Legal or not

bfnc2003

Twelve Pointer
Can you legally sit in your truck on leased land and hunt deer? Someone told me as long as truck was not running and there were no occupants in the vehicle you are legal. Is this true?

PROTECTOR

Four Pointer
If you're in the truck...wouldn't you consider yourself an occupant?

Sent from somewhere in the woods of NC.

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
Only if there is no elevation rule in your county. We have to be at least 8'(platform height) up here in Martin.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Most counties that have the rule are for center fire rifle only.
shotgun and black powder are fine on the ground.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I asked that question to a gw once and was basically told it is a grey area. The law can go either way. Normally enforced when other laws are broken.

I.e. Tresspassing, spotlighting, someone acting like a butthole when being checked...

Stillhunter

Four Pointer
You can not shot from the window in the seated position. You can be charged with discharging a firearm from a vehicle, engine running or not. You can use the window, hood, tailgate, bed, standing on dog box, etc. as a prop so long as the vehicle is off and no occupants have access to starting and/or moving vehicle. This was discussed in lengthy detail with several WRC LEO at one of the district commission meetings. Some of the ones that brought it up were older individuals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I used to hunt from the bed of my truck. I'd pull it to the edge of a big bean field, put a lawn chair in the bed and wait.

sakoman

Its kind of like one of those deals like , do you ever run 65 in a 55. If most hunters saw a nice buck while driving across there lease and had a rifle handy , do you think they would stop , look, and say oh my what a nice buck ,lets just watch him and sing koom by ya. Not me , I bust em in a minute.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
I use to pull up in the crowd of tractors, trailers and other farm equipment. I'd sit there with the door open and rifle outside the truck. If I saw something I wanted to shoot I'd step out and use the door as a prop. The deer were use to the farm equipment being there and would walk all over the place around it.

sakoman

I use to pull up in the crowd of tractors, trailers and other farm equipment. I'd sit there with the door open and rifle outside the truck. If I saw something I wanted to shoot I'd step out and use the door as a prop. The deer were use to the farm equipment being there and would walk all over the place around it.

so true I shot my first deer in 1979 while I was sitting in a combine.

Arrow Slinger

Old Mossy Horns
motor vehicles—at no time may any wild animals or birds be
taken with the aid of a motor vehicle while the passenger
area is occupied or while the vehicle engine is running

Excursion

Ten Pointer
Illegal or not do you guys remember the Whellin Sportsman? It was a guy from NC that was bound to a wheel chair. He would film himself shooting from his Bronco. Was there some exclusion since he was handicapped? He shot a centerfire rifle....

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
motor vehicles—at no time may any wild animals or birds be
taken with the aid of a motor vehicle while the passenger
area is occupied or while the vehicle engine is running
So how does that work for a boat blind for duck hunting?
the open boat is a passenger area....

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
Yep. I always thought that nobody could be inside the passenger compartment of the vehicle nor could it be running.

Mr. Gadget .... (p 41)

- vessels under sail, under power, or with the engine running, or while still in the motion from such propulsion

As long as you're not under power or coasting from power, you're good.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
If the passenger area of a vehicle is occupied means anybody even if your in the vehicle by yourself. If someone is in the vehicle and you prop, sit or stand on any part of the vehicle you are breaking the law. If everybody is outside and the engine is off your OK.

Obviously boats do fall in another category, although the engine does have to be shut off. There are local laws that govern hunting from boats in some areas.