Robert Brown Ph.D "Blast" Representative Roger West

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
boatless, you forgot about in a freaking cooler because somebody got cheap and didn't want to have their meat deboned or the skull cleaned before they brought it home. I honestly think it'll come in that way before it does naturally.

Jon, I'm not gonna participate in back and forths about David Cobb or Gordon Myers. That's not my place and I won't get drawn into it. I have had conversations with members of the WRC, however. I will say that I honestly believe if they felt there was a live test that was equal or better than the current one they'd be using it. The USDA has not issued a certification for one yet that meets the criteria. It just hasn't. The problem is that even if the tests are "testing well", they have to be proven. You don't do that over just a year or two. Add to that what I said about the "one." If the test is 97% accurate, that leaves 3 out of every 100 that could possibly slip through. It only takes 1. Nothing's ever going to be 100%, but they owe it to us to be as thorough as they can. I've often said, and I still stand by it, the priorities of the management biologist should be in this order: 1) the good of the resource, 2) the stakeholders. That means putting the health of the deer herd in NC above the profits of some deer farmers. That's just a fact of life. If you disagree that's fine, but you won't convince me otherwise.

As far as other states not having massive die-offs, don't you think their wildlife agencies deserve at least some credit for being proactive and containing it there? Just a thought. As far as states "not conforming to their own standards" you keep insinuating that NC brought in deer. When has the state done this? Every example you've used has been the feds bringing them in on FEDERAL land. The state has no authority over federal land. The feds usually conform to the NCWRC wishes as a courtesy, but they can (and have) thumbed their nose at the state before as well. In the end the state can't stop the feds from doing anything they want to do on federal land. If you want to get mad at somebody there get mad at the USFWS or National Park Service, since they're the ones that have been guilty in your examples. You can't use the NPS as an example of hypocrisy in the NCWRC. That's about like saying you're yard is trashy because the neighbor 5 houses down doesn't mow his yard. It makes about that much sense.

Wildlifepro51

Back in May in April in our task force meeting wrc said there were no live test available . I countered and said yes there were and I produced them at the second meeting in May, Cobb wanted to make copies of it . I only gave him a partial of the 400 page file. Dr Palomar and I had a very pleasant conversation over lunch on it. I don't blame you for not wanting to get into the Cobb, Meyers thing. As far as other states containing it, They cannot control deer and elk migrations out west. I seen for years elk migrate from as far down as Rifle Colorado up to Bags Wyoming and on the front range from as far down as Gunnison and up to Casper and Laramie . They cross state borders all the time and that cannot be controlled . I seen collered mule deer buck in upper Min travel 200 miles this past year. In breaking it down it all started in Colorado. They they brought deer and elk in and out of the scrappie pens , The transported deer to the Denver zoo, They transported animals to SD and up to Canada. And the infected brain matter was sent from Dr Beth Williams to UW Madison. and infected deer from Charminy farms escaped from the facility into the wild by researchers leaving the gates open on several occasions . The first deer found with it were wild deer just outside the facility in WI . So it all started with wildlife and not the farmers as the media and qdmrs claim it to be. I know that the wrc trapped deer here in state and relocated them to other counties in the western part on NC. They did not have any travel permits or health certificates. I don't know where we got mixed up saying the state brought in deer from outside. I know the Cherokee nation did but they are their own nation and do not fall under NC state regs . The blame games just need to stop and their should be some working together if possible to stop the possible threat. But again this is not the massive deer killer that the media and independent groups claims it has been. And yes Not just the state agencies are to blame ,US fish and wildlife and NPS are to be held responsible also. Its just getting old from these guys saying deer hunting needs to be our way and its the best way, Im sorry one size shoe does not fit all here . I have a couple pics Im trying to post that were sent to me three days ago with 2 full body elk cows on the back of a open trailer with a hunter rig and atvs pulling it from CO across Kansas Missouri Indiana and Illinois. You want to talk about potential spread on a trailer I have a pic for you. I have tried several times to upload it but it tells me invalid file and I cannot upload it. I will reformat it and try again.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Out of all those examples the only one the NCWRC was involved in was an intrastate transfer that basically happened because the Cherokee nation was gonna do it anyway. At least they contained the transfer to within our own state where CWD hasn't yet been found.

As far as your hunter example with the cow elk, I agree. That's incredibly stupid and probably violating numerous laws in each state they pass through. I never said deer farmers were the only ones to blame, but lets face it, they are the most likely. It's coming, it's just a matter of time. I'd rather postpone it as long as I can.

