Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Coyotes Are there really that many of them?

Twelve Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by timekiller13 View Post
    I am with you. I don't think they kill near as many deer as people think they do. Do they get some? Absolutely! But they are not decimating the deer population. As for them being so elusive, I don't buy that crap. Bobcats are way more secretive creatures and I see them several times a year. I have yet to see any evidence of a deer killed coyote in any of my leases. I have found a few dead that coyotes had chewed in. But the deer had clearly died from natural causes or a hunters poorly placed shot and the yotes just cleaned up the mess.
    Typically in any given season, there is a variety of roadkill and dead hole carcasses available for them to eat. They are not difficult to kill. Without getting back into another discussion on hogs and coyote problems, if they were the big hairy deal some make them out to be, there would be plenty of predator hunting opportunities in this state. Just try to get an invite to thin a pack down or to go work on someone's hog problems. Just saying!
    Last edited by Songdoghunter; 12-18-2014 at 08:11 AM.

There are large numbers of coyotes in urban areas that are never seen. I think guaging numbers by sitings or trail cam pics isn't a good way to estimate numbers.
    "Standards are meant to be lowered" - Levi, May 29, 2012

Six Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by timekiller13 View Post
    I am with you. I don't think they kill near as many deer as people think they do. Do they get some? Absolutely! But they are not decimating the deer population. As for them being so elusive, I don't buy that crap. Bobcats are way more secretive creatures and I see them several times a year. I have yet to see any evidence of a deer killed coyote in any of my leases. I have found a few dead that coyotes had chewed in. But the deer had clearly died from natural causes or a hunters poorly placed shot and the yotes just cleaned up the mess.
    Perhaps you don't buy the elusiveness "crap" as you call it, but it's kind a pretty well-documented characteristic of coyotes. Why do you think they call him "Wile-E-Coyote" (Wiley Coyote)?
    On bobcats, I'm 48 yrs old. and have hunted eastern N.C. all of my life and have only seen TWO bobcats in the wild, ever. I've jumped them while rabbit hunting, and caught some in traps, but just seeing one out-and-about...only twice.
    I do not think coyotes are "decimating" the deer population, however.
    Tom Anderson
    NRA Rifle Instructor
    4-H Rifle Instructor
    High Power Service Rifle XTC Master

I had never even thought about a yote up here in northern Granville until a couple of years ago. Then I started hearing them behind the house in a cutover. Now, I hear them nearly every night I"m outside and anytime the aforementioned jets fly over. QBD hit my place trapping for a couple of weeks last year but didn't connect on one but I'm still getting pics on a regular basis, sometimes as close as 100 yds from the house at night. Would love to have someone experienced come try to thin them down.

Six Pointer

Here are two good articles on coyote predation of deer, one recent, and one older:
    The first one: http://news.psu.edu/story/315340/201...ast-manageable

The second: http://www.gon.com/article.php?id=347
    An interesting discussion in the second article is that coyotes affect "when and where deer feed" and may limit the amount of deer that hunters see. Hmmm....
    Tom Anderson
    NRA Rifle Instructor
    4-H Rifle Instructor

Six Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by lasttombstone View Post
    ... Would love to have someone experienced come try to thin them down.
    Whatcha payin'?
    Tom Anderson
    NRA Rifle Instructor
    4-H Rifle Instructor

I place cameras at 3 different tracts. 1 tract I never had a coyote on camera tell this year and the other I've had more then ever. I've also seen more when walking around scouting, of course I don't see them when hunting but they are quick to find a dead deer in an area I've never seen them before.
    Shooting 2012 ELITE Answer

Quote Originally Posted by Triggernosis View Post
    Whatcha payin'?
    I ain't charging. LOL.

Six Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by lasttombstone View Post
    I ain't charging. LOL.
    That's a good one.
    Get in touch with Jimmy Pierce - I'll bet he'd be interested. He posts on here.
    Tom Anderson
    NRA Rifle Instructor
    4-H Rifle Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyBear View Post
    There are large numbers of coyotes in urban areas that are never seen. I think guaging numbers by sitings or trail cam pics isn't a good way to estimate numbers.
    They are not called wiley coyotes for nothing. The fact that you do not see them is not a good indicator that they are not there. But I agree that some areas have more than others and I also do not believe they are going to be the end of the whitetail deer or the wild turkey. Sure, they will kill some but there are areas of the country where the coyotes and wildlife have coexisted in good numbers for decades.

Bobcats are another elusive critter. I have hunted the same property ever year since I was around 12 years old and I have never seen a bobcat on that property in all of the thousands of hours I have spent on that property. But when I started trapping that propery for coyotes a few years ago, I started catching the bobcats that I had never seen.

I have hunted areas in states where coyotes have flourished for centuries that have greater populations of turkey and deer than we have. BTW, they do not have as many cars on the road killing wildlife as we have either.

Having said all of that, I will shoot every coyote that I get a chance to shoot. I will also put a bracelet on their foot and give them a dirt nap every time I can get them to put their paw on my trap pan as well.

My .02 cents.....Your mileage may vary.
    RacPlaques.com
    PiedmontSkullWorks.com

Every day on the right side of the grass is a great day.