official NC grouse hunting thread

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
OK there's a couple of threads going on about grouse hunting so oi thought I would stream line it into one....hope that's OK!!

zjohn14

Four Pointer
Sounds good to me, all though me personally I won't be going grouse huntin for another 3 wks or until deer season closes just to be safe.

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
Also let's see some of those beautiful dogs......if could figure out how to post a pic I'd put my two soup sounds on here

zjohn14

Four Pointer
8f1d1ec0246c717f03c22d7e571d6760.jpg

My gsp's 4 month old kettle an 1.5yr old copper

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
My little GSP wont be ready this year but watch out next season.......
She's 13 weeks

Ill still prolly get some hunts in with my 9 y/o GSP when I head back to the mountains to see my parents

sakoman

Being a flat lander down here along the roanoke river basin we grew up quail hunting , wich we have very few of these days. I never had a chance to eat a grouse, are they as good on the table as a quail?

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
Being a flat lander down here along the roanoke river basin we grew up quail hunting , wich we have very few of these days. I never had a chance to eat a grouse, are they as good on the table as a quail?
They are pretty good....i like to slowly fry mine in a butter and wine sauce

zjohn14

Four Pointer
9ef1bd40cb5181b66c047c0f8362d5f0.jpg

Saw this grouse day before yesterday while I was deer huntin. I have found a awesome honey hole an it helps being over 4k above sea level to

MtnGrouseHtr

Six Pointer
Hunted today in Avery county and managed one flush. That bird sailed across the entire drainage it looked like. Great day to spend in the woods with my son and the dog, thou.

MtnGrouseHtr

Six Pointer
Dang, wish I would have seen this message this morning. I hit some game land in Ashe country and only flushed one woodcock. Seems to be lots of grapes all over the high country. I had plans to try Cold Mountain in Haywood, but decided to stay a little closer to home.

Last edited:

zjohn14

Four Pointer
I only jumped one bird my dogs caught wind right as it flushed, I actually got laid off work till the first of Feb so I'll be going a lot or as much as i possible can

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Has anyone on here ever tried the upper edges of Thurmond Chatam GL along the parkway for grouse?

Wanted to get my pup out in the woods walking, but she'll get worn out if I take back up to Haywood where I used to hunt with my old dog.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I saw two while deer hunting last week of season. 5300 feet and howling wind on top of the mountain.....

Dang things didn't even fly it was so windy, just took off running like a pheasant down the mountain. The monster doe, however, couldn't outrun the .300.

zjohn14

Four Pointer
What county? I'm in Avery, our deer season ended dec 12th. Which sucks in a way but it helps some to. The few grouse I have seen has been in old clear cuts that's really thick an steep.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
This was in Watauga. Up high around 5100'-5300' in those tight craggy woods/balds. All the birds I jumped have been higher than normal there this year.

Those high mountain woods can sometimes be as tight as a 5yo cutover.

zjohn14

Four Pointer
OK thanks! I been hunting around 4k ft or so I'll try to go up around 5k next time I go, im dying to kill my first, my dogs are finally starting to point them some, tough birds to hunt that's for sure

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
Anybody having any luck lately? Debating whether to head to the Harmon Den area Saturday or try closer to home around the Wilson Creek area. I've only flushed one this year from the lower areas, but I know they're in there.

lutz40

Four Pointer
What kind of dog are you hunting with nchunter2? I ask because I'm trying to get into grouse hunting next year with my Brittany. He's just 12 weeks old now so he won't be ready for another year yet, but I'd like to go with someone with experience to gain some knowledge and insight. Just saw that you were in Catawba Co as well and thought I'd ask.

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
What kind of dog are you hunting with nchunter2? I ask because I'm trying to get into grouse hunting next year with my Brittany. He's just 12 weeks old now so he won't be ready for another year yet, but I'd like to go with someone with experience to gain some knowledge and insight. Just saw that you were in Catawba Co as well and thought I'd ask.

It's a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. She's 3 years old and does great with quail and woodcock, but have yet to shoot a grouse over her. Shot AT a few over her, but never connected. The ruffed grouse is like my personal unicorn :( Brittany's are great dogs! Do you plan to get her on some quail or pigeon this spring/summer?

lutz40

Four Pointer
I don't really have a place to go to put him on any quail or pigeon, unless I pay to go on a guided hunt or something of that nature. My folks own some property up near table rock in the Pisgah National Forest and that's why I had grouse in mind. I'm a novice when it comes to this type of hunting and am looking for some direction.

Last edited:

gone_huntin

Four Pointer
I don't really have a place to go to put him on any quail or pigeon, unless I pay to go on a guided hunt or something of that nature. My folks own some property up near table rock in the Pisgah National Forest and that's why I had grouse in mind. I'm a novice when it comes to this type of hunting and am looking for some direction.

Lutz, you should look into Cool Springs Hunting in Statesville. They have a dog training club that meets once or more a month and the guy sells quail and other birds for the training days. Only like $40 for the year or something like that. There's also a place out near Pinehurst/Rockingham area called the Sandhills Pointing Breed Club that has homing pigeons for dog training. Cool Springs is much closer to you though being in Catawba Co. Either way, I would definitely be putting the dog on birds as much as possible this year in the off season, even if you aren't shooting them just to get him smelling them regularly.

PM me if you want any more info.

lutz40

Four Pointer
Lutz, you should look into Cool Springs Hunting in Statesville. They have a dog training club that meets once or more a month and the guy sells quail and other birds for the training days. Only like $40 for the year or something like that. There's also a place out near Pinehurst/Rockingham area called the Sandhills Pointing Breed Club that has homing pigeons for dog training. Cool Springs is much closer to you though being in Catawba Co. Either way, I would definitely be putting the dog on birds as much as possible this year in the off season, even if you aren't shooting them just to get him smelling them regularly.

PM me if you want any more info.

I appreciate the info gone huntin...After all the research I've done, I have never come across anything on Cool Springs but I just took a look at their website and this looks like right up my alley. Again, much appreciated.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Just to let you know there is a bounty out for anyone who even considers harming that bird. LOL.