Wildlifepro51

I also agree it was very stupid to transport as they did but this happens all the time every year and no one seems to care. If I cannot post the pics I have pm me your email and I will forward them to you. Quick question? What platform would you base your statement on as deer farmers are most likely? Thanks

BR549

Twelve Pointer
Rep. Roger West "Double's Down" with December 8th "Kangaroo Court" Date

NORTH CAROLINA HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
COMMITTEE MEETING NOTICE
AND
BILL SPONSOR NOTIFICATION
2013-2014 SESSION

You are hereby notified that the House Select Committee on Regulatory Authority and Operations of the NC Wildife Resources Commission will meet as follows:

DAY & DATE: Monday, December 8, 2014
TIME: 10:00 AM
COMMENTS: The House Select Committee on Regulatory Authority and Operations of the NC Wildlife Commission will be meeting on Monday, December 8th in Robbinsville, North Carolina at the Stecoah Valley Cultural Arts Center, 121 Schoolhouse Road

Respectfully,

Representative Tom Murry, Co-Chair
Representative Roger West, Co-Chair

I hereby certify this notice was filed by the committee assistant at the following offices at 12:17 PM on Monday, November 24, 2014.

___ Principal Clerk

___ Reading Clerk – House Chamber

Linda C. Johnson (Committee Assistant)

--

Last edited:

BR549

Twelve Pointer
Is Rep. Roger West is going to share this piece in his "Kangaroo Court" on 12/8?

October 29, 2014

POSITION STATEMENT REGARDING
CHRONIC WASTING DISEASE (CWD)

The Northeast Association of Fish & Wildlife Agencies (NEAFWA) is extremely concerned about the potential spread of Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) in the white-tailed deer population within the Northeast. All available measures should be employed to prevent or contain the spread of CWD in the region.

CWD is one of a group of diseases called transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSEs), caused by an abnormal form of a cellular protein called a prion which accumulates in lymphoid and nervous tissue and can pass from the animal in its body fluids and waste. Native species, such as white-tailed deer, elk, moose, and mule deer, and non-native sika deer, reindeer and muntjac deer are known to be susceptible to CWD. The full extent of susceptible cervids is unknown. Chronic wasting disease is inevitably fatal, but it often takes one or more years for symptoms to appear. No treatment or vaccine is available. A well-documented method of spreading CWD across long distances is the movement of live cervids for commercial purposes. To date, CWD has been documented in wild or captive herds of white-tailed deer in five states (MD, NY, PA, VA, and WV) within the region.

NEAFWA urges every state and province within the region to take all possible measures to prevent the additional introduction and further spread of CWD. These measures should include (1) restrict or eliminate captive cervid operations or, at minimum, prohibit all interstate movement of animals from those herds; (2) prohibit the movement of intact carcasses of hunter harvested CWD-susceptible cervids from known CWD-affected areas; (3) restrict or eliminate products manufactured from captive cervids, including their urine; and (4) maintain prohibitions on feeding and baiting deer where it currently is prohibited, and eliminate the practice of feeding and baiting deer elsewhere unless deemed necessary for managing overabundant deer populations.

If CWD is detected in any state or province within the region, NEAFWA urges strict adherence by that state or province to guidelines set forth in the NEAFWA Chronic Wasting Disease Plan (Northeast Association of Fish & Wildlife Agencies, 2006).

This position paper was adopted by the Northeast Association of Fish and Wildlife Agency Directors at their Fall Business meeting on October 29, 2014 in Rhinebeck NY.

Last edited:

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
I also agree it was very stupid to transport as they did but this happens all the time every year and no one seems to care. If I cannot post the pics I have pm me your email and I will forward them to you. Quick question? What platform would you base your statement on as deer farmers are most likely? Thanks

Deer farmers are the only ones that move live deer across state lines with regularity. Whitetails don't make the big migrations you spoke of concerning elk and mule deer. Most hunters obey the laws concerning transport of meat and skulls (though you do have the occasional idiot).

Wildlifepro51

Ok , Out west whitetails and mule deer share a lot of the same range and they over lap . They also share the range with elk and the sheep herders that bring their animals to graze in open range for the late spring and summer. Again they go and come as they please . My family had a guiding operation for 28 years in CO. So I have seen it first hand. I have seen whitetails and mule deer and elk all grazing in alfalfa fields in the front range in fields at the same time from Chief Hosa Pass to the Kansas border and up to Laramie Wy. and also on the Neb border. This has been going on for years and whitetails as their numbers have grown have even pushed back mule deer in a lot of areas . I also seen for many years hunters that pour into Co for the first and second rifle season from down in Rifle Co and very heavy in Meeker & Craig Its like something you never seen before , You have several thousand hunters all with campers, four wheelers and trailers that flood the towns, camp grounds and park areas . I have also seen for many years these guys not handle their meet properly and yes just bring the whole thing back across state lines . Their are guys out there that have mobile processing stations set up at campgrounds and they will skin and cut op you game and wrap it for you. But when done they just take the hides and put them in special dumpsters for the boyscouts and the carcass remains and skull are just thrown in bone piles out in BLM land or along road sides. I also know of a quite a few outfitters that have above ground bone yards they dump remains on their property where Yotes, bears , ravens , magpies, crows and buzzards pick up and transport these potential contaminated remains.

