Thinning them down!

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
My hounds jumped and deer/dogs went 3 different was. Not but one shot fired! A good shot, another yote down. Makes # 12 off about 3000 acres. Bad news is we know there are more, well at least we'll have something to run.

Guys let the deer go to leave some for the future.

Last edited:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I believe you gonna be running coyotes year round now?

Seriously thinking about it. Two more slipped out yesterday. They also slipped away, but their time will come I hope. One my shot gun was not in my hand and I had stepped to the truck to answer one of the guys on the radio, with the door open and setting there just after answering, I saw something move 15-20 yards from me, yote! Well it was coming toward me and I looked up at my gun several feet away. I thought "That ain't going to happen" and it didn't. Bad thing is I almost always keep the gun within reach. Oh, well!

We did run quite a few does yesterday. One guy said it's a good thing we aren't killing does, 'cause I think we could have taken out the rest of the herd today. Heard some mighty fine races, though.:greenjump:

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Good luck with the yotes. I took some trail cameras up to Ohio this year back in Oct. Everyone of them had yotes on them to start with and I missed twice with my crossbow on them. They just dont give you much time but they got wise quick. Landowner had a cow to die on one trip so he took it to the woods. At first the buzzards worked on it but then it laid there for a week..nothing touched it. Then all of a sudden the yotes started working on it. Within the week of gun season they ate that whole cow. I came by it everyday and it amazed me at how much was missing each day. I never seen them around it because they was doing it at night. I been debating on buying one of the alpha dog electronic calls by primos for christmas.

As for the does this time of year....I learned long ago through dog hunting...you will run doe after doe after doe but then you hit a spot and it will be full of bucks. Might jump 6-7 at one time. Usually these places hold bucks year after year at the end of season. Just saying..dont know if you have noticed this too or not. Good luck to you.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Ya catfishrus, the guys I hunt with or really anybody that I have hunted around know the does herd back up in late December. Same as with the bucks returning to core areas and having some bucks, usually the younger ones, running together this time of year.

2boyz

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I believe you gonna be running coyotes year round now?

I contend that the right packs of hounds could extend the hunting season significantly by running coyotes to hunters. The key point would be to shoot coyotes rather than listening to an extended chase. Why wouldn't any club, dogs or not, welcome (and possibly pay costs) a well-trained pack of coyote hounds after deer season? (No intent to hijack....hopefully following the discussion)

nc rabbit hunter

I know a guy who runs 1 broke yote hound and they have stacked some yotes! He went to the midwest to buy her.They say she will bring em rite to the gun.

Southside

Ten Pointer
I know a guy who runs 1 broke yote hound and they have stacked some yotes! He went to the midwest to buy her.They say she will bring em rite to the gun.

I have been told that some broke dogs will work together and one leads the yote and the other gives chase to bring them in. Have no idea if this is true but if so that would be one heck of a pair if so.

nc rabbit hunter

They got a 10 year old and a couple of pups.She will course the yote when needed and bring him right to the guys!!