Looking for sausage and ground beef grinds

shotgunfan

I shot a young but meaty buck late last week and am ready to finish processing the rest of the meat. I've been aging the meat per a good friends process that I trust but I'm looking at what to do with one ham and both shoulders. I want to make some diy sausage and ground beef. Any spice blends or meat blends y'all recommend. I've heard so many I'm not sure what to do. I know how to cook the meat it's the grinding part I'm new to. Any advice would be appreciated.

- Shotgunfan

Stick&String

Old Mossy Horns
Use the smallest grinding plate before you stuff the meat. It will make for a more "even" meat (not lumpy).

Collagen casings are easier to use then natural.

No advice on spice.

Last edited:

shotgunfan

Thanks for the grinding advice. Anyone got good spice recipes for sausage. My biggest question about ground beef is whether to add any actual beef or other meat for fat content. He was fairly fatty for a deer and definitely corn feed but I've had opposite issues. No fat added and it falls apart, too much fat and it feels like I ate a tube of chap stick after every possible cook.

- Shotgunfan

strut buster

Eight Pointer
I smoke 2-3 briskets throughout the year, and am having good results using brisket fat and trimmings for burger. I grind twice. Can't recall the plate sizes, but my biggest plate first, and medium plate second. Beef fat probably averages 8-10% of the mix.

shotgunfan

Wow that's a lot leaner than I've heard so far. Does the meat stay together well on tbe grill with that percentage?

- Shotgunfan

strut buster

Eight Pointer
Wow that's a lot leaner than I've heard so far. Does the meat stay together well on tbe grill with that percentage?

- Shotgunfan

It stays together just fine one the grill at that percentage, but if my primary intent was ground deer for grilling burgers, I'd definitely go up to 15-20% fat. I'll actually add a little olive oil and/or an egg for grilling burgers. We easily average using 1.5 lbs of ground per week throughout the year, but grilled burgers are not even close to the primary use and the lower fat percentage works best for most everything else.

Last edited:

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Go by any grocery store that cuts their own meat and talk to the butcher. He can hook you up with fat for mixing. Use pork fat for sausage and beef fat for burgers. Like already said, the smaller plate on the grinder makes a finer cut, and run it through at least twice. Also make sure you mix the fat/meat well before the second grind.

chrisj0616

I use this for seasoning but I use 15 pounds of meat instead of 25
f60e9d7e0d201283c46d2a3e0fc5ac65.jpg

Cut the meat to fit in grinder then mix in seasoning BEFORE grinding
Let sit in fridge overnight
Then grind

BERTIE RENEGADE

For deer burger I first grind all deer by itself and evenly flatten it out on a large cookie sheet or counter top about an inch thick. Then layer the top with 70/30 hamburger about 1/4" thick (as putting icing on a sheet cake) then slice with a pizza cutter and grind (cake) together. I seem to get a more uniform mixture this way.

shotgunfan

Thanks for all of the advice. Learned a lot from this post. I'll definitely take everything into consideration.

- Shotgunfan

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Look at Leggs Seasonings..available in alot of grocery stores and on-line...they have several blends and are easy to mix. I use a 50-50 blend of boston butts/venison for cased sausage, there's enough pork and pork fat that it cooks up really well.