We double bagged all our remains and put them in a dumpster to go to a landfill that had a liner in it.As for guys obeying the law it is fair but most of the folks that show up out there are from the east and are not well versed in proper animal care or up on capeing or deboning and transport Regs. They just don't know or take the time to review them. The CO DOW does a pretty good job of checking people as best they can and tell you I have been stopped but DOW when I would have 6 or 8 field dressed elk in the back of the truck that were wrapped up and had hunters licence tags wired to the front leg. Buy they cannot get to everyone because its like a mass exodus out there during elk season. In all our years we never had a positive cwd test from any of the animals we submitted for testing and never saw a sick animal on any of our 45,000 acres.

Anyway moving along, Im glad to see you and I can talk sensible between us right now. On you statement that deer farmers move more animals across state lines with regularity what form of information do you base that statement on? Thanks.

Last edited:

Wildlifepro51

October 29, 2014

POSITION STATEMENT REGARDING
CHRONIC WASTING DISEASE (CWD)

The Northeast Association of Fish & Wildlife Agencies (NEAFWA) is extremely concerned about the potential spread of Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) in the white-tailed deer population within the Northeast. All available measures should be employed to prevent or contain the spread of CWD in the region.

CWD is one of a group of diseases called transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSEs), caused by an abnormal form of a cellular protein called a prion which accumulates in lymphoid and nervous tissue and can pass from the animal in its body fluids and waste. Native species, such as white-tailed deer, elk, moose, and mule deer, and non-native sika deer, reindeer and muntjac deer are known to be susceptible to CWD. The full extent of susceptible cervids is unknown. Chronic wasting disease is inevitably fatal, but it often takes one or more years for symptoms to appear. No treatment or vaccine is available. A well-documented method of spreading CWD across long distances is the movement of live cervids for commercial purposes. To date, CWD has been documented in wild or captive herds of white-tailed deer in five states (MD, NY, PA, VA, and WV) within the region.

NEAFWA urges every state and province within the region to take all possible measures to prevent the additional introduction and further spread of CWD. These measures should include (1) restrict or eliminate captive cervid operations or, at minimum, prohibit all interstate movement of animals from those herds; (2) prohibit the movement of intact carcasses of hunter harvested CWD-susceptible cervids from known CWD-affected areas; (3) restrict or eliminate products manufactured from captive cervids, including their urine; and (4) maintain prohibitions on feeding and baiting deer where it currently is prohibited, and eliminate the practice of feeding and baiting deer elsewhere unless deemed necessary for managing overabundant deer populations.

If CWD is detected in any state or province within the region, NEAFWA urges strict adherence by that state or province to guidelines set forth in the NEAFWA Chronic Wasting Disease Plan (Northeast Association of Fish & Wildlife Agencies, 2006).

This position paper was adopted by the Northeast Association of Fish and Wildlife Agency Directors at their Fall Business meeting on October 29, 2014 in Rhinebeck NY.

LD and Catfisher , Its these liberal activist like the poster that can never produce anything but cut and paste with no fact checking, that is part of the scaremongering.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Ok , Out west whitetails and mule deer share a lot of the same range and they over lap . They also share the range with elk and the sheep herders that bring their animals to graze in open range for the late spring and summer. Again they go and come as they please . My family had a guiding operation for 28 years in CO. So I have seen it first hand. I have seen whitetails and mule deer and elk all grazing in alfalfa fields in the front range in fields at the same time from Chief Hosa Pass to the Kansas border and up to Laramie Wy. and also on the Neb border. This has been going on for years and whitetails as their numbers have grown have even pushed back mule deer in a lot of areas . I also seen for many years hunters that pour into Co for the first and second rifle season from down in Rifle Co and very heavy in Meeker & Craig Its like something you never seen before , You have several thousand hunters all with campers, four wheelers and trailers that flood the towns, camp grounds and park areas . I have also seen for many years these guys not handle their meet properly and yes just bring the whole thing back across state lines . Their are guys out there that have mobile processing stations set up at campgrounds and they will skin and cut op you game and wrap it for you. But when done they just take the hides and put them in special dumpsters for the boyscouts and the carcass remains and skull are just thrown in bone piles out in BLM land or along road sides. I also know of a quite a few outfitters that have above ground bone yards they dump remains on their property where Yotes, bears , ravens , magpies, crows and buzzards pick up and transport these potential contaminated remains.

We double bagged all our remains and put them in a dumpster to go to a landfill that had a liner in it.As for guys obeying the law it is fair but most of the folks that show up out there are from the east and are not well versed in proper animal care or up on capeing or deboning and transport Regs. They just don't know or take the time to review them. The CO DOW does a pretty good job of checking people as best they can and tell you I have been stopped but DOW when I would have 6 or 8 field dressed elk in the back of the truck that were wrapped up and had hunters licence tags wired to the front leg. Buy they cannot get to everyone because its like a mass exodus out there during elk season. In all our years we never had a positive cwd test from any of the animals we submitted for testing and never saw a sick animal on any of our 45,000 acres.

