official NC grouse hunting thread

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Hi CRC,
you indicated an interest in looking for some grouse...send me a PM and add your phone number and I can call you...
I've expressed an interest in finding someone to look for some birds up your way...I am the guy that moved here from Pa.
thanks,
Terry

I don't have a bird dog but pm sent

tdsetter

anyone have a successful grouse hunt lately?
here's a big bird my buddy got in Pa today...he doesn't have a dog, but has a few choice coverts in a game lands most hunters overlook... Big bird.jpg

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
Just wandering how everyone 's season is going so far..... I'm moving a few birds but they are more scattered..... I don't think there is as much food as last season......

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
Went Saturday south of Grandfather Mtn. One wild flush, no shot. Hunted some newer areas that were even more marginal than my normal haunts. Nice day to be in the woods with my dog though!!

tdsetter

Went Saturday south of Grandfather Mtn. One wild flush, no shot. Hunted some newer areas that were even more marginal than my normal haunts. Nice day to be in the woods with my dog though!!

Just got my license last week....I am wondering if it makes more sense to wait til after Dec. 12 with gun deer hunters in the woods....especially if hunting with a dog..
In Pa., grouse season would coincide with archery , but never a problem, however, when deer gun season comes in for 2 weeks , all small game seasons stop....then after gun season is over, small game comes back in, coincides with muzzle loader, but not nearly as deer hunters in woods...
what are common practices here in NC?
thanks,
Terry

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Ill start hunting on Jan 2...
Flushed a few while deer hunting, and got some intel on a few more.

I flushed 6 at one place a few weeks back, but as soon as a good snow comes those birds disperse. Happens every year...
They were dumb too... :)
Tight sitting birds that flew straight away...

tdsetter

Ill start hunting on Jan 2...
Flushed a few while deer hunting, and got some intel on a few more.

I flushed 6 at one place a few weeks back, but as soon as a good snow comes those birds disperse. Happens every year...
They were dumb too... :)
Tight sitting birds that flew straight away...

yes,
I'm leaning on waiting at least til after Dec. 13th or so, in the meantime try to find quail here in SC...
Terry

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
Just got my license last week....I am wondering if it makes more sense to wait til after Dec. 12 with gun deer hunters in the woods....especially if hunting with a dog..
In Pa., grouse season would coincide with archery , but never a problem, however, when deer gun season comes in for 2 weeks , all small game seasons stop....then after gun season is over, small game comes back in, coincides with muzzle loader, but not nearly as deer hunters in woods...
what are common practices here in NC?
thanks,
Terry

On public land (Pisgah) it's pretty easy to get away from deer hunters since there are so few to deal with. Pick out the spots you want to go and drive by on the access forest service road. If there's a vehicle parked, go to option #2 and so on and so on until you find an area with no obvious deer hunting going on.

MtnGrouseHtr

Six Pointer
On public land (Pisgah) it's pretty easy to get away from deer hunters since there are so few to deal with. Pick out the spots you want to go and drive by on the access forest service road. If there's a vehicle parked, go to option #2 and so on and so on until you find an area with no obvious deer hunting going on.

That's pretty spot on to how I do it. I also have a bell and an orange collar on my dog. If somebody shoots him, then we're gonna have a problem. However, I do try to stay away from any areas where someone is obviously deer hunting, as I wouldn't want to be disturbed if I were sitting on a stand.

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
I'm the same with my dog...bell and orange vest. I also hate the idea of interrupting someone deer hunting. With the caution and situational awareness I try to maintain, if I did come up on someone then that's just the way it goes on public land...still cringe at the idea though. Deer hunting is tough enough in our mountains as it is. Thankfully there's plenty of land to go around.

ladeer

Six Pointer
I have a year old GSP. I can do a few things but she is ready to get on some birds. Any suggestions on trainers, I am in the Asheville area. She is a beautiful dog when she is on point and I want her to get on some birds. Thanks for any help.

tdsetter

Hi,
GSPs are beautiful dogs, excellent noses...what have you done with her so far? Can you take her in woods and fields and let her go without fear of losing her? Will she respond to whistle or collar to come back? If you have had her out off leash, how far does she range? Has she been exposed to birds at all? Lots of questions...I know......just trying to get a sense of where she's at..
Terry

ladeer

Six Pointer
Yes I trust her in the woods. She is mostly worked a collar. She responds well to the beep on the collar. I haven't not had her on any birds yet, I cant find any. We have started whoa training and retrieve. I worked a very little with a wing and then she started flagging with her tail so I stopped. If we go out her range isn't too bad but every now and then she will get ahead of me. Not very much work on a leash just because I don't have to, she mines pretty well.

tdsetter

Great, you are close....get her used to the gun, so she's not gun shy....I take mine to skeet range, just hanging out with her at a distance, so she gets used to the sounds....gradually getting closer to the shooting while socializing her.

