Removing Antlers from skull

DFisher

Eight Pointer
I killed a buck and have not decided what to do with the antlers yet. Last year I did my own European mount and was real pleased with the results. I may do another, but if not, I may just remove the antlers and lay them on the mantle. What is the best way to remove antlers from the skull? I have previously tried sawing the skull just below the base of the antlers, but that left a very rough surface. Any ideas?

mattharris0414

Wow, boltcutters? Was this a spike? Lol. I would like to see the set of bolt cutters needed to snip off a 3 or 4 yr Olds antlers.

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
Well, I kinda do have access to a set of bolt cutters that are as long as I am tall (anyone who knows me, no comment on that one!). It takes two people to use them, one cutting and one holding them up. They can easily cut off a heavy set of antlers.

gone_huntin

Four Pointer
I would agree that a sawzall with a good flexible blade would probably do it nicely. Maybe a coping saw since you could sort of contour to the skull as you cut?

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Leave a little extra on the pedicel side and then sand/file them smooth to the base. Any bone or fine tooth saw will work.

If you don't want to just lay them on a shelf they make nice bookends also.

<>< Fish

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
I use a chain saw. Cut straight down behind the horns and then cut just above the eyes cutting from front to back. A little stinky and a little messy, especially if I get too deep and get the top of the brain, but it is quick and it works.

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Last year I was using a sawz-all to cut a 4 point and apparently he had an abscess from fighting or something just under the skin; busted and through green pus all over me.
Nasty.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
Cut them off either seperatly at the bases or as a unit by removing a portion of the skull. After the bone is good and dry sand it smooth with fine sand paper. Polish bone with leather scrap. It will shine and look like ivory.

OnslowDeerMan

I cut off most of my antlers since they aren't usually that big &#128523; I use a plain old hacksaw, same thing I used to cut off legs and such, works well every time, quick too.