Anyway moving along, Im glad to see you and I can talk sensible between us right now. On you statement that deer farmers move more animals across state lines with regularity what form of information do you base that statement on? Thanks.

I'll admit, I'm not well versed on what happens out west, but I'm still pretty sure hunters aren't moving live deer out of state. In the end, I'm talking about CWD coming here, and we don't have those large migrations east of the big river. No, I'm not ignorant of the many dead cervids that come in our state every year, many of which illegally (some out of ignorance, others out of negligence), but the average hunter tries to do the right thing. States recognize this threat, and that's why they've passed laws banning the importation of certain parts and pieces. Like you said, it won't stop all of them, but it helps slow it down.

Anyway, back to deer farmers, who (other than the government) would have the means, ability, and motivation to move live deer across state lines on a regular basis? This is just intuitive to me. Am I missing something?

BR549

Twelve Pointer
Same "Movie" different "State".

Again, plain and simple no one within North Carolina can "Legally" Sell a Whitetail Deer or an Elk. As they are defined as Wildlife and indistinguishable whether in the wild or in a captive environment.

Tennessee House Bill 3164 failed just two years ago, the video contained below really outlines the same issue that was overwhelmingly defeated within our neighboring state.

http://archive.wbir.com/news/article/206991/0/White-tailed-deer-could-soon-be-farmed-in-TN

Last edited:

Wildlifepro51

No bud your ok and not missing anything, Producers don't move as many deer as the media or the special interest groups claim, Now there is more semen sold than anything. 60% of a bucks DNA comes from the doe. Your does are a key to building good bucks and guys have been over the years been able to stack their does and build good genetic bloodlines. There is not as much deer movement across state lines again as the general public has been led to believe. None of those guys want any disease in there herd and take some of the biggest safety precautions there is as well as they test 100% of all their animals . Does wildlife test at 100 % No they don't, Does wildlife have the knowledge on deer health or deer diseases as USDA does. No they don't. A producer/ farmer follows USDA protocols wildlife both state and federal exempt themselves from these guidelines and that's not right.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
The WRC doesn't have the money or means to test every single deer killed by hunters. That's just not gonna happen. There was over 188,000 deer killed in NC last year alone. That's a bit more than the few dozen a deer farm may have to test annually. Out of those 188,000 the WRC collected almost 4,000 samples from hunters that were all tested for CWD. Thankfully all came back negative. Now, granted that's only about 2% of the deer killed in NC, but even you have to admit that's impressive for a volunteer effort. Does anybody really want mandatory check-in to come back?

Wildlifepro51

They actually tested 3800 , If you look at a state of 48,000 sq miles that's only averaging 1 deer per every 155 sq miles. I think the state needs to do away with the 800 # call in your kill as its just not accurate . I know of folks over the years that never call in their deer unless it a big one. I think it would be great to have game checking stations and deer harvested taken to these game checking stations, There age, antler /number of points recorded sex, and tissue samples can be collected. They need to do away with spot lighting period as that's plain stupid un sportsman like and no one wants someone shining their private property at night. and shooting yotes at night during deer season just made the poaching problem more difficult for enforcement. I know several wardens that thought that was a pretty stupid move on the commission. They have a tough enough time as it is this time of year.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Do you actually think people that won't take the 5 minutes to register a deer on the Internet or phone are going to drive to a check station? Not to mention the manpower that would require. Would you task the Gamelands crews with that? Or the game wardens? Logistics are a big reason they went to the online reporting. A 100% sampling just isn't realistic. The commission doesn't have that much money. Believe it or not, it's the Wildlife commission, not the Deer commission.

Wildlifepro51

The wrc has $100,000,000 in their fund and just received another $20,000,000 from gun sales. A check station can be anywhere in a county, a local Vol fire dept, Local feed store or sporting goods store. Or Deer processors or a licenced taxidermist. I have talked with quite a few of taxidermist and they would be happy to do this as its also potential revenue for them to do business . The same for processors. Its all volunteer and builds good community relations.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Again, you really think people that won't take 5 minutes to call one in are going to drive to a check station? Somehow I doubt it.

BR549

Twelve Pointer
The wrc has $100,000,000 in their fund and just received another $20,000,000 from gun sales. A check station can be anywhere in a county, a local Vol fire dept, Local feed store or sporting goods store. Or Deer processors or a licenced taxidermist. I have talked with quite a few of taxidermist and they would be happy to do this as its also potential revenue for them to do business . The same for processors. Its all volunteer and builds good community relations.

You need to fully understand what the Endowment Fund expenditures / funds can and cannot be used for. I expect you could reach out to Eddie Bridgers and he'd be more than happy to let you pull a chair up to the "Big Boy" table on a "Temporary" basis and fully school you on the topic.

