Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Coyotes Are there really that many of them?

Cautious or skittish are the word for them here,not too smart though...I've had several walk right into a bullet
    "I wish i could breathe life back in him, if i could i'd hunt him again tomorrow." Ben Rogers Lee.

fwiw, we have plenty of coyotes in wayne, lenoir, jones counties. see them regularly. dogs constantly break of on coyotes in jones, and every couple weeks in wayne i see a coyote cruising the fields. more than a handful of times, i have seen coyotes chasing healthy adult deer. a couple times they were within 100 yds of their quarry. have seen an 8pt cross a creek while bass fishing and the moment he hit the water a coyote was on the bank he'd just left watching him. cousin shot a deer last week and had a coyote on him before 2 mins past. walking the cutover paths in the spring, i have seen about 10 fawn carcasses. we do have a lot of cats also, but most tracks we find are coyote.

couple years ago we hadn't seen a deer from season opener to mid-november. then within 2 weeks, shot 10 coyotes on a 100 acre tract. deer started appearing in the fields and on the paths and cornpiles. trail cameras showed them the whole time and they were moving only at night before. every time a siren goes off we hear at least 2 packs howl to each other. i have had a pack split up on both sides of the path and yip to each other while closing in as i was exiting on after a bow hunt when i had left my flashlight at the truck--not a good feeling.

i attempt to shoot every coyote i see, regardless. roughly 5 in front of dogs, 1 with the bow, 20 while hunting, 2 while traveling.

15 years ago I had never seen a coyote.
    DOG: Browning A-Bolt .30-06 "Bruce" BOSS w Redfield Revolution 3-9x50 4-Plex/Remington Core-Lok 165gr.
    STILL: Remington 700 SPSS .257 Wby Mag w Premier Heritage Lite Tac 3.5-15x50 Gen II/Wby Nosler Ballistic Tip 115gr.
    GIFT: Interarms Mark X .25-06 w Vortex Diamondback 3.5-10x50 BDC/Federal Premium Triple Shock 100gr.
    SWEET: LNIB Browning BBR .30-06 NIB Browning BBR
    CARRY: FN Five-seveN USG/FNH 5.7x28mm VMax 40gr.
    SHOTGUN: Remington 1100 2 3/4"

Old Mossy Horns

Quote Originally Posted by timekiller13 View Post
    All of this talk about low deer numbers and overpopulation of coyotes got me thinking. Are there really as many coyotes out as we think? I have been hunting for 20 years. I have hunted in alleghany, Ashe, Alexander, buncombe, Catawba, Chatham, McDowell Granville Stokes Vance and Wilkes counties. I have been running trail cameras since 2003. On average I hunt 35 days a year, small game hunt another 10 days and spend another 30-40 scouting and working my leases. Not to mention all the time I spend camping and hiking. I keep extensive journals of my hunting experiences. In 20 years I have never seen a coyote while deer hunting. In fact, I have only seen 2 coyotes while engaged in a hunting activity. I did not get a coyote on trail camera until 2010. In total, I have less than 50 pictures of coyotes on camera. A lot of them showed up in Wilkes when we had our die off. They scavenged on the dead deer. I got 3 pictures of coyotes this year and the last one was in September. I have 12 trail cameras in the woods right now in 3 different counties. If coyotes are so abundant, then why are we not seeing more of them?
    you have made the mistake of thinking that your experiences reflect the sum of the situation.

personally i have never seen a turkey while deer hunting- but they seem to be doing well in the state.

They can be dealt with by putting out feces from the local pound as well...they are very succeptible to several canine diseases and it will go through the local population like wildfire. I think that's why you don't see that much sign in poor rural neighborhoods, but in sub divisions they have started being a real problem. Folks in those areas don't tend to have dogs that have kennel cough, distemper, mange...ect..so the yotes aren't affected by that feces. As we all know they will eat feces and mark their areas with their feces as well, so they spread the diseases quickly.
    They started to really take hold on a large lease I was on, but were easily dealt with by putting out feces ..we never saw dead ones, but in less than a year we stopped seeing tracks on the roads. I've heard stories about landowners getting sick puppies from the pound and baiting them with that, but there's no way I could do that myself, too softhearted I guess.

I've not seen one while hunting, but have heard them a couple times while waiting for LST duck hunting. I have seen one out at Jordan a couple summers ago while I was fishing. It showed zero fear of me...I was in the boat probably 30' from the bank, maybe less, when it came trotting by, stopped, and continued on.

I've only seen a few and gotten a few pix on my game camera, but in the past, they would regularly create quite a ruckus out back. I think they were running deer through the creek beds. I did find one skeleton that may have been their work (??). Not so lately, and I can only suspect it's because there aren't many deer to run. I sometimes hear them off in the distance, but not close like I used to. And, yes, it think they put a big dent in the fawn population.
    Dying isn't so bad. The real tragedy is that most people never really live.
    Proverbs 26:4
    Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

Twelve Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by Triggernosis View Post
    Here are two good articles on coyote predation of deer, one recent, and one older:
    The first one: http://news.psu.edu/story/315340/201...ast-manageable

The second: http://www.gon.com/article.php?id=347
    An interesting discussion in the second article is that coyotes affect "when and where deer feed" and may limit the amount of deer that hunters see. Hmmm....
    Hmmm... according to those articles, bobcats, bears and uncontrolled doe harvest is just as big a problem, if not bigger, than coyotes.

Six Pointer

Hmmm... according to those articles, bobcats, bears and uncontrolled doe harvest is just as big a problem, if not bigger, than coyotes.
    Exactly. My point was that coyotes may limit the amount of deer we "see" due to their changes in feeding times and places.
    Tom Anderson
    NRA Rifle Instructor
    4-H Rifle Instructor
    High Power Service Rifle XTC Master

All of this talk about low deer numbers and overpopulation of coyotes got me thinking. Are there really as many coyotes out as we think? I have been hunting for 20 years. I have hunted in alleghany, Ashe, Alexander, buncombe, Catawba, Chatham, McDowell Granville Stokes Vance and Wilkes counties. I have been running trail cameras since 2003. On average I hunt 35 days a year, small game hunt another 10 days and spend another 30-40 scouting and working my leases. Not to mention all the time I spend camping and hiking. I keep extensive journals of my hunting experiences. In 20 years I have never seen a coyote while deer hunting. In fact, I have only seen 2 coyotes while engaged in a hunting activity. I did not get a coyote on trail camera until 2010. In total, I have less than 50 pictures of coyotes on camera. A lot of them showed up in Wilkes when we had our die off. They scavenged on the dead deer. I got 3 pictures of coyotes this year and the last one was in September. I have 12 trail cameras in the woods right now in 3 different counties. If coyotes are so abundant, then why are we not seeing more of them?
    That's rare. I have killed many coyotes in buncombe and Catawba counties. Along with other wnc counties. Get tons of pics of them.

I guess you are fortunate to be in a pocket where there aren't many. Other pockets have a lot. Like I said, I'm in some of same counties as you and have pics weekly. Usually have a visual sighting bi monthly

I Herr them most every hunt at dark. And every single night here at the house. Only seen one while hunting though.

Edit: I take that back. I have see 3 while hunting. 1 deer hunting and 2 turkey hunting.
    Last edited by Zombie; 12-18-2014 at 10:12 AM.

"You may find me dead in a ditch one day...But by God you'll find me in a pile of brass!"

I was a zombie when zombies weren't cool!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !
    III%

Proud Member of the NRA