Hogs 101 -Need advice

Fish Head

Eight Pointer
My hunting grounds have hogs. Landowner was unaware until I told him about my morning in the stand.
My focus has shifted to killin pigs. Im using a 44 mag, ladder stand & corn 😀
All & any advice appreciated. How do they eat? How do I clean one?

Last edited:

mike4592

Four Pointer
Clean em just like a deer....if there eatting your corn you got em drawed in just keep an eye on your wind there nose is better then a deer's nose

Last edited:

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
Shoot right behind the ear. Don't body shoot them, they are tough critters and can carry a bullet a long way.
If you looking to eat them kill the smaller ones under 150 lbs. 30-50 lbs piglets are perfect grill size!!

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Coral traps are the only way you will control em....all hunting will do is cause em to go nocturnal.......you will never eliminate em once established

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunter930

Six Pointer
Never had a problem body shooting them just like a deer. clean them just like a deer. If you want rid of them, dogs are the only way. What you dont kill will find residence elsewhere.They may come back, but youll sure make em leave.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
I'd carry more gun. 9 times out of 10 what ya got will get the job done, but a big boar can soak up some lead..BTDT Being in a thicket or swamp with a wounded hog sucks...

dsink

Eight Pointer
Head shoot them and you will have no problem putting them on the ground with what you are using now.

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
I'd carry more gun. 9 times out of 10 what ya got will get the job done, but a big boar can soak up some lead..BTDT Being in a thicket or swamp with a wounded hog sucks...

comical. That 44 mag (in a carbine) carries as much lead as any muzzleloader at similar velocity. And people shoot moose with a ML.

Fish Head

Eight Pointer
comical. That 44 mag (in a carbine) carries as much lead as any muzzleloader at similar velocity. And people shoot moose with a ML.

I have a Marlin, lever action 44 mag. Planned on using 230 grain hollow points. Someone told me yesterday to not use hollow points.
Opinions???

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
As has been mentioned, head shots (side of head not forehead) will drop em in their tracks. Body shots will kill but you will have very little to no blood trail. And a wounded, pissed off pig is not something I want to walk up on. Clean em like a deer; a bit aggravating but just skin it and gut. You can process them quicker also as the meat doesn't need to age. If making all sausage it's actually better to do it before cooling the meat as it will take the seasoning better.

dsink

Eight Pointer
I have a Marlin, lever action 44 mag. Planned on using 230 grain hollow points. Someone told me yesterday to not use hollow points.
Opinions???

I would use a good 240 grain soft point. You are more after penetration with a good flat point bullet than you are after expansion. You put a 44 mag 240 grain soft point out of a rifle into a hogs head and theres not a hog around that would'nt drop in his tracks.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
. If you want rid of them, dogs are the only way. What you dont kill will find residence elsewhere.They may come back, but youll sure make em leave.
Feral pigs are like herpes.....once you get them you will NEVER get rid of em........and dogs are one of the least effective ways to get rid of em.........only behind hunting them....traps are the most effective method and then all you are doing is slowing the rate of reproduction.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mdunker

Ten Pointer
They will go nocturnal after you kill a few. Get you a nice red light setup and also hunt them at night. They will come to the corn at about the same time each day/night. Set up a camera over the corn and find out what time they are coming. Have an automatic weapon and have fun.

mike4592

Four Pointer
You will never kill em all but can thin em down but all 3 methods need to be done still hunting,dog hunting an trapping put enough pressure on them they will move out the area for a while

rem1148

Well here is my opinion. Trapping does work well but they do get trap shy once they see there family caught and killed. Hound hunting is my preferred method because I like the race and the catch with hounds or bulldog. If you get out run a few times by the same hog they will get wise and take your hounds on an all day run. We have very good hounds and get out run at least 30-40% of the time. Yes, We probably catch 6 or 7 out of 10. We`re in the process of breeding some speed into the pack now but that takes time. You can be successful still hunting them but patients is your virtue. mdunker has given good advise from his experience. Pick your poison and go have fun! Oh yea, WE all carry 44 mag handguns. Mine is a ruger vaquero because I prefer single action cowboy guns. Get you one and shoot it until you don't have to look at the sights to hit your mark at 10 or 12 ft. Just point and shoot. I can point mine and put them in a 2.5 inch bullseye at 10 ft. all day. It should become and extention of your hand and arm. There will be no tracking, no squealing, nothing but the hogs cough and it`ll be done! Also, If you go hunt with someone else`s hounds they may not let you shoot. Those factory 44`s will blow thru a hog and kill a dog dead. I load down a hand cast hard lead, wide meplat, 300gr. bullet with blue dot powder and its only runnin around 650 fps. from my 5.5 inch bbl. Sorry if I`ve rambled. Have fun, be safe!

big_chin

kill as many as you can, however you can. dogs, traps, corn piles, whatever works. helicopters have become very popular back in Texas and Louisiana if you've got cash to burn, load up with a few hundred rounds of ammo and your favorite magazine fed semi auto and go to town.

eat the small ones, use the big ones as gut piles for the coyotes.

I haven't seen much of hog hunting in NC since moving here which is good imo, they're a nightmare to get rid of once they take hold and breed twice a year so you'll never get ahead of them. when I was in high school back in Texas, local farmers were offering $5 a snout, wish I would have taken advantage of this more b/c a few of my buddies were making some easy money for a few hours of work over corn piles soaked in diesel. running them down with dogs can be pretty damn intense, especially if it's not your dogs and the owner won't allow guns and your knife is the only option of dispatching them. I used a spear on a hunt once, about as primal as it gets aside from a long knife but a little bit safer. the only downside to dogs is you're not killing as many as a good trap or bait pile.