Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Coyotes Are there really that many of them?

greatwhitehunter

I hunt several large pieces of land and don't see many coyotes, I can hear them and see plenty of tracks though. They don't seem to affect our deer and turkey populations. I see 2 to 3 bobcats a year most years.

Four Pointer

My son and I have both shot one this hunting season. Choot em every chance we get! He had one on his cam we checked tonight in Polk county. I've heard lots of coyotes at night but never like a couple nights in Moore county this season. Must have found a wounded or dead deer on our lease!
    Last edited by HAYCONC; 12-18-2014 at 09:46 PM.
    " I've got a shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive
    And a country boy can survive"

Twelve Pointer nc rabbit hunter's Avatar

The local outside foxhunters stack them like wood!!!!! Ask them how many yotes are here!!
    Southeastern Beagle Club/Clinton,NC
    Cottontail Connection Gundog Kennels
    Devils Racetrack Wildlife Club/ JoCo Lowgrounds
    Mill Creek Buck Club/Harrells,NC
    Trophy Buck Hunting Club/Lillington,NC
    Moonshine Hunting Club/ Harrells,NC

Spike

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Revo View Post
    I don't think they kill too many adult deer, but fawns I know they can catch and kill with ease. I've witnessed fawns being run and killed during bow season a few times, and it's sickening the way they play with them before they tear them apart.
    I also know they will destroy a turkey population in a very short time, and have already combined with the other varmints to decimate the quail population in my area.
    Are they #1 reason for the low numbers of deer seen, no, but they are another non-native invader that should be dealth with accordingly. We have plenty of native raptors and smaller canine and feline predators that can take care of the natural order of things, the WRC needs to concentrate on getting rid of as many of these varmints as possible in any manner they can, whether it be a bounty or other methods to encourage folks to take more of them when given an opportunity.
    I agree that coyotes have definitely hurting our deer population however man has been trying to get rid of them unsuccessfully in areas they are established for years. I don't think there is anything the wrc can do because we now have coyotes and unfortunately they are here to stay. The only thing the wrc can do is maybe adjust our deer season. I think the days of killing as many does as we can and still not worrying about deer populations may be over.

For those that think they don't kill adult deer. I strongly disagree with that for one simple reason. Many deer wind up hurt from fighting, brushes with vehicles, running and do damage to their feet and legs, shot by hunters but not fatally wounded, other injuries and it becomes an easy task for a couple of yotes to take that injured deer down before it has time to fully recover. Every year I capture a bunch of deer on my deer cameras that have been injured, some with extremely serious injuries and could hardly walk much less evade being caught and killed by coyotes.

I have had the same experience as others have posted. It doesn't take a pack of coyotes more than a few minutes to find a killed deer. Twice I have had them find and begin to eat on a deer before I could walk 3/4ths mile to get my ATV and get back to the deer. I have started leaving my back pack sitting on top or beside any deer I kill until I can get to my ATV and get back to the deer. One time I shot a doe with a bow and arrow. While we were tracking the deer it grew dark and not long afterwards we heard coyotes coming down the blood trail we had just followed. They came within 20 - 30 yards of us in the thick laurel patch. We were only able to get a shot at one of them, an immature pup of the year so we know they were running in a pack. It wasn't a good feeling hearing them coming down the trail we had just followed and us only having a pocket pistol.

I have heard lots and lots of coyotes howl. I have seen many while varmint hunting in the summer. I have seen more than a few while deer hunting. I definitely have seen more than a few while hunting over my coyote bait pile. From my experience I can definitely say that my sightings have increased ten fold since I began hunting the coyote bait pile. That to me means without a bait pile for every one you see there are probably 10 or more in the area that you don't see.

I believe that they do take a heavy tole on the deer herds, primarily during the fawning season but also a lot during the fall hunting season when injuries of all kinds to deer are more apt to occur.

I do everything in my power to make a good one out of every one I can.

I like Darkthiry's thoughts.

If they are relatively new, then they are having a field day with new fawns, as any new predator would. Nature will calm that down. I also agree that dropping deer #'s may cause some hunters to think there are no deer anymore, when there are simply fewer.

What I don't understand is why would they be so elusive? If they are relatively new to an area, as an apex predator, why don't we see more when driving or what not?

nearly every single one I've seen (less than 25) have been in predator mode, whether I'm in the truck, in the stand, or looking at my trailcam pics.

Other than people with weapons, they really don't have much to fear, so why aren't they bolder. I would think if they were inundating urban areas, they'd be seen and called about all the time?
    "Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions" GWB 7/12/16

Six Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Killington View Post
    Yes they are the biggest problem. Wait for next year when they eat the ehd surviving does fawns.
    Yep, I think my area is going to be even harder to see deer in next year.

If coyotes are doing all this damage to the herd then how do other states that have as many or more coyotes still have a lot of deer?

Not being sarcastic just honestly looking for a answer.

Old Mossy Horns

Research suggest in the Southeast fawn survival in about 1 fawn to four does. They don't know what the difference is in the southeast but the only change is established populations of coyotes. Extensive trapping of coyotes on large tracts has also be researched and fawn survival increased. To ignore these facts is bliss. I know we had/have a population of at least one coyote or more/100 acres . I don't get a lot of pics of yotes but we kill them and hear them at night. I have also gotten less pics of fawns(does with no fawns) over the last several years. I have also witnessed coyotes hunting adult deer in packs.
    "One does not hunt in order to kill, one kills in order to have hunted". Finn Aagard

chrisj0616

Go to the pee dee game lands and tell me there isn't an overpopulation of them