New plots

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
We have a big clear cut that was just finished this past summer.
We are planning to put in some fire lane/food plots in several areas. What would be a good width to make them?

I know the landowner will not want to lose room for trees but will not want the lanes so narrow that in 10years were having to limb up trees either.

Also, any good ideas on what to plant? And yes I do know that for the first few years a cutover is in itself a great food plot.....:)

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
Winter wheat will suffice if you can still get it in the ground...then over seed this Feb with clover and when the wheat dies the clover will be growing around the dead wheat...I plant clover around all my grape vines each fall and apply ashes to keep my vines healthy....nothing will fertilize your soil like clover.
Some people hate clover in their yard but I love it because it gives me plenty to feed my chickens and turkey...I have some real egg layers this year! I have 8 hens and have got 7-8 eggs every day of September and October and still am getting 5-6 per day. I wish they would quit laying because the shells are getting thinner so I may have to start feeding oyster shell...The clover will pay big dividends if you have wild turkeys around!

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
We haven't cut the fire lanes yet LB, what would be a good width to make the lanes?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Careful about planting anything in a firelane that gets thick,tall,dies and dries out. Those are recipes for a disaster if the firelane is to be used to help stop or slow a fire.
When we leased from a timber company, they wouldn't let us plant anything but clover or vetch in firelanes, either is a good choice but NC deer seem to prefer clover.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It depends on the equipment you will be using, a typical firelane that's going to be used to access with a vehicle needs to be wider than your typical firelane but I've seen timber companies using the sub soiler turning plows have firelanes that are only about 8 foot wide but at least 2 feet high with turned soil on both sides of the lane and a deeper trench in the middle that held water in the wet times.