Huge pumpkin seeds

Bar3006

Ten Pointer
All I ordered some huge pumpkin seeds last year from Ohio
I grew 1 almost 100 lbs anyway I have the seeds and am willing to give them away to any hunt and fish member
Please send a sae envelope to me at bar3006 5694 turner smith rd browns summit nc 27214 lll send you 10 or 12 seeds to plant for this spring

ncboman

Any idea what variety?
What size pumpkins did you grow from them?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Atlantic Giant?

If you want to grow 200 plus fruit, Atlantic Giant is the only variety to grow.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sending an envelope today, my wife loves to grow punkins. Thanks for the offer, that was very thoughtful of you.
8ea6b1df1dbea6ad5114a7574fd443ea.jpg

Last edited:

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Cool offer. My daughter would love to have a pumpkin like this to do her "art" work on.

Bar3006

Ten Pointer
Not sure, mine weighed about 90 lbs. We used a hatchet to split it open, it was mainly hollow. I'll mail ya 10 or 12 depending on your envelope size. last year I got 24 seeds for 20 bucks. I planted each seed in a Styrofoam cup. when they reached 3 inches tall I transplanted. I gaven a lot of them to friends to experiment with. You will be amazed at the size of vines you will get. I suggest going on line and start reading up on the secrets the pros use. I just remember they came from Ohio. I suggest trying one out now to get it to germinate now so you'll have an idea how long it will take those came up in about 6 days. then you will want to have your real ones ready to move outside by mid April.
Good luck all

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
http://www.gardenersnet.com/vegetable/giantpumpkins.htm Top Ten Secrets to Growing Record-Breaking Giant Pumpkins:

Super Soil - First, get out your soil tester, to assure that the soil pH is ideal for growing pumpkins. Average soil just will not do. Add ample amounts of compost and manure to your soil. It is best to till it into your soil in the fall, especially if the manure is raw (not decomposed). Check the pH again, after adding soil amendments.

Great Genetics -To grow a giant pumpkin, find seeds that have the genetics to grow huge fruit. Goliath Giant pumpkin seeds and Atlantic Giant pumpkin seeds are readily available. This will get you started. After a year or two of learning and attending the giant pumpkin weighoffs, you will come in contact with growers, who can give you some of the best genetic seeds available. The very best genetics are not available in stores. The top growers have them. Armed with good genetic seeds, you have the potential to grow your first, and hopefully record breaking, giant pumpkin. The rest is up to you.

An early, indoor start - Giant pumpkin plants require 140 days or more from the time you plant a seed, to the time you harvest the fruit. Growers seeking to break the world record, start seeds in mid to late April, and harvest fruit in early October. That means as many as 160 days, from when the seed was planted! Chances are, you will have to start them indoors. When you do, the young seedlings will need your attention, and as much sunlight as you can provide. It also means, you may need to provide cold and frost protection when you transfer them outdoors. As October nears, you may again have to protect them from cold and frost.

Lots of Fertilizer, the right stuff, at the right time - Throw away what you've learned about fertilizing, and re-learn the art of fertilizing giant pumpkins. It is truely an art form, as giant pumpkins require huge amounts of fertilizer. Start with a high nitrogen formula in the spring. Apply a high phosphorous fertilizer in advance of the blooming/fruit set stage. Finally, switch to a high potassium formula, for fruit growth and plant health.

Pour on the Water - The top growers have elaborate drip systems, to deliver the right amount of water (moist, not wet soil), 24/7. They add liquid fertilizers, fish emulsions, and seaweed fertilizer in their water tanks.

Liquid Calcium - All the fertilizer and nutrients in the world, can not be used efficiently, if soluble calcium is not present in your soil. Liquid calcium significantly increases the ability of plants to take up those nutrients and use them, to grow big fruit.

Nurturing Plant Growth and Pruning Vines - Prior to flowering and fruit set, the trick is to get your plant growing fast and furious. But, that's not enough. Here is how the top growers train and develop their vines: Grow the vines in a "Christmas tree" shape. Let secondary vines grow out and away from the main vine, to a length of 10' to 12'. At this point pinch off the growing tip, and bury it in the ground. Also, prune off any tertiary vines (those that grow off the secondary vine), as they appear. Pruning is vital, to maximize growth of the fruit. It encourages, or "trains" the vine, to focus upon sending nutrients to the fruit.

Promoting Secondary Root Growth - Secondary root growth can have a HUGE impact upon the final weight of the fruit. Secondary roots will form at the point where a a leaf stem meets the vine. Cover the vine at this point, with a couple inches of rich garden soil. Keep it well watered, and the roots will grow deeply. When fertilizing, feed secondary roots, too. More on Secondary Roots

Insect and Pumpkin Disease Protection - Many growers have had a great big pumpkin growing strongly on the vine, only to have it slowed, or even felled, by insect problems or plant disease. Pumpkins are susceptible to a number of insect and disease problems. Fortunately, there are insecticides and fungicides that will treat many of the most common pumpkin plant problems. It is vital to begin a treatment plant early, BEFORE insect or disease problems can take hold. Begin applying insecticides early in the season. Begin using fungicides before heat and humidity arrives in your area.

Shading the Fruit - Giant pumpkin fruit begins its life, as a soft shelled, yellow fruit. The skin is very pliable, allowing it to quickly grow and expand. Hot, sun and dry wind, can harden the skin, signaling the fruit to ripen. The trick, is to keep the skin soft, and pliable. Giant pumpkin growers quickly learn, that a shade cover over the fruit is essential to growing 'em big. Shade covers can be simple, or elaborate.

Did You Know? Like regular field pumpkins, giant pumpkins are edible. There are plenty of recipes for cooking with giant pumpkins. But, the bigger they get, the coarser the texture of the pulp.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
What do you do with one that big? To big to pick up without a tractor and a front end loader. Need a pickup to carry it home in. How you going to get it out of the pickup when you get it home? Way to big to try to consume. Just wondering????????

Combine_corn

So I wanna throw this out there... If you had other pumpkins in the patch..> you wont get a true giant pumpkin, it will have cross pollinated.

Also.. Powdery mildew will be the Bane of most of your pumpkin endeavors.. I suggest some fungicides.

Bar3006

Ten Pointer
JDL25 I have about 50 more send me a SAE next week. I planted a few test ones Tuesday to see if they germinate like the ones I bought from Ohio guy.
I paid 20 bucks for 25. we had a blast watching those huge vines take over the garden.
I suggest digging you a hole now and start placing mulch in the hole along with other nutrients to be ready for a mid to late April planting.
bar3006