.45 cal CVA Kentucky rifle

southwake

Four Pointer
I've got a .45 cal CVA Kentucky rifle that was given to me years ago. I've never shot it, or any other muzzle loader. I looked up some videos on how to load and shoot it. It seems fairly easy, but I just wanted to ask a few questions. Forgive me if I butcher some terminology and/or words. I'm learning.

one question is there is no flash pan, so I am assuming it uses percussion caps for ignition?

and it's got basic rifled sights that don't look like there is any adjustment. The barrel is rifled too. What can I expect out of this gun for accuracy/distance?

I have just the rifle--what type of powder and ammo (ball?) should I get?

and lastly, is there anywhere around the triangle region to shoot this gun.

thanks

Last edited:

GrizzlyBear

Old Mossy Horns
Probably a percussion. Some online pics will help. Clean it good and make sure you can blow air through it. (Not loaded). Before you load it use alcohol on a patch to get the oil out of the barrel which will foul the powder. Black powder (not the substitute) works best by far but it's hard to find. Go buy some different thickness patches and load with 440 diameter balls and let it fly! You'll have to try several loads of powder and different thicknesses of patches to see what shoots best. I'd start with 40 grains of fffg black powder. Good luck

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
I had a buddy that had one of these in college, he never hunted with it but I did...Killed 4 deer with it...

I used a .440 ball, .015 patch and 70grs of FFF Goex or Pyrodex RS...

D. Buck Stopshere

Six Pointer
If you want help with it, face-to-face, bring it to the Lafayette Long Rifles shoot, January 24-25, 2015. Its a two-day shoot. There will be folks there to walk you through the loading, cleaning, trouble-shooting, and acquiring the accessories for target shooting and hunting.

You will be miles ahead if you take advantage of the event. Many of the members are from the Fuquay-Varina/Sanford area.

Go to:http://ncflintlock.wix.com/llr / The site seems to be down temporarily. I can't get it to open.

Our range is located on Flintlock Lane off River Road, a little north of Raven Rock State Park for members and their guests.

If you're coming to the Dixie Gun & Knife Classic Gun Show in Raleigh in January, send me a "PM", and I'll direct you to my table and we'll "talk black powder".

GOEX black powder is available at Paradise Pawn Shop in Benson by the pound.

Boulevard Pawn Shop, 5301 Bragg Blvd in Fayetteville has a great assortment of round balls, caps, shooting patches, black powder substitutes like Black Horn & Hodgdon's Triple Seven. They also have required accessories like ball starters, adjustable powder measures, nipple wrenches, and cleaning equipment.

Hope this helps,

Last edited:

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
I have one just like it which I've killed deer with years ago, but instead of using round balls I used .357 cal. hardened lead semi-wadcutters in 158 gr weight and for a sabot I used a .410 ga shot cup which had been trimmed back to the proper length. Haven't done much blackpowder in recent years so don't know if there are purpose made sabots for the .45 or not but there should be.