MuddyGirl27 is heading out again

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
We have a stand for 15 Dec with T and M over in Four Oaks. With luck and less rain we might get back into the area where I missed the huge 9 at 430ish yards. We got confirmation of what we expected. A clean miss for me. He's back on the gun cameras today and looking fine workin his regular path through the area!

We'll be proud to see any deer for her first real season out as the primary hunter. But, sure would be neat to show her a monster. We'll see what the man upstairs has in store.

bubba2009

Twelve Pointer
We have a stand for 15 Dec with T and M over in Four Oaks. With luck and less rain we might get back into the area where I missed the huge 9 at 430ish yards. We got confirmation of what we expected. A clean miss for me. He's back on the gun cameras today and looking fine workin his regular path through the area!

We'll be proud to see any deer for her first real season out as the primary hunter. But, sure would be neat to show her a monster. We'll see what the man upstairs has in store.

rich i meet him at the dixie deer classic waiting on line to get in. have his card he does hog hunts too. good luck to muddy girl

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
He's a fine person. Wife and kids too. Good business, good guides and runs a tight ship. Been hunting deer with em since they opened. We are always satisfied. They take some big hogs out of there in the swamps and slews along the neuse. I think he does fishing too. Its a good place to get some hunting in year round.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
School delay. Can't hunt Monday and weather moving in for Tue/Wed. We are watching and will move the date out a bit. Going to try to get a day picked out before the end of next week with darker moon and no rain in the forecast. We are all a bit tired of hunting in the rain! Stand by!

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Just off the phone with my friend Lasttombstone. He called to check up on us ans wish MuddyGirl27 luck.

We had delays of school, dog surgery, broken garage door and weather.

But we are here at T and M hunting and setteled in with soda candy chips and cartoons. All is well.

Weather looks great for tomorrows hunt way deep in the swamp along the Neuse river.

Reports are the deer and hogs are moving a lot and we have a Green Light fot any deer and a boar hog.

Boar lead to a timorous discussion of how to identify them. Timorous for meand I started with Momma hog may have lil piggies with her. We won't shoot momma hog. A stone stare was the initial reply followed by " Well, what if they are with Poppa pig, how do I know?"

She's 14. Gonna find out about it soon enough so I jumped in with both feet.

"Come look at this photo. See, those are deer nuts. Poppa hog has em too. Look for em and shoot the hog with the nuts"

"What if I can't see em?"

" You'll see em baby. Hogs is low and they'll be draggin on the ground"

"Oh". She says. "Maybe that's why they are so mean."

Well.......nuff said I think. And, I got a lot to learn bout Huntresses.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
By ATV we are about 30 minutes deep in the swamp. The sun is over the trees and we are finally starting to get warm. Out stand is a converted portajohn. I was skeptical at first but its cozy for 2 and works just great. But it is a first. Never hunted from the throne before! There is a tripod too but we hunt togethe eatin skittles for breakfast with coffee and hot coco. Come on deer, itsd DeetThirty!

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
A bad headach. But some warm breakfast and bundled up for a nap with the MRE heater under the coat. Pappy on watch and we'll ssee what the noontime brings.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Settled in for the evening push to success. Nothing yet but if anyone has, she's earned it! Hoping for a shot as the day winds down.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
we are home safe. a quiet day in the woods. we didnt see any but had a perfect time none the less.....and.....we're voin back. just me and muddygirl27. her first ever 530 to 530 sit and she still says huntin is fun!

my girl. photos tomorrow and another chance before the season is out.

for now, we's for nightynight!

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
We arrived safe and sound on Wednesday evening at the Cabin. Ol Boris is still there in the living room greeting everybody and sparking conversation in your ear as ya sit on the couch and relax with family and pals.

R5XiHCo.jpg

And if you prefer, there is always a place to flop down and chat with pals far away, specially if its that Face thing on the innerweb that ol Pappies don't really "get".

pg7QPS9.jpg

And then come morning ya find yerself in a cozy outhouse 30 minutes by ATV deep in the swamp looking out for deer. "I never hunted from a toilet before. I didn't think ya could!" "Me neither Baby, but it sure is cozy and a great view for hunting!" "Yep, it's actually kinda cool!"

54DLX0C.jpg

We try out the tripod too. "Can't wait till I'm 16 and can use one of these stands, I like it a lot! I can see way down in the woods, the brush ain't in the way!"

hS66l9R.jpg

"MuddyGirl, you want a midmorning snack?" "Sure, what is it?" "Squeeze cheese casadia, the cheese is a lil cold but it'll taste good, see here?" "EEEEW, Pap, you know what that looks like? And we are in an Outhouse. Stop tryin to gross me out I'll barf on you!" So, she has the vegetable lasagna instead!

Tv8s9Jq.jpg

Bundled up and ready for the ride out and home. Cold morning and evening and an overall quiet day. We spent it surveying the woods from ground and tripod. Stretch breaks every few hours and a short nap before the hard evening push but it went well. This lil Huntress gets the "IronButt" award. Dark to dark today and with no movement of deer or hogs, a very hard sit. We had fun and when asked, "Yep, hunting is fun, even on the days like today. I hope we are still going to do the last hunt here after Christmas." Yep, we are and she smiles as we start the ATV out thru the mud.

K8tOstM.jpg

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
She proved herself for sure...it would be hard for me to sit all day and I've hunted almost 40 years,lol

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Boy Howdy, I agree....I was the one most in need of them stretch breaks, heck, even the guide, hunting also and about 1000 yards away, went out for 3 hours over lunch!!! We'll head back for the last scheduled trip between Christmas and New Years. Just watchin the weather to firm up the dates.

Last edited:

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Here we go! Last gun trip for the year. Got one 7x7 box blind standing by and not flooded! Happy Joy! Off to Four Oaks tonight and planning on a Dark to Dark with MuddyGirl27 Tomorrow......then we wait for the commencement of urban archery!

Cross yer fingers, we wanna see one or three!

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
No Sir, Deer, Hog, Coyote, it's getting fired upon. Most of the box stands are flooded in. We have access to a 7x7 box on a bean field with oaks and corn. I took an 8 and a button out of there 2 years back. A good stand and we should be just under 150 yards to the feed. She can bang a 12" steel from rested with the 243 and I was popping 6" and 12" steel at 200m with the 243 and the 3006. So, Paps on spotter, coach and backup duty again. We's crossin all our fingers and toes. Need just a few more good photos, hopefully with a deer, to finish out and order up the 2015 calendars on Snapfish.com.

But, stuff is packed....including several more MREs that'll likely get "inventoried" tonight for candy and cookies! Venison chili (Cincinnati's way - with spaghetti pasta) for dinner tonight before we go. A quick stop for Dr Pepper and Milk and we'll be tuckin in by 9 pm for the early wake up.

I remain excited and hopeful!

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks all. In camp and eatin Cincinatti Deer Chili and packin up. Got a 430 wakeup and lookin like a good day to hide in a box.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks all. We are home safe. Workin the photos now. Stand by. We are both still giddy with excitment!

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Check the kills thread

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Moving it here. So giddy I forgot to change from kills thread to this thread! Backed it out there and reposting here now.

HA! Fantastaic Season, I am totally flustered! Ain't been this excited even when I got my first buck!