Now that was a first

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
I was in a ladder stand this morning that sits against a pine tree along a very thick wooded fence line. In front of me is a grass field with scattered pines and cedars and behind me is a pasture with a thick spot of pines and cedars at my back. When we put that stand up we cut a small opening, just big enough to walk through, and placed a couple of cinder blocks down so we could cross the fence right at the stand. Step over the fence, walk to the ladder, and climb up.

About 8:00 I heard something behind me and as I turned to look over my left shoulder I see a young doe running full speed and headed straight for our fence crossing. Right behind her is a four pointer chasing her. She jumped the fence, which now puts her almost directly under me, and right behind her here he comes only he is bigger and when he lands he falls into the ladder!!!!!! He no more than touched down when his right front shoulder collided with the ladder and shook the stand to the point that I thought it was going to fall. Both of them stopped for a minute and looked back at the stand like they were saying, "Who in @#$# put that #$%^& thing there"? :D

I have to admit it scared me for a second but then the humor of the situation took over and I realized that I am one of few people to have a deer run in to the stand they are sitting in.

Wouldn't that be sort of difficult to explain to the folks at the emergency room? "Well you see Doc it was like this, I was sitting in my stand when this deer came along and knocked my stand down so I went down with it and .................:D

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
that is funny as can be! When i was about 8 I had one walkin under a metal ladder stand inbetween the ladder and tree!

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
That's cool!

Best I got is I carried an apple to the stand for a snack one day...after I finished the apple I dropped the core, and about 30 mins later had a young doe walk to my ladder, between ladder and tree, and get the core and walked off chewing on it.

Another time I had one of those little 2ft tall turkey blinds, had some fighting foxes in the thicket near me...all of a sudden here came one wide open...hit my blind, stopped and looked me dead in the eye and then jumped cross my legs and took off out of site. ..not sure who was freaked out more, me or the fox. Lol

Last edited:

robertc

Eight Pointer
Had a small buck scratch his back on the bracing of my tower stand one time. I just set 10 feet up rocking back and forth until he finished. I keep asking myself, why couldn't he be a shooter.

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
It would have been really cool to get on video. I watched a spike last Saturday try to decide if he was going to go through the forked top of a tree we had cut down for firewood. He would walk up to it put his head down and back up, finally he got enough courage to squeeze through it. LOL.

buffleheadnc2

We had one run through the yard one morning hit the dog pen killed grave yard dead . Funny thing is it landed directly under the skinning rack just loweref it down and skinnef her out.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Not a deer story, but was turkey hunting few seasons ago, and reached in my vest pocket to get a scratch call, and lay my gun across lap, fiddle with the call a few seconds, my focus on the call not on what is going on. Hear some running noise out in front of me, raise my head up and here comes 2 huge gobblers maby 20-25 yards out...straight in front of me running as hard as they could...see which one could get there first to my calling. One of them jumped over a limb directly in front of my make-shift blind..landed on my left leg--flew up over my head...I throw gun up shooting at him...missed..came down and fired at second tom that had stopped 10-15 yds out...missed him twice. Still can't believe that happened, but a true story. Moral of story...never take your eyes of your surroundings when working a turkey call..you may get run over.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
I think things like this are what makes us all so "interested" in being out in the outdoors. You never know what to expect/see next. Cool incident ZG.

GregC

Six Pointer
I read about a lady bowhunter who was using a climber to go up a tree - a doe comes racing by and gets caught in her bow which is tied to her pull up rope and is frantically pulling against her as she is climbing. Her buddy hunter had to run over and get the bow off the deer. But never had such a close encounter like ZG...bet that was funny

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
That is very funny. I love the experiences we get to enjoy by being in the woods with wild critters.