He'ed probably ask that you remind lawmaker Roger West as well, since he had to be educated on the "Law" two yrs ago when he slashed conservation appropriation from $18M - $9M with one "Puff" of his "Boss Hog" Cigar http://vimeo.com/110344531 and a stroke of his pen.

Ultimately after much conversation it was upped a few Million but nevertheless just one more "Marquis" career achievement for Roger West and a dark day for North Carolina Conservation.

Rep. Roger West... Strong on "Special Interest"... Weak on "Conservation"...

Last edited:

BR549

Twelve Pointer
re·cused, re·cus·ing, re·cus·-

To disqualify or seek to disqualify from participation in a decision on grounds such as prejudice or personal involvement.

BR549

Twelve Pointer
Take that $20M that NC rcvd from Pittman Roberson Money and one could make the case it could be reduced my 18% as a result too??

By Paul A. Smith of the Journal Sentinel
Updated Nov. 24, 2014

Hunters registered 90,281 white-tailed deer over the opening weekend of the 2014 Wisconsin gun deer hunting season, an 18% drop from 2013, according to a preliminary harvest report issued Monday by the Department of Natural Resources.

Wildlifepro51

Again folks all this from a person that can only google the net and copy and past and alter words with not first hand info or experience. Again he has his figures wrong on deer numbers in WI .These are the people that are part of the problem and just stir the liberal stew pot . These people are not taken seriously anyway by folks with common sense. They just hide behind the screen of their computer . But a couple of these people should have a knock on their door in the near future with some papers to answer for all the misrepresentation and personal /public attacks they have made. :skeerd:

BR549

Twelve Pointer
Again folks all this from a person that can only google the net and copy and past and alter words with not first hand info or experience. Again he has his figures wrong on deer numbers in WI .These are the people that are part of the problem and just stir the liberal stew pot . These people are not taken seriously anyway by folks with common sense. They just hide behind the screen of their computer . But a couple of these people should have a knock on their door in the near future with some papers to answer for all the misrepresentation and personal /public attacks they have made. :skeerd:

The opening weekend traditionally accounts for more than half of the kill for the nine-day season. If the 2014 Wisconsin deer harvest follows form, it would be the lowest since 1981 when 166,673 deer were taken by gun hunters.

The opening weekend kill in 2013 was 110,797 (53,865 bucks and 56,932 antlerless) and in 2012 it was 134,772 (71,989 bucks and 62,783 antlerless).

The opening weekend traditionally accounts for more than half of the kill for the nine-day season. If the 2014 Wisconsin deer harvest follows form, it would be the lowest since 1981 when 166,673 deer were taken by gun hunters.

Wisconsin sold 589,830 deer hunting licenses as of opening day, a drop of 26,042 (4.2%) from the same time in 2013.

The sales included 30,751 nonresident licenses and 21,862 first-time buyers.

Last edited:

BR549

Twelve Pointer
Conservation Values Teaches Us...

We learn lessons from our mentors while being outdoors for an experience that simply cannot be mastered from the desk or the couch. Here in North Carolina we are passionate about learning the same lessons ourselves as we are about sharing the hunting heritage with those that follow...

We hope to inspire, and remain inspired by those that we have the opportunity to share a meaningful harvest with while passing along deep ethical values.

I trust all enjoyed a bountiful Thanksgiving...

Last edited:

BR549

Twelve Pointer
Velvet Provision included in Rep. Roger West, 2014 "Pork" Budget Bill...

attachment.php

Volume 15, Number 5—May 2009

Research: Chronic Wasting Disease Prions in Elk Antler Velvet

Authors: Rachel C. Angers, Tanya S. Seward, Dana Napier, Michael Green, Edward Hoover, Terry Spraker, Katherine O’Rourke, Aru Balachandran, and Glenn C. Telling

Author affiliations: University of Kentucky Medical Center, Lexington, Kentucky, USA (R.C. Angers, T.S. Seward, D. Napier, M. Green, G.C. Telling); Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado, USA (E. Hoover, T. Spraker); US Department of Agriculture, Pullman, Washington, USA (K. O’Rourke); Canadian Food Inspection Agency, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada (A. Balachandran); 1Current affiliation: Medical Research Council Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge, UK.

Abstract

Chronic wasting disease (CWD) is a contagious, fatal prion disease of deer and elk that continues to emerge in new locations. To explore the means by which prions are transmitted with high efficiency among cervids, we examined prion infectivity in the apical skin layer covering the growing antler (antler velvet) by using CWD-susceptible transgenic mice and protein misfolding cyclic amplification.

Our finding of prions in antler velvet of CWD-affected elk suggests that this tissue may play a role in disease transmission among cervids. Humans who consume antler velvet as a nutritional supplement are at risk for exposure to prions.

