Guitar Players

double

Twelve Pointer
How many of you guys play. My dad can play anything you put in his hands. I was not blessed with that talent however I would love to be able to play. I have tried on my own off and on for years with little success. How did those of you that play learn and can you give me any pointers or tips. I love country music so that is what I want to focus on. Also any easy songs you can think of I can play g c d and em. I have trouble strumming it seems.

mekanizm

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Strumming was the hardest for me it seemed. Use a soft pick and play those chords in any order you like enough times to get past the finger hurting stage. Can't help you on country but Sweet Home Alabama is a D, C and G song. Pick a song and YouTube up a lesson/tutorial on it. The trick is to be able to play with someone better than you are and willing to put up with you. Maybe find a song you and your Dad can play together. The thing to keep in mind is guitar playing is a learned skill so anybody is capable of learning it. Learn the twelve note chromatic scale alphabet. A string that is vibrating twice as fast or half as fast is an octave. Good luck.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I started years ago and learned a few chords and then learned a bunch of songs by ear. My son took some lessons and surpassed my abilities a few after taking the lessons so if you could find a good teacher I would go that route. I now enjoy you tube as I could find most any song and a tutorial on it. I also believe that have to be able to hear what is in tune (ear for music). I can hear tone but I cannot replicate with my voice. I can hear it on a guitar as well. This might be able to be learned IDK.

Cainsable

I play when I have time.if you call it that,I just started back about 4 mo ago after not playing for 20 + years

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Youtube is your friend.

I have a couple Martins.....and I've been playing for 40yrs.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
I think the biggest thing is spending lots of time with the guitar in practice. You will get out of anything what you put into it. A good guitar teacher would help tremendously but there are plenty of lessons on YouTube that will help you .. I basically taught myself how to play, not saying that I am good at all but I can kinda hold my own while playing with others. I have friends who are much better than I am of course...There are hundreds maybe thousands of songs you can play in G, C, D, and Em..Learn the basic chords, C, D, E, F, G,A' B, Am, Em, Bm along with the seventh chords, there are many books out there you can purchase and they are cheap to help you. Start slow with changing chords like going from G to C then to D and slowly build speed, that will come with practice. You need to learn lots of chords so you can play a song in just about any key, not just G, C, and D...

Learn the guitar fretboard and the Am pentatonic scale . There is so much to learn about the guitar if you are serious about playing and learning to play well but it takes time and effort. Most people have good intentions about playing musical instruments but give up after becoming frustrated and confused because they can't become a country or rock star in a month or so after buying an instrument. I have both acoustic and electric guitars but the best guitar you can afford will IMO go a long way in helping you learn to play. Keep at it, you can do it, if I can learn to play a guitar anyone can, good luck...

Last edited:

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
And I agree with 23mako, Marty rocks and he has his stuff together with teaching guitar...There is a German guy on youtube the site is called Greg's Guitar's...The man makes a living playing music and selling guitars. He is not a teacher but watch his style of playing , he is a great guitarist...

double

Twelve Pointer
I have learned that good guitars play better than really cheap ones. My dad has a gibson J50 from the early 60's that is a dream to play while my first one was a $10 auction deal that has strings higher off the neck than a dobro. I just got a sigma by martin from the early 70's in yesterday and even though it is a lower end guitar it still plays and feels great. thanks for the input I try to play a little everyday with the little one on the way and work being crazy it is not easy but it doe slow my mind down.

strut buster

Eight Pointer
I pick up a guitar at least once a day. Sounds counter intuitive, but try a stiffer pick ever now and again. It's not as forgiving so will improve the your precision strumming. Also, look at how you are holding it. I hold the pick like would be taught to flatpick bluegrass, but hold it that way for everything (like others have said, check you tube). Playing along with songs you like will help your rhythm and timing. Add an E, A, Am, F, B and Bm to the chords you listed and you can play a ton of stuff, especially with a capo.

Last edited:

fishinRod

Ten Pointer
iv messed around with them since i was a kid...not very good but can play some stuff....I have known some very good guitar players, my former boss being one who was a profesional musician in his younger days....they will all tell you that if you want to be good, learn to play all scales in all the keys

