Not Bad For 50+ Year Old Rifle

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I've mounted a 2-7x32 Bausch & Lomb Elite scope on my 99 this week. I hope I get a chance to sight it in soon. Crossing my fingers that the scope change is for the better in the accuracy department.

<>< Fish

Last edited:

HAYCONC

Six Pointer
Nice gun Mark. Great caliber also! I have a rare Remington 700 BDL in .300 Savage. The only years Remington ever offered the 700 in this fine caliber were the 1992 BDL and 2003 Classic. Wish I had my 1927 Model 99 Savage back in 30-30. Never should have sold that one!!!!!!

HAYCONC

Six Pointer
Try 42.5 gr RL-15 or IMR 4064, 150 gr Hornady SP lead tip, and a CCI 200 primer. Either load works great out of my 700 BDL and get approx. 2650 on my chronograph.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I removed the butt stock from my 99 and removed all the built up crud that had accumulated since it left the factory in 1967. After cleaning and lightly lubing the mechanism it all (trigger & lever) felt much smoother. While I was at it I cleaned the barrel with JB Bore Brite and followed that up with Montana X-treme bore conditioner. I took it out for a little shooting session and shot the best groups with my 99 since owning it. The target below was shot with factory Federal 150gr soft points at 50 yards. After moving the target back to the 100 yard mark I was still able to keep the shots inside the 2" bullseye. Maybe the "Bad Luck" rifle will earn it's keep this year.

<>< Fish
1121141635-1_zpsubalnes2.jpg

Frostcat

Twelve Pointer
Good group FishHunt - maybe this breaks the bad luck hex. I hope in the next three weeks I can post pictures of a deer instead of targets.:D

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Thank you. We need a show off your 99 picture thread. I hope I can post a pic of mine tonight with a deer in hand with the rifle.

<>< Fish

Last edited:

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I cleanly missed a doe at a ranged 170 yards tonight with that cursed Bad Luck 99. It is only the third deer since I started hunting in the early 1980's that I have missed with a firearm. I had a solid rest and a broadside shot. It would have been a chip shot with any other scoped deer rifle I have.

<>< Fish

Last edited:

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Like a dummy I mounted an as NIB Leupold M8 4x to my Bad Luck Rifle today. Going to give it another try.

10888712_10203231418890650_2987504807640843598_n.jpg

<>< Fish

Last edited:

Deerjager

I just acquired a 99 in 300 Savage last week. I have some factory ammo, but already have a set of dies in the shed for this caliber. I had a 99RS in 300 and was foolish enough to let it go, but the one now has found a permanent home as long as she shoots well.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
I have 2 one 303 and a 300 savage. Haven't shot them, can't find ammo.
----------------here you are,:)
Ammunition|Buffalo Arms Company

Huntington Die Specialties :: Cases :: Norma Cases ::

Graf & Sons - PRVI PARTIZAN BRASS 303 SAVAGE UNPRIMED 100/BAG
303 Savage | Norma
Hornady Superformance Ammunition 82221 300 Savage For Sale

Last edited:

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Bet there's not another one of these on the thread, 99 in .358 Winchester...

408810172.jpg

408810173.jpg

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
My brother has a 33 caliber. You can't find readily available factory ammo. If he finds some dies, he could try making some from .45-70 brass if he can find the bullets.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
-------------------which 33 caliber? 33 Winchester maybe.
-------Graf&sons has dies and these.
Graf & Sons - JAMISON BRASS 33 WINCHESTER UNPRIMED PER 20
They are $1.46 per round, but you cannot buy and form from 45-70 for any less. Since you will lose some cases in the forming process.
If it was me, I'd buy 200 of these cases, neck size them, drop in some 338 180gr SP's and shoot'em up.
I would go ahead and order a Lee collet die set for this caliber [special order but they will build it].
I still have a few hundred of the old Hornady 200gr FP designed for this caliber that I shoot out west for small game in my 338 Win mag. There are some folks who swear by the Lever-Revolutions on deer at reduced velocities too.

Last edited: