Boston Whaler 17' Montauk

Has anyone ever had one of these? I am looking at a 1990 with a 1995 Evinrude 2 stroke. I've heard good things about the hull's durability and the engine, but also heard that they don't ride all that well. I will be using it mostly for the lake, river, & inshore..so I am sure I will experience some chop.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've owned a few boats....having lived in Charleston, SC for several years.

IMO, the Boston Whaler Montauk is THE best boat I can think of......for fulfilling the requirements you describe.

They are outstanding boats.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
That is a good boat. I had a friend who had one for years and he beat the daylights out of that thing and it kept on going. I think they used to run the commercials back in the day where the guy chainsawed the boat in 1/2 while he was standing on it and neither side sank.

Thanks for the info fellas. I think it will be a good boat for what i'm trying to do with it. People sure are proud of them though! $$$

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The BW Montauk 17 is one of the best boats ever made, but does fish small on the inside. No hidden storage for the battery, gas tank, etc. The tri-hull is why it has a reputation for riding rough, but that is also true of any other boat the same size with the same hull design. They are very cool boats, and extremely well made, and the resale prices confirm that.

I've heard that about the trihull... I wouldn't think it would ride any worse than a true flat bottom though. They do seem pretty bullet proof, hopefully I can say the same about the motor..going to check it out this weekend.

Harpoon

Unless you like the boat you can find a much better deal on CC for a lot less money.

Most don't need all of the high dollar options like the finished inner liner, SS and wood trim.

You can find a more modern hull, fishing boat for less money. Look at MayCraft (Smithfield made or was), older C Hawks (Bailey made and not Sea Hawk), Carolina Skiff with new hull design, to name a few.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I wouldn't think it would ride any worse than a true flat bottom though.
The 'rougher ride' comparison was not between a flat hull and a trihull, but between a trihull and a true or modified V. Worst will be the flat bottom, trihull will be better than that, modified V will be next best, and best will be true V. But there are other trade offs as well for each of those hull designs.

That boat probably won't give you many problems, but beware of a 20 year old outboard.

I wasn't really searching for a BW, but a guy at work wants to sell it, and for a lot less than I see others going for. I do like the MayCrafts and C Hawks..if this one falls through I'll definitely be looking for something in that class.

Harpoon

Yes, Kenneth May and Co knows how to build boats.

I bought his personal stripper boat: a 23 C Hawk back in early 90s or so. That was a nice boat for the money, but I think the May Crafts are nicer (fishing), imo.

I've been through his factory a few times a while back, saw the mfg process...... interesting place to visit.

Last edited:
Nice man..i bet that was a solid boat.

My dad had a 21' Maycraft in the 90s and he loved it. I'd like to check out that factory sometime...

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
Yes, Kenneth May and Co knows how to build boats.

I bought his personal stripper boat

Please elaborate :cool:. He must be loaded to have a boat just for that. Probably single too.

Where is the pole attached? I guess you can use the casting deck as a stage.

2boyz

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The BW Montauk 17 is one of the best boats ever made, but does fish small on the inside. No hidden storage for the battery, gas tank, etc. The tri-hull is why it has a reputation for riding rough, but that is also true of any other boat the same size with the same hull design. They are very cool boats, and extremely well made, and the resale prices confirm that.

^^^ Note the "does fish small on the inside". Good boat but minimal storage.

Harpoon

Please elaborate :cool:. He must be loaded to have a boat just for that. Probably single too.

Where is the pole attached? I guess you can use the casting deck as a stage.

Lol...whoops.

No VIP room on a 23 though....lol.