308 ar

superman4283

Four Pointer
I have been interested in these lately. Does anyone have one or have any experience with one? What are the pros and come or any general suggestions would be nice. Thanks

Tunanut

Ten Pointer
They're awesome. I have an LR-243 and love hunting with it. It's a bit heavy, but much more accurate than my 7400 in 243. Not quite as accurate as my bolt 243's, but for 100 to 300 yrd shooting with many followup shots available, it's the ticket. A bit more expensive than a 556 on the range, but the 308 will give you a ton more knockdown power. I reload 243 and have a couple thousand cases and bullets, that's the only reason I went with the AR-10 in 243.

Last edited:

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I have the dpms lr308 and its great. Ive also fired the AR 10 and both were surprisingly accurate. If i had it to do over again id still go with Dpms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They're awesome. I have an LR-243 and love hunting with it. It's a bit heavy, but much more accurate than my 7400 in 243. Not quite as accurate as my bolt 243's, but for 100 to 300 yrd shooting with many followup shots available, it's the ticket. A bit more expensive than a 556 on the range, but the 308 will give you a ton more knockdown power. I reload 243 and have a couple thousand cases and bullets, that's the only reason I went with the AR-10 in 243.

I want one in a 243, what brand do you have?

Tunanut

Ten Pointer
I want one in a 243, what brand do you have?

It's a DPMS LR-243. The barrel is a 1;10 twist, so I shoot 85 to 90g projectiles. My favorite is the 85g Sierra Game King HPBT, shoots less than 1" groups @ 100. 100g bullets don't do nearly as well out of it. A lot of folks will trash a DPMS because it's an entry level AR, but I've had zero problems with it and it shoots great.

creekhobo

Ten Pointer
I have a Ruger SR-762 and have had no problems with it. I'm thinking about dropping another trigger in it.

superman4283

Four Pointer
DPMS seems to be pretty popular and they seem to be reasonably priced. I can't understand why ArmaLite is so high.

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
DPMS is heavy as **** and Armalite is light as ****

that's the difference in money.

If I wanted a 9lb rifle with .308 caliber power, I'd buy a Garand :D

genbud78

Ten Pointer
I have a DPMS AP4 in 308 and love it. It is pretty heavy but it's well made. It shoots much more accurately than I can shoot it.

VikingsFan8178

I have a Smith and Wesson M&P 10 chambered in .308.

I wanted one in .308 because I wanted to use it at the range AND be confident hunting with it. If I could only take one rifle with me on a deer hunt, I would take my bolt action. I can just shoot it more accurately.

Other than that, I do enjoy it and I hope to do some hog hunting with it as well.

VikingsFan8178

DPMS has a new line...I think it is called the G2 line or something. THey have a good selection of .308.

Smith and Wesson has the M&P 10, which it what I have. For a stock rifle, it is put together well.

Ruger has a nice one but the price is up around $1600 to $1800.

A lot of people also like the Remington R25.

Last edited by a moderator:

superman4283

Four Pointer
I was thinking of building my own but I'm not sure yet. I think it might cost to much versus just buying a complete rifle.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Isn't the R25 basically a DPMS?
I have a DPMS in 223, I would love to have one in 308, or even 243. That's right I'd take a 243.....lol

Last edited:

VikingsFan8178

Isn't the R25 basically a DPMS?
I have a DPMS in 223, I would love to have one in 308, or even 243. That's right I'd take a 243.....lol

Yes I do think DPMS makes those

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Really like the looks and feel of the S&W MP 10
have one that I planned to hunt with and mounted a Ziess on top.
just no time for going to the range to zero with hunting ammo.

SUGARTOWNTAXIDERMY

Ten Pointer
I cannot personally vouch for the quality but you should check out Palmetto State Armory as well. They are now building 308's, I have had several experiences with their 223 products and for the price they are very hard to beat. Recently they have had several daily deals that were outstanding in price.

ridenismo

Six Pointer
I built my 308 AR. I have 2500$ in it, but shes the ticket and shoots more consistantly than I can. I built it as well as I could, and plan on keeping it forever.