
Need things to freeze up north. Cold fronts up there will help move them some, but holes need to start locking up to see major pushes.

TeamLockedUP

I have seen duck number change around here with fronts like this regardless if its froze up north been hunting to many years here but were off to a good start with cold lot better than last year

kahunter

Eight Pointer
This is what we want. If it is this cold here it will be much colder north of us. Last november was the best I can remember and with some of the reports I have been hearing some birds are here and more are coming.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Teal maybe but the mallards and such are still holding tight. Crops are coming off and we have fields full of ducks and geese. Only supposed to be mid to upper 20s for lows then back to 30s. You may get a small push but we haven't even seen big numbers arriving here yet.

Cripplecreek

Six Pointer
Kind of like a few years ago. It got nasty in the US, but Canada was warmer. All it did was keep everything up there.

JWH15

Six Pointer
I'm not expecting this 2 day cold spell for us to do anything, need consistent cold up north for any birds to make te push

skydog

I'm not expecting this 2 day cold spell for us to do anything, need consistent cold up north for any birds to make te push

^This. The weather here doens't really matter, what matters is 1000 miles north of here and it's been a warm Fall so far. The early migrators (teal, gadwall) will be down here almost regardless of the weather, but once those birds are shot out the first few days of the season, I don't see a big push of birds coming in behind them at this point. I think the November season will be a let down. Hoping that things start to get cold in December.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I was working on a refuge in east tn mon and Tuesday on the tn river. Probably saw 500+ teal Tuesday morning, but ZERO big ducks.

Snow and rain can be good to get birds moving but it's useless if the birds aren't here.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I have seen duck number change around here with fronts like this regardless if its froze up north been hunting to many years here but were off to a good start with cold lot better than last year

Been hunting NC for 37 or so years......and can tell you till the freeze line is just to our north, then the ducks will not be here.....got lots and lots of journal entries to prove this........

TeamLockedUP

Been hunting NC for 37 or so years......and can tell you till the freeze line is just to our north, then the ducks will not be here.....got lots and lots of journal entries to prove this........
Ok yall act like I said every freaking duck from canada would be here after this little snow storm which it want but it will still put birds moving and location will be the key to any sucess for this opening split and I'm sure some of you are sitting on some new birds in swamps and impoundments due to the cooler weather we have seen no prob not 100s or 1000s but I'm sure there's a few it would be what I call early migrants cause we typically don't get birds in my part till late Dec-Jan sometimes not till after the season but hey a coldfront of any size coming through is better then a heat wave for duck season

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Teal maybe but the mallards and such are still holding tight. Crops are coming off and we have fields full of ducks and geese. Only supposed to be mid to upper 20s for lows then back to 30s. You may get a small push but we haven't even seen big numbers arriving here yet.

we'll have to do some "configurin'" on next years season,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I hear a road trip calling me,,,,,,,,

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
If I had a place you'd sure be welcome.

They harvested beans today on a field by the house. About 1500 Canada's on it before dark.

Jmac

I've been hunting NC since 1987 and yes some ducks don't move til they're forced to and some do. A whole lot of ducks migrate on a timeframe. I've seen ringnecks for example show by the 1000's with a coldfront and I've seen 'em show by equal numbers without a coldfront. I've seen ringnecks in huntable numbers in Miss. in mid Nov. in the past. Duck hunting aint just about shooting big ducks, it's about shooting ducks. each one having their own qualities. I myself don't get to excited about duck season opening up in early Nov. I wish it came in for only the week of Thanksgiving. Back in the day I never had an issue finding ducks during that week, big ducks medium ducks, small ducks, divers and puddle ducks. I could have just as many good hunts or more in that one week than I expect to have during this whole upcoming 2nd split. But who knows? Surely not any of us. One thing to consider in regards to Justin's post, we don't get all of our ducks from the region he's in. The ducks in the atlantic flyway don't have the vast Ag fields full of waste grain to keep them tight. I'm with TeamlockedUP on this, most all of us are gonna be out on the 8th. I personally will feel better knowing a front came thru and at the least helped to cool things down than being stuck in a stagnate warm spell that sure won't move ducks.
I personally will be going after some local mallards on the 8th, if this front pushed down another duck or two all the better. On a side note, I've got ducks on one of my local holes today that weren't there yesterday.

fowlplay'n

Twelve Pointer
I've hunted the same stand on the edge of a creek the last three mornings and there were double the woodies this morning compared to Thursday morning. May not be migrating birds but this weather has got them up and moving. I'm getting ready for Saturday!

Garrett Trentham

I've been hunting NC since 1987 and yes some ducks don't move til they're forced to and some do. A whole lot of ducks migrate on a timeframe. I've seen ringnecks for example show by the 1000's with a coldfront and I've seen 'em show by equal numbers without a coldfront. I've seen ringnecks in huntable numbers in Miss. in mid Nov. in the past. Duck hunting aint just about shooting big ducks, it's about shooting ducks. each one having their own qualities. I myself don't get to excited about duck season opening up in early Nov. I wish it came in for only the week of Thanksgiving. Back in the day I never had an issue finding ducks during that week, big ducks medium ducks, small ducks, divers and puddle ducks. I could have just as many good hunts or more in that one week than I expect to have during this whole upcoming 2nd split. But who knows? Surely not any of us. One thing to consider in regards to Justin's post, we don't get all of our ducks from the region he's in. The ducks in the atlantic flyway don't have the vast Ag fields full of waste grain to keep them tight. I'm with TeamlockedUP on this, most all of us are gonna be out on the 8th. I personally will feel better knowing a front came thru and at the least helped to cool things down than being stuck in a stagnate warm spell that sure won't move ducks.

THIS^^^

I was just about to post the same thing. The past three days of hard North winds and a bright moon couldn't have done anything but help us.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
that's a fact gentlemen,,,,seen a nice flock of ducks down in SC yesterday,,,,,,I won't hunt next weekend due to an out of town family event but hope you all have a great hunt,,,,,,,,

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
While the Atlantic ducks don't all come from this area, majority does. Just checked the 10day. Get ready. Small waters are gettinfrewdy to get hard up here.

Also without a doubt they don't all come from up here, but if I can help be some eyes for what's going on in a relatively ducky place, it's a post I dont mind making.

That said we got some weather over the weekwbs that froze some of the marshes. Coincidentally, seeing less webbed feet. They're not on the big waters either, get ready.

As said, the moon should move a bunch out regardless.

Gus

Six Pointer
first flock of swan I've seen this season flew over the house last night. About 2 weeks ahead of normal.

Jmac

While the Atlantic ducks don't all come from this area, majority does. Just checked the 10day. Get ready. Small waters are gettinfrewdy to get hard up here.

Also without a doubt they don't all come from up here, but if I can help be some eyes for what's going on in a relatively ducky place, it's a post I dont mind making.

That said we got some weather over the weekwbs that froze some of the marshes. Coincidentally, seeing less webbed feet. They're not on the big waters either, get ready.

As said, the moon should move a bunch out regardless.
Justin I'm sure i can speak for all of us here in saying we appreciate your info. Keep it coming.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Corn and beans are coming off. The geese and mallards seem to be loafing in the fields and filling up waiting to go head south. Its interesting seeing this end of the migration and knowing they will definitely leave here.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
first flock of swan I've seen this season flew over the house last night. About 2 weeks ahead of normal.

Ive watched a few nesting pairs all summer on various marsh ponds are here. I saw your post today and went and checked. Theyre gone. Didnt think theyd leave earlier than the ducks and geese.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
North west of Minneapolis. Just on the outskirts of the city. Got a lotnof residents but also in the edge of farm country where there is agriculture migrators. Lots of marshes and nesting area.

Garrett Trentham

Cool deal. I've got family in the twin cities. Land of the giant canadas.

Have you lived through a winter up there yet? I think I'd have to migrate around mid December.