Relative to birds....she just needs some planted birds...quail, chukars, pigeons....all will work...you will hear about remote pop traps, dizzying birds, etc....just get a couple cheap plastic baskets put upside down over top the bird, using metal tent stakes to hold in place.....put your girl on a 15 foot leash with a pinch collar to control her and lead her around the planted bird...
watch and control...talk gently reinforcing whoa when she gets enough scent to establish point.....assess her drive after she points....does she want to pounce?....it's natural but she has to learn she has to stay put. Like all individuals , pointing dogs have slightly different characteristics.....most GSPs I have seen have excellent noses so they will stand well off the birds and she might not ever have the urge to pounce...but you want to keep control with the lead....don't let her run loose on planted birds until you really understand her behaviors... you need to get birds for her...are there any resources in Asheville area...I live an hour or so South and would be glad to help you if you are willing to take a drive...these sessions don't need to be long...just 15-20 minutes letting her point a couple birds....pick her up, lead her hunting off in another direction....still on leash, let her point 2nd planted bird.....congratulate her, put her back in vehicle, and pick up the birds, baskets and do it again a couple days later...
use a pinch collar....no need to use your training electronic collar yet for this stuff...
let me know,
Terry

NC Quailhunter

Six Pointer
Everyone does it different. The gun introduction I would not take the dog to a skeet range. If it is a busy day the volume of shots can be overwhelming if you rush it. Get some pen raised birds and shoot the bird when the bird is in flight and the dog is in pursuit. Small gauge 410 or 28. Put the bird down and that will reward the dog and the sound is associated with a good thing. Do this a few times and he should be introduced well. Not trying contradict just my way of doing it.

Last edited:

ladeer

Six Pointer
There used to be a guy that sold quail and I have bought from in the past. I dont think he is in the business anymore, but I will keep looking.

tdsetter

Yes, quailhunter's methodology is spot on too, when your dog is displaying good drive and really hopped up on birds...using a small gauge gun is advised...she won't probably even notice it when she's excited on the bird and she will associate the sound with the desire to get the bird...lots of good , helpful people here , willing to share their dog training experiences, so keep us posted.
Terry

tdsetter

also, if you could get some young homing pigeons, they work great...if you have a place to keep a couple, you can use them over and over in different places and when flushed, they just fly back home!

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Walked 9 miles (gps track) on Friday between 4200' and 5400' in Avery county.

One flush. Very little food up high this fall. I'm ready to get my dog out once deer closes. But won't be going back there

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
That's very true, there is not a lot of food up high. I have seen some grapes but they aren't plump and juicy like last year.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Most birds I have flushed this year have been near lots of sedge ferns and deer ferns.

Most of the birds Ive killed in the last few years have those small fern blades in their craw

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I've killed a couple so far this season and no type of mast fruit in their craw...... All green stuff.

I got a feeling the birds are gonna scatter once we get a couple snows.

Feels like this year is the longest we've made it into the fall without hard freezes and snow.....

Ruff Hunter

Four Pointer
I hope we have some snows..... It's been very mild, only a couple of mornings has it been what I consider cold.... One hunt in a snow ( shady areas only )

zjohn14

Four Pointer
Anybody moving any birds? I haven't flushed near as many as usually and I seen dozens of this year birds while deer hunting. We need a good snow is my opinion?

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
anybody moving any birds? I haven't flushed near as many as usually and i seen dozens of this year birds while deer hunting. We need a good snow is my opinion?

Sent from my kfjwi using tapatalk

hes back!!!
Nice to see you back ZJohn. I flushed a few in deer season. Hunted my dog in Ashe on Sat. 3 flush, shot at one, killed 0.

By myself made it hard to work the dog and the gun.

I was at your neck of the woods after thanksgiving. Roaring creek up high. did 9 miles and flushed 1 bird all day. and it was on the AT

Not sure where they are. You been hunting BH Creek?

Last edited: