Signs of spring

Songdoghunter

Twelve Pointer
I wouldn't say its a sign of spring. They did that here when it was -15F lol

Red Maples blooming is sign of late January/ early February. Has happened every year I can remember for the past 40 years regardless of temps. Now greenbriars budding is a sign of spring...mid March!;)

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Several cardinals were singing their spring songs yesterday morning, but I always like to see the dogwoods just about to flower...that tells me that it's truly here.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Saw a pair of bluebirds checking out our box this weekend. Also heard doves cooing and a male cardinal doing his spring song. Watched a male dove trying to court an unwilling female also.

And I noticed a lot of maples starting to bloom.

Last edited:

DOEKILLER

Eight Pointer
Seen some small finches building a nest in out xmas wreath on the front door.... Seen some birds attempting to mate... It's getting warmer out... The true test of spring is when you can drive out through the woods and can slam that door and raise a shock gobble! Now that's spring

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
My good friend reported some daffodils emerged and blooming today.

I heard my first spring peepers last night, in spite of the dropping temps.

Last edited:

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
My good friend reported some daffodils emerged and blooming today.

I heard my first spring peepers last night, in spite of the dropping temps.

There are a lot of daffodils blooming near the legislative building. It might be due to all the hot air coming from that building.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
2" snow yesterday. High Saturday is 4 and low is -10 :D. I'm ready for spring lol. We have been blessed with very little snow.

Odd, we pruned a sugar maple Monday that has sap running.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
-5 here this am with -21 windchill.

Went by the ones that roost below the house just off the road and one of them fools was strutting on the limb.

skydog

Looks like we're going to have to wait at least another while longer for a shot at Spring with this bitterly cold weather moving in. Fine by me, I've got a goose hunt planned next week that will hopefully benefit from some cold, windy weather. After that, bring on gobble time :D

Last edited by a moderator: