Reloading 308

ridenismo

Six Pointer
Saw the post about reloading shotshells and was interested to know how many of you guys on here reload your own rifle rounds. Ive been reloading shotshells for a while but am 80% of the way into being set up for rifle. All I need is a case trimmer and a brass tumbler and ive got teh whole shebang including bullets, brass, primers and powder. Primarily loading for my AR10 to see just how good of accuracy i can get out of it. My recipe plan so far goes as follows:

-175gr Sierra HPBT Matchking
-Reloader 15 powder (got to work into the right amount)
-CCI BR2 primers

What have some of you guys worked up for 308?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
depending on the twist rate on that AR10 I wouldn't fall in love with that weight sierra till you shoot it,,,,,,might want to try the 155s as well

but then I like the 175 grain lake city match,,,,,,,

have fun

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
I shoot an X-bolt and not an AR 10 so my dimensions and recipe will vary greatly from yours but woodmoose made a great point about matching the projectile weight to the twist rate of the barrel. I read an article in G&A mag a few months back about reloading .308 for AR's and the COAL was a major part of the subject. In order for the rounds to fit in the mag and properly feed the COAL may have to be somewhat shorter than typical SAAMI specs of 2.800" and lighter projectiles being shorter typically fit the bill. Normally one wants to back the bullet .002" to .004' from the lands for more accuracy but with the reduced room in an AR style mag this may difficult to do depending upon the projectile.

For your AR where you will possibly put many rounds downrange you might look at the Hogdon CFE 223 powder as it all but eliminates copper fowling and even removes existing fowling in barrels. Ballistics are very good (similar to Varget loadings) and it isn't that much more expense too load with and you will have much less time invested to remove stubborn copper residue from the bore. Hodgon's website has information on recipes with the powder.

Tunanut

Ten Pointer
I shoot an X-bolt and not an AR 10 so my dimensions and recipe will vary greatly from yours but woodmoose made a great point about matching the projectile weight to the twist rate of the barrel. I read an article in G&A mag a few months back about reloading .308 for AR's and the COAL was a major part of the subject. In order for the rounds to fit in the mag and properly feed the COAL may have to be somewhat shorter than typical SAAMI specs of 2.800" and lighter projectiles being shorter typically fit the bill. Normally one wants to back the bullet .002" to .004' from the lands for more accuracy but with the reduced room in an AR style mag this may difficult to do depending upon the projectile.

For your AR where you will possibly put many rounds downrange you might look at the Hogdon CFE 223 powder as it all but eliminates copper fowling and even removes existing fowling in barrels. Ballistics are very good (similar to Varget loadings) and it isn't that much more expense too load with and you will have much less time invested to remove stubborn copper residue from the bore. Hodgon's website has information on recipes with the powder.

Exactly why I asked about COAL, my bolt rifle shoots 2.80" and AR likes 2.635". I can not use my bench rifle rounds in my AR, I have to seat the bullets .0165 further in to not be jammed into the lands of the AR. The throat is that much shorter in the AR than my bench rifles. YRMV

deerhunter28

Ten Pointer
What's your COAL? Are you shooting them out of an AR10?

No a custom Savage bolt gun.
I don't know COAL.
I use a bullet comparator and measure the ogive length.
I shoot a lot of SMK's and these bullets can vary in actual length by as much as 10 1000's.
I use the modified case insert case and bullet in chamber find lands then back off .020.
I do measure all bullets.

PSE EVO 60 Lbs.
Blacked out

Last edited:

ridenismo

Six Pointer
Im planning on actually loading rounds up in 2 weeks with the help of a buddy whose been reloading for a while. He has the gauge that you insert a bullet in an empty case then put it in the chamber to find the lands, he recommended 20 thousandths off the lands as well.

My barrel has had exactly 220 rounds through it, its a 1 in 10 twist 18 inch JP barrel. I dont plan on burning 1000's of rounds out of this gun, its my hunting gun first and foremost. From me e searching AR10 loads it seems my twist rate should be able to stabilize 175gr bullets, I hope.

I based my load primarily off the fact that the AR10 "sniper" rounds (M118R) use 175 grainers and reloader 15 based powder... At least thats what ive read.

Tunanut

Ten Pointer
RL15/175SMK is a proven winner and your 1:10 will shoot the 175's just fine, but if you're using the rifle for hunting, might I suggest the 165 Sierra HPBT GameKing. Although some do, Matchkings are not recommended for hunting. The SGK is possibly the best value in hunting bullets. You get match quality performance with the expansion you need for hunting. 20 thousandths is a good number for an AR. I sent about 50 SGK's downrange out of my AR yesterday at steels out to 500 yrds. I only have a 4X scope, but had no problem popping that 500 yrd steel. Can't say enough good things about the SGK.

ridenismo

Six Pointer
I should have added that by hunting i meant coyotes, dont do much deer hunting, if any. Ive shot out to 600 with this gun while getting my 220 rounds through it with surprising performance for factory loads. Looking forward to bringing down the group sizes though.

big bore bob

Eight Pointer
My go to load is 150 grain nosler boat tail with 48.5 gr of Win 748, it gives me MV of appx 2865 with a lower cup pressure of 48, 000.
I like varget, but too much cup pressure for me, even had some primers blow out using varget in my AR.
If 150 grain at 2865 fps won't kill a yote, I can't imagine what it would take to kill it.
With the AR start with lighter loads then work it up as AR's are finicky about their ammo as far as cycling and accuracy are concerned. Yotes are pretty easy to kill, you just have to hit them.