The fact that CWD prion incubation times in transgenic mice expressing elk prion protein are consistently more rapid raises the possibility that residue 226, the sole primary structural difference between deer and elk prion protein, may be a major determinant of CWD pathogenesis.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/15/5/08-1458_article

Velvet.jpg

Last edited:

Wildlifepro51

Once again above statements from someone with no knowledge of the industry and promotes liberal scaremongering So You want the truth about who is really responsible for the initial spread State Game Agencies and not the deer farmers as groups like camo coalition qdma wildlife federation wildlife society HSUS tout without factual science to back up their statements. Im going to share with you the origins of this so you can see for youselves where it all started and how it was spread across the country. While the evidence of the origin of CWD back in the 1960's is validated , the movement of the disease since then is not at all ambiguous. While CSU has not made any specific animal information available, Colorado Open Records requests and the CDOW have published a portion of their research activities, which acknowledged exposed research animals co-mingled with wild study subjects. Captive wild deer held in contaminated pens escaped, were returned to the wild, or when dead, were disposed of in an unknown fashion. Further, exposed animals were given or sold to zoos, universities and private individuals.(Mule Deer and Elk) Diseased tissue samples were sent around the continent. In 1996, CDOW internal documents (See inset memo above) admitted the potential liability of the CDOW for the eventual and possible introduction of CWD into domestic elk herds. While some mitigation steps were then taken in 1997, such as providing double fence materials, by 1999 the disease had entered the Colorado domestic farms, but was fortunately caught by mandatory industry surveillance and was eliminated by 2002.

Wildlifepro51

Once again above statements from someone with no knowledge of the industry and promotes liberal scaremongering So You want the truth about who is really responsible for the initial spread State Game Agencies and not the deer farmers as groups like camo coalition qdma wildlife federation wildlife society HSUS tout without factual science to back up their statements. Im going to share with you the origins of this so you can see for youselves where it all started and how it was spread across the country. While the evidence of the origin of CWD back in the 1960's is validated , the movement of the disease since then is not at all ambiguous. While CSU has not made any specific animal information available, Colorado Open Records requests and the CDOW have published a portion of their research activities, which acknowledged exposed research animals co-mingled with wild study subjects. Captive wild deer held in contaminated pens escaped, were returned to the wild, or when dead, were disposed of in an unknown fashion. Further, exposed animals were given or sold to zoos, universities and private individuals.(Mule Deer and Elk) Diseased tissue samples were sent around the continent. In 1996, CDOW internal documents (See inset memo above) admitted the potential liability of the CDOW for the eventual and possible introduction of CWD into domestic elk herds. While some mitigation steps were then taken in 1997, such as providing double fence materials, by 1999 the disease had entered the Colorado domestic farms, but was fortunately caught by mandatory industry surveillance and was eliminated by 2002.Colorado: Below is your early days from my files dating back to 96.
-- All known cases of CWD ultimately trace back to the Foothills Research Facility in Ft. Collins, Colorado
-- eastern Larimer Coounty and S. Platte River corridor have most free-ranging CWD deer
-- 2,500 deer and elk from NE Colorado, incidence of CWD steady at 5-7% in deer, 1% in elk by IHC 1995-97
-- 350 deer and elk from other areas in Colorado tested negative by IHC 1995-97
-- 85 CWD-positive cervids have been identified in the endemic area of Colorado and Wyoming 1981-1997
-- 0.4% in 487 elk tested from 1992-1996; 2.9% in 687 mule eer examined from 1983-1996.
-- More than 400 samples from cervids outside the endemic area of Colorado and Wyoming have been negative.�

Wyoming: [based in part on mid 1998 brochure by Chris Madson sent 1 Feb 99,
-- infected Fish and Game research facility in Laramie; 3 failed decontamination efforts
-- CWD found in wild elk and deer
-- Swapped animals with Ft. Collins facility for many years.
-- "between 1974 and 1979, 66 mule deer and 1 black-tail were held in captive in Colorado and Wyoming research corrals, mainly as subjects in long-term studies of deer food habits and nutrition. Of these 67 long-term residents, 57 contracted the strange disease. None survived."
-- between 1981 and 1985, 60 cases in the wild were found: 44 in mule deer, 6 in white-tailed, and 10 in elk. The first affected wild Wyoming elk was found in 1986. First clinically affected captive animal found in 1978.
-- the 1997 Wyoming survey obtained usable samples from137 deer in hunting units 16, 59, 60, 62,63, and 64. 8 positives were found, of which 7 were from unit 64.
-- 93 samples in 1997 from units 15, 55,57, and 73 tested negative. 15 elk samples from areas 5, 7, 12, 13, 21, 82, and 110
-- of the 100 cases reported in the wild, 11 have been found in Wyoming. Now move forward 15 years and see how its advanced due to poor game management policies and during this time the elk herds have doubled in Colorado as well as deer herds have increased 31% at the same time.

