$2.00 a Gallon Gas?

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This morning it was $2.19 at the place where I get my Sunday paper, just off of I-85. It always seems to be higher near the Interstate Hwys. Just 15 minutes up the road in VA its .30 cents less.

LeGrande

Its all good and I'm all for the low gas prices. But I have to ask myself, what will it be per gallon say six months from now? Or maybe a year ? I have heard rumors about the highest gas per gallon we have ever seen when it does go back up, I hope its just rumors..

It will go back up in about 6 months. Saudi Arabia lowered their price per barrel to under $60 to crush a few competitors. Once those competitors go bankrupt in about 6 months Saudi Arabia will raise their prices again.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
It will go back up in about 6 months. Saudi Arabia lowered their price per barrel to under $60 to crush a few competitors. Once those competitors go bankrupt in about 6 months Saudi Arabia will raise their prices again.

Saudi Arabia doesn't set the market price for oil so the price it sells at is not something they directly control. One could argue that they and OPEC use to control the price since they controlled the majority of oil flow but they no longer have that capability. The Saudis just understand that this is the new normal with all the shale oil systems finally getting oil up and to market thus removing their ability to control price with production. So they are going to not drop production since they would lose that market share to someone else since there are companies that can take up the slack, so basically if the Saudis don't get that money someone else will so the Saudis figure they are better off just to keep production the same.

Oil is $46 a barrel today and it wont go much lower, shale oil overall is more expensive to get up out of the ground thus it will never be affordable for those companies to let oil get to low so it will rebound some. Also as the price stays low and we get towards spring etc there will be a increase in demand as people start driving more since it is more affordable, I know I didn't go to the beach nearly as much as normal the last few years since it was $50-$75 bucks in gas every trip.....now I can go to the beach and back on $25 bucks. However this increase is driving will also increase the price as demand goes up, but its doubtful it gets to $3.00 again, gas around $2.25-$2.75 should be the high side of gas and I saw gasbuddy.com had there prediction of $2.64 being the average price for gas in 2015.

bigjim

So when is the price of motor oil going to come down? Need to change the oil in 4 tractors and two trucks. Been putting it off waiting for oil to bottom out.

LeGrande

Saudi Arabia doesn't set the market price for oil so the price it sells at is not something they directly control. One could argue that they and OPEC use to control the price since they controlled the majority of oil flow but they no longer have that capability. The Saudis just understand that this is the new normal with all the shale oil systems finally getting oil up and to market thus removing their ability to control price with production. So they are going to not drop production since they would lose that market share to someone else since there are companies that can take up the slack, so basically if the Saudis don't get that money someone else will so the Saudis figure they are better off just to keep production the same.

Oil is $46 a barrel today and it wont go much lower, shale oil overall is more expensive to get up out of the ground thus it will never be affordable for those companies to let oil get to low so it will rebound some. Also as the price stays low and we get towards spring etc there will be a increase in demand as people start driving more since it is more affordable, I know I didn't go to the beach nearly as much as normal the last few years since it was $50-$75 bucks in gas every trip.....now I can go to the beach and back on $25 bucks. However this increase is driving will also increase the price as demand goes up, but its doubtful it gets to $3.00 again, gas around $2.25-$2.75 should be the high side of gas and I saw gasbuddy.com had there prediction of $2.64 being the average price for gas in 2015.

You may be right brother. However, I received a classified brief this week stating something different.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
You may be right brother. However, I received a classified brief this week stating something different.

Well I guess anything can happen, I just am privy to the talking heads on the internet and I don't have any ummm classified sources..... the part I bolded made me LOL what's the point of saying that if you don't plan to elaborate.

EGrdneck

Well you implied everything lol...I for one enjoy the low prices with a kid on the way

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
It's almost down to when I started driving, and was complaining about how high it was because of the first gulf war.

mekanizm

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I tend to think that the US and the Saudis have colluded to drop the bottom out of oil in order to impart financial havoc on Russia, Iran, Syria and a few other of the oil funded bad guys.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I tend to think that the US and the Saudis have colluded to drop the bottom out of oil in order to impart financial havoc on Russia, Iran, Syria and a few other of the oil funded bad guys.

If that was the plan it has worked on Russia and Iran isn't far behind.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
$1.99 here in Greensboro and filled up for $1.85 in Ridgeway coming back from the lease. I try to have an empty tank when I go up there. 30 gallons pays for half my gas usage on the trek!

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
I wonder how many on here really think fuel is going to stay at this price, not many I'm sure but it isn't ...I know we are really lucky in America that gas isn't 6 bucks or more per gallon, in some countries it is and has been for quite some time now...Most of us will feel the pinch again for gas when this is over..

lutz40

Four Pointer
Got gas in Tennessee over the weekend @ $1.88 per gallon. Felt like I was stealing. Sad that we've been brainwashed into thinking this is cheap.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns

There may be some truth to this, it also helps strengthen our dollar which also helps lower the price.... the reality is once the USA started pulling up the shale oil a few years back we started down a path that took away the ability of OPEC to dictate price by controlling the oil flow from the middle east. The only reason prices will creep up now is that demand will increase now that it is cheaper and the US might roll back production to prevent the price going to low as it would hurt the economy since a large part of the recovery we are in is based in the energy sector primarily oil. In the end it is more expensive for oil companies to get the shale oil out of the ground so prices under $2.00 are temporary but there is no real reason for prices to get back to or above $3 anytime in the next few years at least, I would think it will float between $2.25 and $2.75 for the next few years based on everything I have read and seen concerning the drop in oil.

Harpoon

^ good points.

Looks like the US has been trying to wean off some mid eastern oil revenue dependent countries for some time.

I suspect they will keep a few propped up for security/reserve reasons, other than that.....its going to be a rude awakening for some who have lived high on the hog off high oil revenues.

Many of these young nationals connected to "house of fams" have never worked and lived off oil profits...imagine the rude awakening they will have and who they blame.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
With the US and Canada having more oil, and producing more crude than both of us can use and even more untouched reserves that never get brought up..why does everyone think that the 4% we get from the OPEC countries gives them the upper hand in fixing prices ?
Guess what ? IT DOESN'T....politics and military strategy are the only reason for having such a relationship with those countries. Gas prices and reserves are the direct result of Big Money, it's always been that way, and will continue to be that way.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

Folks that do really get the classified information dont typically go to public message forums and announce it. Lol, he's probably in the service and heard a rumor or has a buddy thats a security guard at some oil company.