Thinking of starting a company

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
Just want to get some opinions on this.
I am thinking of starting a wildlife/habitat management company. Improving property for wildlife& hunting purposes is something I have an undeniable passion for. I'm curious to know if it would be worthwhile to pursue doing it for clients. My service would basically be this:
Primarily a consulting business....visiting landowners properties, discussing their goals for the land, and working up a strategy to accomplish them in the most cost effective way, including suggested hunting strategies, and also researching neighboring properties and determining how to make the clients property the most attractive in the area. Follow up visits if desired.
Then if the landowner wants help implementing said goals....I would offer services to do so....Timber Stand Improvement, enrolling in CRP or wetlands programs, putting in food plots, establishing bedding areas and travel corridors, land clearing, tree planting, anything the client needs to accomplish their goals for the property.

I would likely charge a flat consulting fee...and would travel to the client anywhere in NC, TN, Va, or SC.

I would charge additional services by the job or by the day...depending on the job.

It would only be part time as Im not crazy enough to quit my day job with no established customer base

Do u guys think people would pay for the services I would offer?

I've been toying with the idea for a while...as this is something I truly love doing...and without trying to sound arrogant....quite a few people have told me I'm good at it...and I agree that I have a knack for seeing things most people don't in a property and take pride in that.

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There are folks that will pay for just about anything these days, so that question would be answered in the affirmative. There are also folks on this forum who make their living from a very similar type of product that you are describing so I would assume that there would be established competition with state and private services as well.
If this is a dream, I would pursue it to the fullest of your capabilites, but as you have mentioned, before jumping in with both feet...do lots of homework and have a bulletproof business plan. (advice given from one who didn't and now works for others)

Natural Flight Ryan

What are your qualifications? Do you have a degree or work experience in a similar field? People won't hire you just because your friends say your good at it. You will need something to show them.

Just for the info, I can't see myself hiring anyone to come do this for me. If I was going to pay you to come set up my property for me to hunt, I'd spend that money and get someone in Illinois to let me hunt theirs. I also think the funniest part of hunting is trying to figure the deer out. Others opinions may vary

deerslyr30-06

Old Mossy Horns
What are your qualifications? Do you have a degree or work experience in a similar field? People won't hire you just because your friends say your good at it. You will need something to show them.

Just for the info, I can't see myself hiring anyone to come do this for me. If I was going to pay you to come set up my property for me to hunt, I'd spend that money and get someone in Illinois to let me hunt theirs. I also think the funniest part of hunting is trying to figure the deer out. Others opinions may vary

this^^^^

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer

I do have qualifications. I have a bachelor's in forestry with a minor in deer behavior. As far as work experience....professionally none...but I interned in college with a state forestry and 2 whitetail farms.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
I do have qualifications. I have a bachelor's in forestry with a minor in deer behavior. As far as work experience....professionally none...but I interned in college with a state forestry and 2 whitetail farms.

Looks like your qualified to me...get a few references under your belt and you're set on go.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns

This goes back to the 'teach a man to fish, give a man a fish' argument. I am sure there are plenty of leases and landowners, in the states he mentioned, that would love the help in helping optimize their grounds. Badlandbucks plots look outstanding, and his harvests this year alone would get me to listen.

Southern

Ten Pointer
I have sold,invested in and dealt with hunting land and farms for 24 years. I also spent a number of years underwriting and financing start up businesses. In NC you will find it very difficult to find enough people to pay for this service to make it a full time business. Its a dream job that alot of folks have tried but tough in this state.

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
I have sold,invested in and dealt with hunting land and farms for 24 years. I also spent a number of years underwriting and financing start up businesses. In NC you will find it very difficult to find enough people to pay for this service to make it a full time business. Its a dream job that alot of folks have tried but tough in this state.
I thought that might be the case...do you think my prospects would increase if I were willing to travel father...like anything east of the Mississippi?

chef

Ten Pointer
I thought that might be the case...do you think my prospects would increase if I were willing to travel father...like anything east of the Mississippi?

you could also expand to more than just hunting habitat. if you are interested in things like permaculture (large and small scale), back yard gardening, timber forestry, etc you can vastly increase your market. of course hunting property design is what you are most interested in but if you want it to be a business and need to increase market size it is a way.

foolish

Six Pointer

I think with a flat fee your going to lose your :donk. If your going to run a business just because you charge $100hr doesn't mean your making that. Good luck and I hope your new adventure goes well.

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
you could also expand to more than just hunting habitat. if you are interested in things like permaculture (large and small scale), back yard gardening, timber forestry, etc you can vastly increase your market. of course hunting property design is what you are most interested in but if you want it to be a business and need to increase market size it is a way.

That's a good idea....I definitely could do general forestry, timber consulting....not sure I'd want to go the backyard gardening route....but then again..like u said...business needs $ to operate

mdunker

Ten Pointer
I think a wildlife management company that also did timber consulting along with habitat improvement could find a niche. One of those bobcats with the mulching heads are in demand. Someone who could cut lanes, clear land, and also plant food plots I think could make it.

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
I think with a flat fee your going to lose your :donk. If your going to run a business just because you charge $100hr doesn't mean your making that. Good luck and I hope your new adventure goes well.
My flat fee would cover my travel. If I had to stay in a hotel that would be extra

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
I think a wildlife management company that also did timber consulting along with habitat improvement could find a niche. One of those bobcats with the mulching heads are in demand. Someone who could cut lanes, clear land, and also plant food plots I think could make it.
I have a tractor & a skidloader....I want a forestry mower for it BAD! But I can't pony up the $$$ for one of those things yet.
I also have access to a dozer and larger farm equipment

foolish

Six Pointer
My flat fee would cover my travel. If I had to stay in a hotel that would be extra

OK I gotcha now flat fee + something like mileage . I really think that you might be on to something. Get you a Web and face book page and go for it. No risk no reward

nckeith

Ten Pointer
I would agree. There are not enough gentleman farmers in NC. Most of the biggest landowners are real farmers. I had an acquaintance who tried something similar and even specialized in horse farmlettes. Needless to say he is now working in a totally unrelated field selling fire protection. Nobody was willing to pay enough to make it worth his time. Those who cared enough and were passionate enough to own land, enjoyed doing their own work in the "offseason". I have owned a few business and have even been lucky to sell some. I would say scratch the idea.

hayco10

Eight Pointer
I would agree. There are not enough gentleman farmers in NC. Most of the biggest landowners are real farmers. I had an acquaintance who tried something similar and even specialized in horse farmlettes. Needless to say he is now working in a totally unrelated field selling fire protection. Nobody was willing to pay enough to make it worth his time. Those who cared enough and were passionate enough to own land, enjoyed doing their own work in the "offseason". I have owned a few business and have even been lucky to sell some. I would say scratch the idea.
You might also throw in some pond management as it relates to hunting and fishing.

JayB

Those who cared enough and were passionate enough to own land, enjoyed doing their own work in the "offseason".

This is true...I like doing my own work. I'm sure a lot of others do too. But I also don't have the equipment to clear a large lot, in which case I'd have to hire someone or rent equipment.

Like any business, you need a good plan. It's fine to start off part time, but it takes a lot of work. Eat, sleep, and breathe advertising...you need to get your name out there(if they don't know who you are or what you do, they won't hire you!) A good way to start is to get a website (check out freelancer.com to have them build one) and good SEO so potential customers can find you with a google search.

The most important piece of advice I can give you is make sure you are doing things legally. You'll need to look into proper licenses, insurance, taxes, etc. I know of a lot of people who "fly under the radar", but you are risking everything by doing this. Accidents come without wanring and you need to make sure you are covered.

nckeith

Ten Pointer
This is true...I like doing my own work. I'm sure a lot of others do too. But I also don't have the equipment to clear a large lot, in which case I'd have to hire someone or rent equipment.

Like any business, you need a good plan. It's fine to start off part time, but it takes a lot of work. Eat, sleep, and breathe advertising...you need to get your name out there(if they don't know who you are or what you do, they won't hire you!) A good way to start is to get a website (check out freelancer.com to have them build one) and good SEO so potential customers can find you with a google search.

The most important piece of advice I can give you is make sure you are doing things legally. You'll need to look into proper licenses, insurance, taxes, etc. I know of a lot of people who "fly under the radar", but you are risking everything by doing this. Accidents come without wanring and you need to make sure you are covered.
I agree with your point about hiring it out as well, but again, I would say clearing land is best left to a grader. Then are you really a hunting land manager or running a grading company? Two totally different areas.
The idea of traveling far and wide to expand a service area is great as well, but how would you take PTO to travel to do estimates and take PTO to do the work. Just how flexible is your day job?
I think what you are dreaming of is being a land manager for a ranch or some wealthy land baron like John Malone or Ted Turner. Jobs like that are more realistic out west with vast holdings, where wealthy business people commute to from jobs on the coast. I've known folks in Colorado who managed ranches of thousands of acres and never really saw the owners except a few times a year. The rest of the time, they made sure the squatters were kept away, the grounds were pristine and fences were intact. Its just not going to happen in NC as a career or second career.

chef

Ten Pointer
here could be an idea:

arrange a way (website, etc) for folks looking to hunt private land to pair up with folks with land.

your role is too find the landowner's and list their property. you meet with the landowner and go over what improvements they want made to their land ie food plots, orchards, ponds, timber harvesting/timber production. you figure the price of doing business. you then list the property and what it would cost to hunt it as well as maximum number of folks the landowner will grant access to. example:

size/location:300 acres
max # : 4
cost of improvements (and how property will be improved and what it looks like now: basically a pro-forma) $20,000
term of lease of hunting rights: 8 years from completion

the catch is the hunters pay the improvement fee. the landowner grants access (formal lease with rules etc) to the hunters for the allotted time. when the time is up, they can arrange something else (through you or privately) or all parties move on.

how you get paid:
you get paid both on the work done ($20k) and any fees associated with the application process

Last edited:

Southside

Ten Pointer
Why do you say that?

Not to interrupt Southern but my answer to this would be there is not that much money in equipment work as it is. Not sure if there's enough of the specialty market(or at least enough of the market that can pay what it should cost). You would run the risk of ending up clearing lots for houses which barely pays for fuel costs this day and time. I have no knowledge of the other parts of your business so the rest may work?

Southern

Ten Pointer
here could be an idea:

arrange a way (website, etc) for folks looking to hunt private land to pair up with folks with land.

your role is too find the landowner's and list their property. you meet with the landowner and go over what improvements they want made to their land ie food plots, orchards, ponds, timber harvesting/timber production. you figure the price of doing business. you then list the property and what it would cost to hunt it as well as maximum number of folks the landowner will grant access to. example:

size/location:300 acres
max # : 4
cost of improvements (and how property will be improved and what it looks like now: basically a pro-forma) $20,000
term of lease of hunting rights: 8 years from completion

the catch is the hunters pay the improvement fee. the landowner grants access (formal lease with rules etc) to the hunters for the allotted time. when the time is up, they can arrange something else (through you or privately) or all parties move on.

how you get paid:
you get paid both on the work done ($20k) and any fees associated with the application process

Any compensation= real estate broker by law.

chef

Ten Pointer
Any compensation= real estate broker by law.

really?: you are effectively doing yard work and maybe some timber harvesting. you aren't acquiring any land. it is essentially a match up site. there is no transfer of property. it is finding someone else to pay for improvements to your land and in return you grant access.

Southern

Ten Pointer
really?: you are effectively doing yard work and maybe some timber harvesting. you aren't acquiring any land. it is essentially a match up site. there is no transfer of property. it is finding someone else to pay for improvements to your land and in return you grant access.

By law, if you are receiving any compensation to assist with LEASING or selling a property, or relating to a lease transaction in anyway, you have to have a license.

Southern

Ten Pointer
By law, if you are receiving any compensation to assist with LEASING or selling a property, or relating to a lease transaction in anyway, you have to have a license.

Matchmaking even if disguised as labor, is a big no no in the eyes of the real estate commission