Trapping tips for beginner/best supplies around Raleigh

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
So I am going to try and do a little trapping. I have done some reading and watched some videos but for the most part I am clueless. I am planning on trying my luck up in Warren Co if anyone near there wants to come out one day and be a mentor ;).

But I was wondering, to get started gear, scents, lurewise.. we have bass pro, agri supply, gander mtn, field and stream....

Who has the best/most supplies?

What would you recommend I get for a beginner setup? a couple foot traps and some lure
?

Any help is appreciated. Ill be looking out for one of those trapping seminars from now on, hate I missed out on that in the past.

workennels

Eight Pointer
I am pretty green at trapping too, I been ordering from fntpost for several years and happy with their service. QBD helped me make choice on some new traps, Just placed an order with them a while ago a dozen new traps and bunch of other stuff. I think best thing to do is try to figure out what species you want to target and try to gain knowledge from here and other site. If you plan on trapping foxes make sure its legal in your county fox laws are funny, we cannot trap them here. I'm going to try to focus on yotes and cats this year and try to learn how to better catch them, I like to leave the coons for the dogs haha, good luck. Some resident experts should be along shortly to assist you better then I can.

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
Since you missed the trapping seminar and the trapper's convention, I would stick with something really easy to catch for your first year until you can get some proper education. Something like muskrats and 'coons.
Coyotes are probably the most difficult species in NC to catch and doing it wrong will only lead to "educated" coyotes that you may then never be able to catch. I've spent the past 3 seasons doing ride-alongs with one of the top coyote trappers in the state near the Raleigh area (all you real trappers know him well, I'm sure) learning how to do it. This year will be my first year of actually setting my own traps for them. You have to get GOOD strong traps, "fully-modified", laminated, etc. to hold a coyote....heavy schit, all of it...chain, springs, swivels, etc..

Last edited:

Skint Back

Since you missed the trapping seminar and the trapper's convention, I would stick with something really easy to catch for your first year until you can get some proper education. Something like muskrats and 'coons.
Coyotes are probably the most difficult species in NC to catch and doing it wrong will only lead to "educated" coyotes that you may then never be able to catch. I've spent the past 3 seasons doing ride-alongs with one of the top coyote trappers in the state near the Raleigh area (all you real trappers know him well, I'm sure) learning how to do it. This year will be my first year of actually setting my own traps for them. You have to get GOOD strong traps, "fully-modified", laminated, etc. to hold a coyote....heavy schit, all of it...chain, springs, swivels, etc..

Good advice^^^. There are plenty of coons in warren county and that is a good species to learn on. Several different ways to trap them also so you can get experience trapping on dry land and in water. Also remember, warren county does not have a fox trapping season so they are off limits.

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
I apprecaite it guys. I was also thinking with all of the dogs running around in warren county right now certain traps might not be very safe. I like the idea of focusing on an easier species right now and there are tons of coons on our trail cameras in some spots up there. I see they have some dogproof coon traps on the market. May Ill get 1 or 2 of those and try and set them tomorrow night after I deer hunt. That way I can check them on Saturday and Sunday morning as well as removing them sunday before I head back to Raleigh..

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
LOTS of trappers are using the dogproof 'coon traps now. Many have switched to them exclusively. They often bait them with a single large marshmellow put in the bottom of the trap - seriously.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
You're going to want to learn how to use a foothold. That's a trapper's bread and butter. That said, the advice to stick to some simple critters your first year or two is good. Heck, a coon can give you fits if you aren't making your sets right. I wouldn't advise getting traps or supplies at any of the places you mentioned. They all have very limited selections and charge almost double what the stuff is worth. You're better off going online and ordering equipment/supplies. FNT was already mentioned, and they are top notch. So is Scott at BlueRidge Trapping supply. Minnesota Trapline Products is another topnotch company. Those aren't the only ones, but they're the big boys around here. Don't be afraid of trapping around dogs, you just gotta learn how to set. You'll catch a few, and release them unharmed. Welcome to the addiction....

Last edited:

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
You can even make a roadtrip to South eastern trapping supply. Last time I went to fish the Pigg river I stopped in there.

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
5 sets made on good sign or good location will out produce 10 traps randomly set. DONT BE EAGER TO MESS WITH A SET ONCE YOU HAVE MADE IT..... i've set traps for k-9's on good sign and would have no catches for 2 or 3 days and it's like a light switch gets cut on and i'll catch 3 in 4 nights.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A dog proof style trap is considered a foothold trap in NC so they are legal. But you will either have to add a shock spring or shorten the chain to meet the 8" max requirement.

A a correction to an earlier post....it is Scott at Blueridge Outdoor Supplies.

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
nc wildlife states that chain length is measured from solid ground to base of the trap......... so if a chain on a trap is to long you can drive it further into the ground to ensure the correct chain length correct?

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Thank you for that correction, Harold. I've fixed it now. Steelshot, technically you're correct, but I'd encourage you not to dabble much in trapping gray areas, court gets expensive.

RPD689

Spike
Take this advice or leave it- do not set foot traps in Warren County during deer season if you want to maintain good relationships with hunting clubs there. I have been in a club there for 28 seasons so I understand that culture and the feelings that hunters have for their dogs. Anyone who says that you can just release the dogs and everything will be fine just doesn't understand.

Now as to trapping, always buy the very best equipment. It only hurts once to buy it. It hurts every time that you walk up to a set to find blown out trap jaws or a pull out when using inferior equipment.

