Thinking of starting a company

chef

Ten Pointer
Matchmaking even if disguised as labor, is a big no no in the eyes of the real estate commission

huh, go figure. but what does it matter if they approve? can they shut you down or just shun you. how does air b&b not get shut down legally?

Southern

Ten Pointer
There is apparently a distinction between renting rooms for a night and a long term lease. No license needed to rent hotel rooms. That being said, I do now wonder if leasing the right to use a property just for hunting is considered there same as renting a building or house. Probably is the same as leasing land for any other use. May need to check into that one. If it is, then the Real Estate Commission can bring charges for practicing real estate without a license, just like practicing law without a license. All of that being said, the real problem is inventory. You will NEVER find enough land to lease for hunting in a million years to make it a business. I get literally thousands of requests a year for leases and find about 2 new ones each year.

Last edited:

hrcarver

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I started about 8 years ago. Not exactly your niche, but going after a similar client list. Started off very slow, for years, but my base grows every year. I pick up a couple a year, and occasionally get a real good one. Now I could make a pretty good living at it if I had too. As it is, it's a great fit with my other businesses that provide me some much appreciated diversity (hard lesson learned from 2008-2012). Then again, that crash gave me time to seriously push Bioplots since I wasn't busy in other things. Now the spare time is gone, but that was my goal!

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I've seen this work as a business. I worked as a forestry/ wildlife tech on a private plantation that hired a biologist /forester to write the initialrecommendations. There may be enough business down in the eastern part of the state (?), but probably not in the western part. I'd say sc,ga, al,or fl maybe better suited for this type of work. Food plots would be fine for a one man operation, but tsi, tree planting etc. you would need crews to get this type of work done. One man steady planting can get 3-4 acres a day done. If you had to stay out of town in hotels for that type of production you would loose quick. Most of the out of town planting crews will split a room 5 or 6 ways. You would need at minimum a 5-10 man crew to stay competitive in the tree planting world. As fragmentation of larger tracts the harder it will be for a business like this to work. Good luck, hope it works out for ya

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
Definitely some things to think about. As far as large equipment for clearing etc...I didn't plan on doing that myself. I would subcontract the big jobs out...especially on out of state jobs. Id hire a local grading company to do the work.

haywoodhunter

Eight Pointer
Just for an example of how it could work, I know some farmers that lease about half their land to about 4 doctors to hunt. Now these doctors make the big big money. They also work the long long hours. From speaking with these farmers, it seems that while these doctors enjoy hunting, they don't have the time to make the improvements, even though they definitely have the funds. They even offered to pay the farmers big money to build a box stand, the farmers told them it wouldn't cost much but the doctors still offered to pay big. Someone like this with limited time but a large checkbook would most likely be willing to pay for the service you are offering.

Sounds like a cool business idea, I'd love to see it succeed.

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
Just for an example of how it could work, I know some farmers that lease about half their land to about 4 doctors to hunt. Now these doctors make the big big money. They also work the long long hours. From speaking with these farmers, it seems that while these doctors enjoy hunting, they don't have the time to make the improvements, even though they definitely have the funds. They even offered to pay the farmers big money to build a box stand, the farmers told them it wouldn't cost much but the doctors still offered to pay big. Someone like this with limited time but a large checkbook would most likely be willing to pay for the service you are offering.

Sounds like a cool business idea, I'd love to see it succeed.
That's actually the type of customer base I'd be primarily after. Lots of big$$ landowners don't have time to manage their farms...but would likely pay someone to make it an awesome hunting spot so they can enjoy it with their family& friends when they do have time

Harpoon

here could be an idea:

arrange a way (website, etc) for folks looking to hunt private land to pair up with folks with land.

your role is too find the landowner's and list their property. you meet with the landowner and go over what improvements they want made to their land ie food plots, orchards, ponds, timber harvesting/timber production. you figure the price of doing business. you then list the property and what it would cost to hunt it as well as maximum number of folks the landowner will grant access to. example:

size/location:300 acres
max # : 4
cost of improvements (and how property will be improved and what it looks like now: basically a pro-forma) $20,000
term of lease of hunting rights: 8 years from completion

the catch is the hunters pay the improvement fee. the landowner grants access (formal lease with rules etc) to the hunters for the allotted time. when the time is up, they can arrange something else (through you or privately) or all parties move on.

how you get paid:
you get paid both on the work done ($20k) and any fees associated with the application process

They already have one, its been in place for few years now plus the timber tracks that gets posted, other hunting/management sources that list land for lease.....google.

There are a few well known "management" companies out there....think the big one that has been around for decades in NC (this area) and a very familiar name has started doing other things....iinm.

Natural Flight Ryan

How much do you charge to come out and take a look? If it's too much, no one will want you to come. If it's too low, I'll get you to come out and take a look, tell me what you are going to do, get the estimate, and do the work myself.