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
I have a good one i will share with you. I was sitting up against a fence post while turkey hunting and had a hen come walk right to me. Im talking 2-3 feet from me. She sat there and looked at me for about 30 seconds then started pecking small seeds off my hunting boots. It was everything I could do not to bust out laughing. I had my shotgun across my lap kinda pointed down past my feet. At one point her head was less than 2" from the muzzle. I ended up attempting to grab her leg which was a sight to see. She stayed around but not nearly as close.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Not a deer story, but was turkey hunting few seasons ago, and reached in my vest pocket to get a scratch call, and lay my gun across lap, fiddle with the call a few seconds, my focus on the call not on what is going on. Hear some running noise out in front of me, raise my head up and here comes 2 huge gobblers maby 20-25 yards out...straight in front of me running as hard as they could...see which one could get there first to my calling. One of them jumped over a limb directly in front of my make-shift blind..landed on my left leg--flew up over my head...I throw gun up shooting at him...missed..came down and fired at second tom that had stopped 10-15 yds out...missed him twice. Still can't believe that happened, but a true story. Moral of story...never take your eyes of your surroundings when working a turkey call..you may get run over.

We need you around this spring Winnie, that is a great tale right there.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
We had one run through the yard one morning hit the dog pen killed grave yard dead . Funny thing is it landed directly under the skinning rack just loweref it down and skinnef her out.

you win this thread buffleheadnc 2-

i wlll be telling that story a lot this weekend. :)

thanks for sharing.

genbud78

Ten Pointer
I was in a pop-up ground blind once that I'd pushed back into a cedar to camo. Heard running and saw a doe running full on through the woods right at me. When she got about 10 yards away I threw my arms up b/c I thought she was going to run through me. She turned and fell in the wet leaves trying to avoid the flailing guy in the blind. She was on her feet pretty quick and ran out to about 30 yards to stop and look back. I was able to gather myself enough to pop her with my '06 and take her home. Never know what you may see in the woods.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
We need you around this spring Winnie, that is a great tale right there.
oldest school, you will like this one...many years ago got up early one morning to go bow hunting..real cold. Had on all the clothes could get on. Drove about 22 miles to my site..right by my self. No one else around thanks goodness. Soon as I got out of truck, gather all my gear, I had an urgent call ...had to hit the bushes if you know what I mean. Well, got some toilet paper in glove compartment, step off to side down hill..flashlight in hand. Actually, believe it was one of those lights you clip on your cap. Anyway, drop my coveralls, suspenders, pants....take a big ole mussie crap right there. Remember, it well..every detail. It was so cold, can see the steam rising up from that crap as I wiped my :donk:donk:donk..cleaned up..real good. Deer wont smell me....propably used half roll paper. Well, get back to truck, grab bow, bag of tree steps, ready to go now..feel much better. Going to be beautiful day...cant wait. Donw thru woods I go..still real early..still dark. Well, got to my tree, begin screwing in tree steps....this was 30 yrs ago...lock on stand days....never heard of climber or couldn't afford one. Well, up tree I go' sit down, pull up my bow, still completely still dark. Settled in, hung bow on hanger...gloves on, head covered. Oh yea, ready now...be light few more minutes. Still cant see a thing..man, was early this morning. Well, got all settled in....might see something today..just feel like it is going to be my day....oh was I wrong. Get this, all of a sudden, I swear I smell something....dang, that is crap. Pull out light, try to see bottom of my boots...must be on my boots. Get real still, still smell it...only little stronger. Do a more intensive search this time...stand up looking all around...cant see nothing. Man, really getting strong now. Where in the -----is it! Might as well get down...got to fin d it. Send bow to ground...down tree I go..got on ground and begin pulling off those coveralls...drop them to ground. Man, almost knocks me down...where is it! Drop my pants...suspenders..everything....There it is!...them suspenders...back of my shirt...everything...covered up real good....whole pile dropped right in the middle of those suspenders! Man, was I mad....you wont believe how I felt...never forget it. Well,gathered every thing..to truck I go..long hike out. Breakin light now. Day over...going home. Well, got home real early and wife asks you must have gotten one...as getting out of truck."Naw, just quit early today...nothing going on. Got things to do" Years later, got up enough courage to tell that story one Christmas with the whole family around...believe it was first time had told this one...Well, my brother almost died...he still wants me to tell or he will tell..that story when we get in a crowd Had few laughs with that one...true story. Like I said, sometimes you just feel like today is your day...going to enjoy this one right by myself. Enjoy...just don't tell no one