Last edited:

Wildlifepro51

Once again above statements from someone with no knowledge of the industry and promotes liberal scaremongering So You want the truth about who is really responsible for the initial spread State Game Agencies and not the deer farmers as groups like camo coalition qdma wildlife federation wildlife society HSUS tout without factual science to back up their statements. Im going to share with you the origins of this so you can see for youselves where it all started and how it was spread across the country. While the evidence of the origin of CWD back in the 1960's is validated , the movement of the disease since then is not at all ambiguous. While CSU has not made any specific animal information available, Colorado Open Records requests and the CDOW have published a portion of their research activities, which acknowledged exposed research animals co-mingled with wild study subjects. Captive wild deer held in contaminated pens escaped, were returned to the wild, or when dead, were disposed of in an unknown fashion. Further, exposed animals were given or sold to zoos, universities and private individuals.(Mule Deer and Elk) Diseased tissue samples were sent around the continent. In 1996, CDOW internal documents (See inset memo above) admitted the potential liability of the CDOW for the eventual and possible introduction of CWD into domestic elk herds. While some mitigation steps were then taken in 1997, such as providing double fence materials, by 1999 the disease had entered the Colorado domestic farms, but was fortunately caught by mandatory industry surveillance and was eliminated by 2002.Colorado: Below is your early days from my files dating back to 96.
-- All known cases of CWD ultimately trace back to the Foothills Research Facility in Ft. Collins, Colorado
-- eastern Larimer Coounty and S. Platte River corridor have most free-ranging CWD deer
-- 2,500 deer and elk from NE Colorado, incidence of CWD steady at 5-7% in deer, 1% in elk by IHC 1995-97
-- 350 deer and elk from other areas in Colorado tested negative by IHC 1995-97
-- 85 CWD-positive cervids have been identified in the endemic area of Colorado and Wyoming 1981-1997
-- 0.4% in 487 elk tested from 1992-1996; 2.9% in 687 mule eer examined from 1983-1996.
-- More than 400 samples from cervids outside the endemic area of Colorado and Wyoming have been negative.�

Wyoming: [based in part on mid 1998 brochure by Chris Madson sent 1 Feb 99,
-- infected Fish and Game research facility in Laramie; 3 failed decontamination efforts
-- CWD found in wild elk and deer
-- Swapped animals with Ft. Collins facility for many years.
-- "between 1974 and 1979, 66 mule deer and 1 black-tail were held in captive in Colorado and Wyoming research corrals, mainly as subjects in long-term studies of deer food habits and nutrition. Of these 67 long-term residents, 57 contracted the strange disease. None survived."
-- between 1981 and 1985, 60 cases in the wild were found: 44 in mule deer, 6 in white-tailed, and 10 in elk. The first affected wild Wyoming elk was found in 1986. First clinically affected captive animal found in 1978.
-- the 1997 Wyoming survey obtained usable samples from137 deer in hunting units 16, 59, 60, 62,63, and 64. 8 positives were found, of which 7 were from unit 64.
-- 93 samples in 1997 from units 15, 55,57, and 73 tested negative. 15 elk samples from areas 5, 7, 12, 13, 21, 82, and 110 were also negative.
-- of the 100 cases reported in the wild, 11 have been found in Wyoming.

SO IF CWD IS PREDOMINATELY AN UNCONTROLLED WILD CERVID DISEASE, WHY ARE CERVIDS FARMERS SUBJECTED TO CONTINUING ONEROUS REGULATIONS? Quite simply, an agenda to defer attention and responsibility away from the ongoing wild problem. The Zero CWD risk currently demanded of farmers via excessive regulations, regulations not based upon scientific fact, will NOT have a significant impact upon the steady progress of the wild disease. Onerous rules serve only to eliminate farmers from a private business that "competes" with government agencies; agencies which desire to control cervid species, exclusively. To date, scores of farmers have been put out of business with virtually NO impact on the rampant progression of wild disease. "FACTS from the Farm" suggests that corrective, scientifically justified regulations and procedures are now necessary.

Wildlifepro51

MORE PROOF THAT WILDLIFE AGENCIES ARE OUR INITAL CAUSE FOR CWD SPREAD
Historical records and interviews have been used to ascertain the potential to which wild cervid populations may have been exposed to chronic wasting disease (CWD) from research activities of the Colorado Division of Wildlife (CDOW) and collaborators that used animals from the CDOW’s Foothills Wildlife Research Facility (FWRF) in Fort Collins, Colorado. The general principle at FWRF, at least since 1985, has been that deer or elk, once born in, or brought to the facility, do not leave. This was not always true, and the following are summaries of projects where captive animals associated with FWRF have been placed in contact with wild populations.

Elk Research in Rocky Mountain National Park (RMNP) Conducted between 1976 and 1978, this study used 5 tame elk obtained from Sybile Wildlife Research Unit in Wyoming and the Denver Zoo. The tame elk grazed freely in selected areas of the park for 75 - minute feeding trials. The total time each animal spent in feeding trials was 260 hours over the 2 years of fieldwork. The tame animals were maintained in a holding pen at Little Horseshoe Park at RMNP in November – March and June – September both years. The tame animals never were held at FWRF prior to or during the study, but instead were reared and held at holding pens south of the Division offices on Prospect Road, Fort Collins. These pens had sheep in them prior that had been diagnosed with Scrapie.

