Backyard Chronicles

wademaster

looks like a "true bug" like a squash bug..so he's already started out as a hated bug in my book...he's likely to get his head pulled off at my house, like a squash bug. I can't see his proboscis, but if it is elongated he may be kin to a assassin bug and those things can hurt ya !

It is a true bug. It isn't known to bite though, I don't think. I also think the one pictured is an adult. They feed on conifer seeds/needles, and other similar items. Originated in California from what I understand.

wademaster

I was wrong on the previous ID it seems. "Wheel Bug" is the correct name I think.

wademaster

Ran across this guy this morning as well.

8d1d8c2e48d48cc4f333a7314531385e.jpg

wademaster

Couple more from the last couple days:

68550f876e4a375de747e272bc88e2c6.jpg

bc710e1263e9186e6d2504fc3cf262e3.jpg

Not sure about the first one. Possibly a White Oak Borer, but not for sure.

wademaster

Two mornings during the last week, I've looked into the back yard and found this hawk jumping around feeding on something in the grass. The only thing I can think of may be nightcrawlers coming out of the soil after all the heavy rains. Pretty neat.

wademaster

While feeding the baby yesterday, I look out the back windows and see a bluebird. Cool. A minute later, I look again, and there's a pair. Awesome.

d93819bdb4d0dc953ef2c92a66f18618.jpg

cb70a9f097f677408683d5d502ff5c4f.jpg

wademaster

My resident bluebird stopped by again today. Only one out back then I seen a pair later on standing together on my insulated well cover in the front yard. I fished a small wooded pond a while today that I usually hike to and struck out. Upon my return I cleaned the wasp nests and spider webs out of my bird houses. They are ready for occupancy!

wademaster

Was messing around the property and woods with the little one this evening. Came across a tree with spots on it's leaves. Disease?

Also, some blackberries. Plenty of 'em.

152d32c8d8c70bb7b6eb002efa29d7a3.jpg

de05cce373041ec98bc9c0053f76112d.jpg

621f924de955c16253b8622ff0a6e78e.jpg

25f686ff10f824bba3bf471b20abc509.jpg

wademaster

Yes, I've since looked up the disease. I'm hoping to have enough berries for a pie or sonker this year.

wademaster

Saturday evening brought me to the hardware store for various reasons. I ended up grabbing a few hanging basket flowers. Petunias, Trailing Petunias, and Trailing Vinca. I've added a few rockers to the front porch as well.

wademaster

Pulled in the driveway yesterday only to find a handful of grown turkeys and 6-8 poults. They were moving around the edge of the front yard. Never alarmed. They just went about their normal business. My truck was maybe 15' from them. Neat.

wademaster

Three mornings in a row I've had 9 turkeys running around the field/front yard chasing grasshoppers and other bugs in the freshly mown tall grass.

Twice yesterday morning I look out into the front yard/field and seen 9 turkeys doing their thing. A newly mown field has their attention. Bugs galore. I'm assuming this is the same crowd I had out there a few weeks ago. Those small ones grow fast!