Mechanic advice needed!!!

nc rabbit hunter

Alright im almost to my hunting spot in Harnett.Truck has ran fine today until i get to the big hilly spots in the highway.I have to give it some torque to keep up to speed,well long story short truck started cutting out when getten on it to get up hills!! It runs fine at 50 on the flat stretches and when parked it revs fine.This is a 93 4 cyl yota.Any advice on problem? I hope i can get it back home tonite!!!! Once i get all these taters and corn out it maybe will help. Im wondering if a plug wire could have went bad?

hog&deerhunter

Ten Pointer
I agree rabbit hunter. Sounds like it could be a bad wire. I would replace them first. Change plugs too if they are about due. A bad cat converter would give you fits on flat ground too and you would not get up to speed.

Last edited:

nc rabbit hunter

Mo im over 300000.Very well could be.Its only on the hills.U have to get into on this old girl to get up these hills at Raven Rock!!

holton27596

i had a dodge dakota tht did the same thing. it was bad plugds in mine.

nc rabbit hunter

Thanks guys.Im sure hoping its something simple!!!Just hope I dont get spattered going home!! That stretch from Mamers to lillington is like a race track!! May take old 421.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I say wires, especially if its doing it under a load. I know exactly what you're talking about. You bare down on it and the truck acts like it "stumbles" before it picks up. Probably couldn't hurt things to throw an all out tune up.

nc rabbit hunter

I have new fuel filter now,plugs and wires.Ill install them tomorrow during the rain!!Thanks for all the advice.On a sidenote it done it one time coming home and had a bad sparkknocking sound!!

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
A number of things can cause the problem you describe. I've had a bad coolant temp sensor cause a stumbling issue on a 91 22re toyota pickup. Coolant temp is one of the inputs the ecm uses for fuel trim, and a bad one can cause stumbling/ driveability issues. Change the plugs and wires since you already have them and since theyre common causes of missing under a load. If the problem persists, dump the ecm codes and see what it shows. You can still have stored codes with no illuminated CEL. FYI, changing the fuel filter can be aggravating on those trucks if you've never done one, you have to be a bit of a contortionist lol. Good Luck!

Crappie man

Six Pointer
My 92 has been doing the same thing for the last couple years but may go 6-8 months and not do it .Strange that mine actually did it for the last couple days also and hadn't done it for months.Iv'e changed wires,plugs,fuel filter and did not help.I'm thinking it might be something like v8stang mentioned.