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
How much do you charge to come out and take a look? If it's too much, no one will want you to come. If it's too low, I'll get you to come out and take a look, tell me what you are going to do, get the estimate, and do the work myself.
$500.00 for an initial consultation...plus hotel if I have to stay over

Natural Flight Ryan

I have no real idea, but I'd think that's a decent number. Are you prepared to drive across the state and give someone advice for 500 bucks, knowing you won't get a call back?

Just for the record, I think the business sounds fun, and I hope it works for you, I'm just trying to offer things to think about before you jump in.

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
I have no real idea, but I'd think that's a decent number. Are you prepared to drive across the state and give someone advice for 500 bucks, knowing you won't get a call back?

Just for the record, I think the business sounds fun, and I hope it works for you, I'm just trying to offer things to think about before you jump in.
Absolutely....as mentioned by several, a lot of people like doing the work themselves....but the problem is many landowners don't know where to start or what will give them the most bang for their buck....I would answer those questions...

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Instead of a flat fee for consultation you may look at a per acre basis. If a person had a real small tract they would probably not even consider that sort of price, so you may end up with huge tracts and very minimal payment per acre. I'm assuming the initial consultation would include write ups and maps outlining different management areas. A tract that would be 1000 acres could cause you to spend a great deal of time to get a good look at. But you could go with a flat rate plus x number of dollars per acre. I would also look at what services different government agencies offer so you are not duplicating something they can get for "free ".

ncboman

Just want to get some opinions on this.
I am thinking of starting a wildlife/habitat management company. Improving property for wildlife& hunting purposes is something I have an undeniable passion for. I'm curious to know if it would be worthwhile to pursue doing it for clients. My service would basically be this:
Primarily a consulting business....visiting landowners properties, discussing their goals for the land, and working up a strategy to accomplish them in the most cost effective way, including suggested hunting strategies, and also researching neighboring properties and determining how to make the clients property the most attractive in the area. Follow up visits if desired.
Then if the landowner wants help implementing said goals....I would offer services to do so....Timber Stand Improvement, enrolling in CRP or wetlands programs, putting in food plots, establishing bedding areas and travel corridors, land clearing, tree planting, anything the client needs to accomplish their goals for the property.

I would likely charge a flat consulting fee...and would travel to the client anywhere in NC, TN, Va, or SC.

I would charge additional services by the job or by the day...depending on the job.

It would only be part time as Im not crazy enough to quit my day job with no established customer base

Do u guys think people would pay for the services I would offer?

I've been toying with the idea for a while...as this is something I truly love doing...and without trying to sound arrogant....quite a few people have told me I'm good at it...and I agree that I have a knack for seeing things most people don't in a property and take pride in that.

Pipe Dreaming.

If you have something people need or want, a road will be paved to your door.

People that have money and/or land don't usually need anyone to tell them what to do with it. :)

Natural Flight Ryan

Pipe Dreaming.

If you have something people need or want, a road will be paved to your door.

People that have money and/or land don't usually need anyone to tell them what to do with it. :)

Bowman is right. Quit dreaming, and learn how to drive a roofing nail.

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
Well...after a lot of conversation.....I'm doing it...going to file a DBA today to make it official.
Already got insurance. Here goes!

Harpoon

What equipment do you have/plan to have for lane clearing/brush cutting?

Sorry if I missed it....

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
My focus is on consulting, not making improvements to the land. That being said, for small jobs I have a tractor& skidloader. For the most part I will either subcontract the improvement work or put the client in touch with a company that can do the work

Harpoon

Ok, thanks. Your first post ten days ago mentioned these other services, and the reason I asked.

.......I would offer services to do so....Timber Stand Improvement, enrolling in CRP or wetlands programs, putting in food plots, establishing bedding areas and travel corridors, land clearing, tree planting, anything the client needs to accomplish their goals for the property.

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
Ok, thanks. Your first post ten days ago mentioned these other services, and the reason I asked.

.......I would offer services to do so....Timber Stand Improvement, enrolling in CRP or wetlands programs, putting in food plots, establishing bedding areas and travel corridors, land clearing, tree planting, anything the client needs to accomplish their goals for the property.
Correct. I do. I just won't personally doing the dirt turning. This is because I will travel to anywhere in the state or even out of state....I can't take equipment with me that far...so I will subcontract to a local company in most cases

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
This sounds like a cool job. How's business going?
Slow so far. One paying client but ive had a lot of interest. I'm thinking of doing some trade shows next year to boost exposure.
I'm concentrating on growing my knowledge. I'll be taking two courses on deer behavior this summer, and have scheduled time to work with a very reputable name in the wildlife management field just to gain additional insight

Last edited: