American Sniper Movie

Bar3006

Ten Pointer
I'm sure there is a thread already on here about it.
Just wondering how many others have seen it and what your thought are.

I thought it was excellent in almost every detail. except the scene where he was deer hunting with his dad and the wood was GREEN like spring Turkey hunting. Guess Clint was more concerned about the war parts than the season being incorrect with deer hunting.

Just mu 2cents worth. other than that it was a 10 plus.

Bar3006

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Saw it, loved it...I read the book and of course the movie was very similar except I don't remember the part of him having an obsession about their sniper and taking him out...That is in the Carlos Hathcock book though so they might have added it to add to the drama...

smith-n-stokes

Old Mossy Horns
I noticed that too🔼. I'm sure a lot more of us hunters did as well.

Still thought it was a good movie overall. 👍

Sent from wherever I was at the time...

Briargoat

Ten Pointer
Let me start off by saying Chris Kyle is a true hero in every sense of the word and I'm a big fan of the book.

With that said, I thought the movie was good, not great. A lot people saying it's the greatest movie they've ever seen. Just my opinion, and it's definitely worth seeing but I was a little let down after all the hype

My big problem with it was it made his tours in Iraq a little too over simplified. The movie basically has him chasing around the butcher and then this Olympic sniper the whole time. That's not how it was in the book. I wished it would have gone in too more depth about his tours. And it left out the beach ball event! Really Clint????

If someone hasn't seen it, they should or read the book because he was a hero and needs to be celebrated

brittonp83

Six Pointer
Leaving out the beach ball event was my biggest gripe too!!!! My wife looked at me like I was crazy when that was the first thing outta my mouth at the end of the movie.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't think they detailed exactly what a special forces sniper really has to go through (training). While I liked the movie, I felt that part was almost trivialized.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We went and saw it on Saturday. I thought it was very good. It presented multiple facets of the conflict. Both the physical conflict and emotional conflict, overseas and at home.

I too thought the hunting scene (especially the first) was poorly done. The dead deer was (poor) CGI. You know Hollywood though - you can show graphic images of many people getting shot with the most realistic detail, but you can't show a dead deer.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I thought it was a good movie, but personally I didn't think it was anything great.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't think they detailed exactly what a special forces sniper really has to go through (training). While I liked the movie, I felt that part was almost trivialized.
Probably didn't since he was a SEAL sniper, their school is quite different.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Probably didn't since he was a SEAL sniper, their school is quite different.

Lol.......

That makes it all clear, now. The movie was perfect!

I felt they trivialized his training. Care to pick that nit?

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
,,,,,,,,, Care to pick that nit?

it's not a "nit",,,,,,,he merely clarified a point for you that you had in error,,,,,,SEAL does not equal Special Forces,,,,yes both are part of the United States Special Operations Command but they are different military organizations in different military services,,,,,each with it's own fine sniper training,,,,,,,,

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The point was....... WHICHEVER branch ........ They did a poor job of detailing the level of training (IMO).

The actual branch was not important.

Imagine I said he drowned in a sea ........the Caspian Sea.

"But the Caspian Sea is a lake"!!!! <<<<<<<< nit

Last edited:

VikingsFan8178

I loved the movie and the book -- but I wish the movie had stayed true to the book.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
The point was....... WHICHEVER branch ........ They did a poor job of detailing the level of training (IMO).

The actual branch was not important.

Imagine I said he drowned in a sea ........the Caspian Sea.

"But the Caspian Sea is a lake"!!!! <<<<<<<< nit

have no idea on the movie coverage of training,,,,haven't seen it and don't really plan to,,,,,,,,,

and your attempt at an analogy failed Sir,,,,,,,just admit you were wrong and don't understand the military;)

ArmyMutt

Eight Pointer
I thought the movie kinda sucked. I about fell asleep during the first 20 minutes. It was billed as an action movie. Instead, we got a whole bunch of relationship drama. The book was much better. It's been a while since I read it, but I don't recall him ever mentioning a little phone sex with an Iridium while outside the wire. If you haven't seen it, save your money and wait for the DVD to hit RedBox.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Never read the book but saw the movie Saturday. I guess knowing Kyle was gonna play himself before his murder and hearing several guys that served over there or knew Kyle say it was about as real as it gets when it comes to cooper portraying Kyle, that made me appreciate the movie even more. I really liked it.

