Finally, Happy Halloween

SickLeaveSportsman

Four Pointer
With one day left before ML starts, I was finally able to bag an archery buck. I've been hunting this area of Butner-Falls pretty hard all season, seen lots of does, some decent young bucks. Got in this morning above a large drainage ditch where I've seen lots of deer crossing, no reason why they pick that one spot. Saw 3 doe spaced 20 mins apart all cross the ditch about 70yds away, same spot, never got into range. Kicking myself for not setting up where I know they all come in and about to get down, I see a buck chasing a doe behind me. Wouldn't you know she crosses the ditch right below me, buck has no concern except her. I turn and draw back when she is behind a tree, he of course follows her right to the other side, I was about to stop him and he did it for me, 20yds. Steep angle, went in right behind the shoulder. I knew it was a good shot, and he bounded off over the hill. I got down after a bit to check the arrow...very little blood on fletching, some pink tissue, no trail, no splatter around the arrow...give me a break. I've been here before.

He went a ways off, so I track a little bit looking for blood, and find nothing. Back out and have a sad drive to work, to wait until lunch to track him. I get back and just start zigzagging his path with no luck, so I start randomly following trails in that direction that have deep running tracks in them, and lo and behold, 100 yds from the arrow I get a horror show of a bubbly blood pool. No drips that I found til then. From there it was follow the blood river road 50 more yds to him.

photo.jpg

What a relief, considering my loss at the same spot last week. Arrow went out the front left brisket, fat probably wiped all the blood off the arrow. He's going to be good eatin! Thanks again everyone for your help getting me here, and good luck to everyone this season!