CVA wolf

ladeer

Six Pointer
I'm looking to buy a ML and Walmart has them on sale for 139. Any thoughts on the wolf? I have nor have I owned a ML. I'm trying to get some thoughts from y'all who have them. Thanks for helping.

ladeer

Six Pointer
So it sounds like 139 isn't a bad deal for one. What about bullets and powder load? I have never owned one just bow hunted. Thanks

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
So it sounds like 139 isn't a bad deal for one. What about bullets and powder load? I have never owned one just bow hunted. Thanks

stick to around 100grs of powder or pellets and 230-250gr saboted .45 bullets (in .50 cal sabots...). I have found my CVA inlines to hate the vaunted 'Powerbelts' and lead conicals.

just remember Triple 7 and Blackhorn 209 are 15% more powerful by volume than BP or Pyrodex. With a 209 primer, you could just drop two 50gr equivalent pellets and be done with it.

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
np. You might be able to find that Wolf on clearance soon since ML season is 'over', maybe even find an Optima for around that price if you are lucky.

robertc

Eight Pointer
Ladeer,

I saw your post and stopped by my local Wal-Mart to pick one up for my GF. They don't carry black powder rifles so I looked on line, not there either. Did you see them in a store?

ladeer

Six Pointer
Robertc I saw it n my Walmart. They even had the optima 199. They only had three of then total. They are on Clearance.

adkarcher

Six Pointer
I got my wolf on clearance from a walmart a few years ago for 100.00. Great little gun for the money. Bought a $40 bushnell scope and good to go. All the money I wanted to spend for a 1 week season in NY. Contrary to many on this forum, I have had excellent results with powerbelts.

Last edited:

robertc

Eight Pointer
Thanks Ladeer,
A little too far to make it cost effective. I'm north of Greensboro. My local Wal-Mart said they didn't carry black power guns. They took all of the guns temporary off the shelves a couple of years back. Since Remington's national headquarters is across the street and Ruger Manufacturing just up the road, someone decided it would be a good idea to put them back for sale. Still no muzzle loaders. Go on and snatch that CVA Wolf up before I change my mind and drive two and a half hours. LOL

NCMTNSHunter

Button Buck
I've got a couple guys I work with that have the wolfs with the quick release breech plugs. I currently shoot a new optima but here in the mtns either one will work. I found after moving from Northern NY that you really don't want a heavy rifle to lug around and the wolf is a great piece and short bbl. Most of us now shoot Blackhorn and Federal 209's or CCI 209Ms. I'm using 105 grains of Blackhorn over a 195 grain QT .40 cal from Precision Rifle and it shoots awesome. I've used both the TC Shockwave 250 and TX Mag Express 240s' with great success when I lived in NH,VT and Maine but never had any luck with powerbelts but that is just my experience. That's a great price for the Wolf and would make a great muzzleloader.

adkarcher

Six Pointer
NCMTNSHUNTER - where in northern NY? From Boonville myself. One of the reasons I did like the Wolf was because it was shorter and lighter than the Optima.

genbud78

Ten Pointer
I've had one for a few years and it works just fine. I use the 240gr XTPs with 2 777 pellets pushing it. Deer don't usually go to far with that. 139 bucks is a great price

Last edited:

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm looking to buy a ML and Walmart has them on sale for 139. Any thoughts on the wolf? I have nor have I owned a ML. I'm trying to get some thoughts from y'all who have them. Thanks for helping.

Happened into the Walmart in Elberton Ga yesterday, they are still 189.00 there... regular price.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
ML season ends? I always thought I could hunt with it right on til Jan 1st.

Anyhow, the walmart in Locust has the blue one marked to $139. They also have a T/C Impact Marked down, way down to more than the Wolf costs new. One time they had an Omega for $180 should've bought that one and resold it on GB.

ajsredbacks

I bought mine a few years ago in janurary at wal-mart for $75.00 and it does like powerbelts

Wncbowhunter

Ten Pointer
I have a used wolf, maybe shot 40-50 times, gun is 5 years or so old. Has a $50.00 bushnell scope. Gun is in good-great condition. Shoots well, looking to sell. Anyone have any idea what to price the gun. Don't want to ask too much but not looking to give away either just a fair price. Would not be selling but have two of them and don't need but one.

deerslyr30-06

Old Mossy Horns
I have a used wolf, maybe shot 40-50 times, gun is 5 years or so old. Has a $50.00 bushnell scope. Gun is in good-great condition. Shoots well, looking to sell. Anyone have any idea what to price the gun. Don't want to ask too much but not looking to give away either just a fair price. Would not be selling but have two of them and don't need but one.

You would be lucky to get $150 for it.