Hybrid pine trees?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Anyone ever planted the loblolly/pitch pine hybrids that are available?

Thanks

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I'm just wondering if it is a soulution without a problem. As far as timber production at least here in the mountains of nc. White pine already fills that role. There would need to be a stonger yellow pine market in an area where the timber market is based on hardwood and white pine. Or I think loblolly would grow in most of wnc if needed. But most of our mountain sites are very well suited for hardwood and yellow poplar would fill the role of the faster growing southern yellow pines. Maybe it will work in some areas but if the ground is suited for hardwood, you would be fighting nature to convert it to pine. The areas of wnc that would naturally have pine are probably too steep for plantation style pine management where thinning is needed.

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
It looks like they would work for that. Seems they need to be watered quite a bit to get them through the first year, but would grow pretty quick in northern climates compared to their native pines. Seems like the drawback is having to water them compared to loblolly. Pure loblolly should give you 85-90% survival by just sticking them in the ground. But the hybrid looks like it would fit the bill for screening.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
I agree with curdog, sounds like a solution looking for a problem. Hard to best cedar/juniper for a quick growing evergreen screen.

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
another vote for the Green Giant. Planted a few of these and they grow fast and look great. Have not watered, fertilized, and no bag worms.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I'm just wondering if it is a soulution without a problem. As far as timber production at least here in the mountains of nc. White pine already fills that role. There would need to be a stonger yellow pine market in an area where the timber market is based on hardwood and white pine. Or I think loblolly would grow in most of wnc if needed. But most of our mountain sites are very well suited for hardwood and yellow poplar would fill the role of the faster growing southern yellow pines. Maybe it will work in some areas but if the ground is suited for hardwood, you would be fighting nature to convert it to pine. The areas of wnc that would naturally have pine are probably too steep for plantation style pine management where thinning is needed.

man playing god by crossing these 2 trees...........just because they can....agreed solution w/o a problem. then you make a problem when you get a fast growing tree. the wood is not as strong and the tree isn't as strong and is more susceptible to storm damage. Loblolly from years ago is better wood than the new stuff also as the new loblollies are faster growing than original.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Loblolly/ Pitch hybrids have been planted a good bit in NW West Virginia on timber company lands...They seem to grow quite well. Only problem we have is a limited pulp market in this area.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Loblolly/ Pitch hybrids have been planted a good bit in NW West Virginia on timber company lands...They seem to grow quite well. Only problem we have is a limited pulp market in this area.

How are they as far as wildlife habitat?

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
www.fs.fed.us/ne/newtown.../rp67.pdf
It seems that on better soils the pitch/ loblolly hybrids and pure loblolly would be equivalent but the hybrids on typical upland soils would have a growth rate equal to shortleaf pine. Most sites had considerably faster growth from loblolly with a lot better form. It seems that Virginia pine would have an equal form to the hybrids.... I think shortleaf would be a good planting for wnc as a wildlife screen. It grows slow, so it would remain in the size needed for a screen longer than a faster growing tree. It would take it a little longer to get up to the height needed to screen an area, but would remain there longer.
And deer will definitely browse on pine seedlings, and rabbits are bad for it as well.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
you aren't asking about white pines,,,,,,,,,,plant something native if your looking to enhance habitat,,,,,,,,,

Yep, native is the way to go......mother natures knows better than we do.....I for one have seen more and more Longleaf pine being planted raleigh east......They are planting 100 acres of longleaf accross from Jordan Dam this winter....Native range extends into Chatham co but very few are left. I have donated some Longleafs to the State parks at Jordan and they were happy to get them.

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I think that there are some natural hybrids of pitch and loblolly, but with that being said the native ranges only overlap in a very small area in Delaware and some mid Atlantic states. The sites the two species occur naturally are different.