I got coyote fever several years ago after seeing one while riding in to check otter sets one day. I bought the best equipment, good baits and lures and quality urine. I went hard at it for two months. The coyotes handed me my hat. I caught 4 in two months. I figured that I was a fair trapper, but I was out of my league in that endeavor. The next season, running the exact same area, I caught 31 in just over three weeks. What changed? I quickly learned that coyote trapping is not a casual thing that will come easy. You must first learn the animal and his habits as well as he knows them. You must learn locations and how he uses his territory. You must learn how seasonal changes affect his behavior. You must learn how changes in his habitat (farming practices, weather, logging, etc,) affect his behavior. You must learn patience and to accept failure. There is much more that I have not mentioned.

Not meaning to be rude, but anyone who thinks that he can go to the local farm supply store, buy junk traps, plop them in the ground and begin catching coyotes is in for a rude awakening. It is not as easy as the internet and some TV shows make it seem. One who has a sincere interest in trapping should associate himself with accomplished trappers (beware of armchair internet experts) and endeavor to learn everything about it. Start with easier to catch animals as success breeds success.

I manage to catch a few dumb ones, but I am still learning every day. As an example, I am currently reading, " Hoofbeats Of A Wolfer" for about the tenth time. As O'Gorman says, "You must be more dedicated to killing him then he is to living."

I hope that my ramblings are not offensive to anyone, but my one very bad fault is that I tend to be very blunt and direct in my old age.

Jimmy

919-801-2562

BDoby

Spike
Another good and often overlooked part of trapping is staking. Stake for the biggest animal in your area every time. Nothing gives trapping a black eye quicker than someone seeing a coyote running around with a trap. I personally use chained super stakes.

g3trappernc

Twelve Pointer
nc wildlife states that chain length is measured from solid ground to base of the trap......... so if a chain on a trap is to long you can drive it further into the ground to ensure the correct chain length correct?

I would not risk that at all. You catch a critter and they pump the stake out of the ground a little bit and suddenly you are illegal. Just shorten the chain or add a shock spring.

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
Thank you for that correction, Harold. I've fixed it now. Steelshot, technically you're correct, but I'd encourage you not to dabble much in trapping gray areas, court gets expensive.

+1. Plus, after the critter digs around the base a bit or makes circles all night long it'll be wallowed out quite a bit. Just to be safe, make sure the chain from the base of the trap to the end of the chain is no longer than 8". On my 'yote traps, I only have 1 single link of chain - the rest of the 8" is taken up by crunch-proof swivels and shock spring.

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
Take this advice or leave it- do not set foot traps in Warren County during deer season if you want to maintain good relationships with hunting clubs there. I have been in a club there for 28 seasons so I understand that culture and the feelings that hunters have for their dogs. Anyone who says that you can just release the dogs and everything will be fine just doesn't understand.

Now as to trapping, always buy the very best equipment. It only hurts once to buy it. It hurts every time that you walk up to a set to find blown out trap jaws or a pull out when using inferior equipment.

I got coyote fever several years ago after seeing one while riding in to check otter sets one day. I bought the best equipment, good baits and lures and quality urine. I went hard at it for two months. The coyotes handed me my hat. I caught 4 in two months. I figured that I was a fair trapper, but I was out of my league in that endeavor. The next season, running the exact same area, I caught 31 in just over three weeks. What changed? I quickly learned that coyote trapping is not a casual thing that will come easy. You must first learn the animal and his habits as well as he knows them. You must learn locations and how he uses his territory. You must learn how seasonal changes affect his behavior. You must learn how changes in his habitat (farming practices, weather, logging, etc,) affect his behavior. You must learn patience and to accept failure. There is much more that I have not mentioned.

Not meaning to be rude, but anyone who thinks that he can go to the local farm supply store, buy junk traps, plop them in the ground and begin catching coyotes is in for a rude awakening. It is not as easy as the internet and some TV shows make it seem. One who has a sincere interest in trapping should associate himself with accomplished trappers (beware of armchair internet experts) and endeavor to learn everything about it. Start with easier to catch animals as success breeds success.

I manage to catch a few dumb ones, but I am still learning every day. As an example, I am currently reading, " Hoofbeats Of A Wolfer" for about the tenth time. As O'Gorman says, "You must be more dedicated to killing him then he is to living."

I hope that my ramblings are not offensive to anyone, but my one very bad fault is that I tend to be very blunt and direct in my old age.

Jimmy

919-801-2562

Hey, everyone, pay attention to this character right here. ^^^ He's the one that I spent the past two years learning from and talking to before I ever put a coyote trap on the ground.
As he says, you gotta get good, heavy stuff. I bought only a half-dozen traps to get started with this year and with those traps, fasteners, swivels, springs, anchors, etc., I have close to, if not more, than $250 in them. That doesn't include the other $200 worth of bait, lures, sifters, and other equipment to set and maintain the traps....

Dale

+1. Plus, after the critter digs around the base a bit or makes circles all night long it'll be wallowed out quite a bit. Just to be safe, make sure the chain from the base of the trap to the end of the chain is no longer than 8". On my 'yote traps, I only have 1 single link of chain - the rest of the 8" is taken up by crunch-proof swivels and shock spring.

if you have the correct springs inline you can use any length chain you want...

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
if you have the correct springs inline you can use any length chain you want...

Yep, you sure can. But when you use a long chain, the critter is able to get a running start and may snatch his foot out of the trap. I'm new to coyote trapping, but one thing I learned over a lifetime of trapping other critters is to never use any longer chain than necessary - there's no reason to use one any longer than what is required to make your set.
Long chains are good only for attaching to stuck trucks and wives....