Crash

I play a little. Got a '86 Strat, a mexi Telle and several acoustics. My son has already passed me in the talent department.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
My dad always had guitars around when i was younger but he only played them occasionally, and i would doodle on them once in while. Then one day i decided i would get serious about it. This was around 2000 when the internet was no where near what it is now, but i did find a site that showed basic chords and had a few songs to strum along with. But my ultimate goal was to play sweet home alabama, and the first time i hit the intro riff spot on i was hooked. Played everyday through high school, college, and now into my early 30s almost everyday. Like anything else it just comes with practice and some people have "it" and some dont. I progressed the most when i started playing in bands and with musicians way better than i was. Not just guitarist, but drummers, bassist, keyboardist etc. The more you play with people like that the more you pick up the rhythms and staying in time, along with scales, theory, and just getting the feel of the music. Be forewarned though, its as addictive and costly as any hunting. I cant tell the 1000s of $ ive spent buying and selling guitars, amps, pedals, and whatever. But no matter what gear ive passed on or bought, ive always kept my Les Paul standard my parents bought me when i was about 18. Im always looking to jam with somebody, maybe if we get enough musicians together we can start a NCH&F band.:cool:

double

Twelve Pointer
Im lucky in my work (managing a pawn shop) cool guitars come in all the time and I mess around with them until we sell them. I guess i need to find someone to play with.

Redneck Rocker Dude

Old Mossy Horns
When I was in middle school and early high school I played. I played a lot of rock and metal. Haven't picked up a guitar in years. Sold my main one but still have my back up and my acoustic. One of the guys that played the drums in our jam sessions goes on tour next week with a couple big name metal bands. Any metal fans check need to check out The Death In Me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
When I was in middle school and early high school I played. I played a lot of rock and metal. Haven't picked up a guitar in years. Sold my main one but still have my back up and my acoustic. One of the guys that played the drums in our jam sessions goes on tour next week with a couple big name metal bands. Any metal fans check need to check out The Death In Me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about a little G n f'n R?

Redeye

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I played many years ago in middle school. Taught my oldest a few strum patterns and all of the chords I knew. He loved it so much that he was playing all the time. Played most Sundays at church when he got older. Nows he's picked up the 4 and 5 string bass and plays in a band that had played gigs from Fredericksburg VA to Mebane, Greenville, Wilmington and myrtle beach. Even had an album out.

manybeards

Ten Pointer
I can play about 6 songs.... Don't work at it like my Grand daughter. We bought her a Taylor for her birthday about 18 months ago, along with 6 months of lessons from the best teacher in Wilmington(Galen Hunsucker)..... She now plays an amazing 150 songs and is learning to pick a little. Kids are a sponge,and it certainly helps if they are really motivated.....

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Double, here is another way to learn guitar. On you tube there are hundreds of backing tracks for guitar. I often just play along with them and improvise with the lead I want to play while playing along to the backing track. Its fun and you can play or listen to rock, country or whatever your desire in music is...

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
I grew up in WV. My dad was a mandolin player. He played in several bluegrass bands. It was an every weekend event to have 8 or 10 people at the house playing. I learned to play the guitar, banjo, mandolin and bass and as I grew up, I moved more into southern rock and country. I used to be in a band until my wife told me to make a choice, my family or music and I chose wisely. I still play a little, but not nearly like I used to. Some of the guys above have given great advice that I really cannot add to. Good luck and have fun with it!!

Crash

Here you go guys.

[video=youtube;j2kazQ86SKw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=j2kazQ86SKw[/video]

[video=youtube;w1s64hBGoQ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=w1s64hBGoQ8[/video]

Last edited:

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
Here you go guys.

[video=youtube;j2kazQ86SKw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=j2kazQ86SKw[/video]

[video=youtube;w1s64hBGoQ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=w1s64hBGoQ8[/video]

Crash, Is that you? Either way I give 2 thumbs up. I can't sing for the life of me. I can barely formulate words. My son play sthe guitar better than me now and my daughter sings like an angel.

Edited to add-IDK how it posted 2 vids form the quote but now I'll have to watch the other. lol

Last edited:

Crash

Yea, thats me. My son started playing when he was 6. He was 11 when this was filmed and he fell in love with this Gibson Goddess.

(excuse the lyrics)

[video=youtube;Nyhe_lew8pE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nyhe_lew8pE&list=UUbctIno8a7v7JWFsWnBS_eQ& feature=player_detailpage[/video]

[video=youtube;eP_5gB467hU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUbctIno8a7v7JWFsWnBS_eQ&v=eP_5gB467hU& feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Last edited:

ant00r1

Six Pointer
I can play about 6 songs.... Don't work at it like my Grand daughter. We bought her a Taylor for her birthday about 18 months ago, along with 6 months of lessons from the best teacher in Wilmington(Galen Hunsucker)..... She now plays an amazing 150 songs and is learning to pick a little. Kids are a sponge,and it certainly helps if they are really motivated.....

I took a few lessons from a Galen Hunsucker that taught at Evans Music in Asheboro over 20 years ago as a teen. Wonder if it's the same guy? If so, he was a good teacher then & apparently still so.