The tame elk were taken to FWRF after the study in 1978 and, approximately 3 years after they had last been at RMNP, 2 of the animals showed clinical symptoms of CWD and died in 1981. The remaining 3 were euthanized in 1985 (when all cervids at FWRF were killed). CWD was not detected via histopathology.

Elk & Cattle Competition Research at Little Snake Wildlife Management Area, 19 miles north of Maybell, CO conducted between 1986 and 1990, any potential exposure to CWD would have occurred in the final 2 years, 1989 – 1990. Eleven elk captured as calves in RMNP and then reared in chlorine-treated pens at FWRF were used in the study and were returned to FWRF at the end of each field season. 4 of these elk eventually were found to have CWD; the remainder, including 4 that still live, did not contract the disease. One of the CWD elk died at FWRF, between the 1989 and 1990 field seasons. Another died in May 1991, more than 1 year after the study was terminated. The other CWD deaths occurred in June 1992 and February 1995, again at FWRF. These cases are described in Miller et al., 1998.

152 wild elk were also at the Little Snake study facility during the time of potential exposure, and subsequently were released in place, back to the wild. The maximum potential exposure consisted of the potential for nose-to-nose contact between 10 wild elk and from 1 to 4 possible CWD elk (tame) across an electrified fence during two 4.5-month periods. The remaining wild elk had potential exposure from the excreta deposited by tame elk during a single 2-hour grazing trial in each pasture each of two years (4 hours total/pasture). Since not all tame elk entered all pastures, and numbers of wild elk in each pasture varied, the numbers given are the maxima.

Middle Park Deer Studies, Federal Aid Projects W-038-R (Source data are lacking – the following information comes from secondary sources, including Federal Aid reports). - The Junction Butte captive animal facility (near Kremmling, CO) and FWRF shared a number of deer during the late 1970s - these deer typically were held at Junction Butte during the summer and at FWRF during the winter. In the period 1975 – 1985, at least 2 mule deer at Junction Butte displayed symptoms thought to indicate CWD and died. Other mule deer (5 – 7) at Junction Butte displayed similar symptoms and were destroyed at FWRF. In 1976, wild does were trapped and held at Junction Butte until fawning. Fawns were transported to FWRF for hand-rearing for research purposes, and the adult does were released into the wild. from September 1985 until March 1991, no animals were held at Junction Butte. From March through September 1991, about 40 confiscated elk and their calves were held at Junction Butte. There is no indication from available surveillance data that CWD infected these elk, or has become established in free-ranging deer associated with Junction Butte. Examinations of 410 harvested mule deer from DAU D-9 were reviewed. There is a 98% probability that a CWD-positive animal would have been detected at a prevalence of > 0.01.

Little Hills (Piceance Basin, southwest of Meeker) Studies (Source data are lacking – the following information comes from secondary sources) – Between 40 and 50 captive deer were moved between FWRF or Colorado State University pens and Little Hills for food habits studies between 1975-1980 (4 deer were from Junction Butte). Typically fawns were obtained at Little Hills, taken to FWRF for hand rearing, and then transported to Little Hills for research. It is not clear whether CWD cases were diagnosed at the Little Hills facility. A report (80W101) on a CWD case from May 1980 includes, as part of the history narrative, a statement that the subject deer was "raised at Little Hills where there has not been a confirmed cases of chronic wasting disease". However, this deer had spent 1 winter at Junction Butte (Kremmling). It is unclear from the report whether this deer died at Little Hills, Kremmling, or Fort Collins; the "Location of origin" is listed as "Meeker (Little Hills) Colorado, Division of Wildlife", but whether that is the ultimate or proximate origin of this deer can’t be discerned. One tame deer escaped the Little Hills facility in 1979 and another escaped in 1980. Additionally, 2 were lost to predators in the Little Hills facility. The remaining animals were apparently returned to the FWRF. There is no indication from available surveillance data that CWD has become established in free-ranging deer that could have been associated with the Little Hills studies. Examinations of 434 harvested mule deer from DAU D-7 (White River), primarily GMU’s 22,23,11, and 211 had not yielded any CWD-positive animals prior to 2002. There is a 99% probability that a CWD-positive animal would have been detected at a prevalence of > 0.01. These are the recorded facts that state agencies are guilty of and also the true information that people have not been informed of regarding the beginnings of this symptom. Again Its also the information that the scaremongers and read what wildlifers don't want you to see. Folks you can take this for what it is (TRUTH FACT BASED RECORDED SCIENTIFIC DATA ) or you can listen to the liberal media hype put out by QDMRs, Wildlife Federation/ Camo Coalition, HSUS,WRC etc... You can either be a sheep for 100 years and follow their hype or be a leader believe in the truth. Something that Tricky Dick and his bunch are not admitting to.

Last edited: