Another

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Good hunt with Rampage tonight. First drop he got in a swamp and got out in a beaver pond and treed where I couldn't get to him. I had to winch the 4 wheeler twice to get close. Then I could only get 150 yds from him. He had swam out and was on an island treed. Nothing to do but call him off. Went to some higher ground and he got on this one quick. I could have killed it but I let it go for another day.

Last edited:

buckrunner

Thats a good looking dog. What time do you typically turn out?

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Wondering how it affects him when you have to call him off? This is something we never had to do so I'm honestly wondering how it affects him.

Jokingly I bet he doesn't like it. After him having done all of that work you should have "Rambo'd" out to him with knife in your teeth as you swam that beaver pond, pulled a "jerry Clower's" toe nailed up that tree and brought that coon out for him. LOL.

I have to scold you for not killing that one, the dang things are a pest. As bad as squirrels and turkeys on a corn pile. LOL.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I absolutely hate to call them off a tree when they are young/just starting to tree. Once mature it really doesn't seem to bother them especially when you love on them a little. Think about it, I hunt all summer and don't harvest the coon then. Not really a big difference between me walking up to the tree in the summer and patting him on the head and saying "lets go" and me calling him off from a distance.

When you get right down to it the harvesting of game is much more important to the human than it is the dog. Think about it, you ever see a greyhound catch that funny lookin little rabbit they chase around the track, yet they give it their all every time? Same thing with a treedog if you reward them correctly.