Puppy Creek

In reference to the Michael Moore quote-
Bryan Sikes is a Green Beret Sniper and has voiced his opinion in a very public letter to Michael Moore that has now gone viral, per Bro Bible. The response Sikes has received from the general public regarding his letter lets us all know that Michael Moore&#8217;s opinions are not worth much.

&#8220;Mr. Moore &#8212;

Good afternoon there sweetheart, I hope this finds you alive and well. You can thank our men and women of the armed forces for that, by the way, and that also includes us cowardly snipers. It seems you&#8217;ve found time between licking the jelly off your fingers and releasing your grasp of a bear claw to tweet some junk about snipers being cowards.

My buddies and I got a good laugh over the tweet, so I thank you. For a guy worth $50 million dollars, you sure have quite a bit to bitch and cry about. I guess like a moth to flame, you too gravitate towards things that are popular and in the moment &#8212; in this case it&#8217;s snipers. Too bad for you that your attempt at being relevant via your 70+ year old family experience has failed. It has only made you look dumber than a bag of hammers. Next time you should try something more original than going after snipers for one reason or another&#8230;that was so last month.

It&#8217;s typical of &#8220;men&#8221; like you to criticize the intestinal fortitude, focus, discipline and patriotism of a sniper. It must stem from an inferiority complex or something. But hey, it&#8217;s okay cupcake. We snipers are thick skinned and the efforts of world class turds such as yourself to portray us in a negative light only makes us laugh. If you and I were in the same room, I&#8217;d throw you a smile and gently pat you on the head knowing you&#8217;re nothing more than a mouth breathing, Crisco sweating waste of space not even worthy of being in the presence of a sniper. It&#8217;s almost funny how people like you preach things like &#8216;acceptance&#8217; and &#8216;not passing judgement&#8217; or &#8216;labeling people&#8217;, but then are the first to do so when a person is in some way dissimilar from you.

So tenderfoot, I leave you with this final thought: what if you found yourself in some sort of hostage situation where you were held at knife-point by some crazed person and they were dead set on making an example of you by bleeding you out on Hollywood Blvd in front of the world, and the only way out was with the precision aimed fire of a sniper? Would you want that coward to take the shot? Because knowing how you feel about snipers such as myself and your hatred of firearms, I&#8217;d probably drop the mag, roll the bolt and go get a Jack & Coke before helping you out.

Very Respectfully,
Sikes&#8221;

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/1784159/hero-sniper-puts-michael-moore-in-his-place/#vAlLPJZC0VEUvam7.99

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
^^^^^^I Like this^^^^^^^^

But I disagree completely with hoping this finds him alive and well. Moore isn't worthy of the air he breathes.

Last edited:

Cainsable

I like it, MM is such an :donk:donk:donk he does not even realize that because of guys like sikes,Kyle and many others he has freedom of speech, send his but to the west and see how that works out.

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
My wife and I finally went to see the movie yesterday. As everyone has said, it was a great movie. During the credits, I had a lump in my throat and felt a tear trying to work it's way out. But what almost put me over the edge was, during the credits there was an elderly man, off to the side in the darkness of the theater, who no doubt was a veteran by his apparel, stood saluting and wiping tears throughout the credits. I couldn't look directly at him or I would have lost it! I'll remember that gentleman as long as I remember the movie!

Last edited:

Puppy Creek

Three movies that made me tear up-
1. Blackhawk Down
2. The Breakfast Club
3. American Sniper

For those of you that disagree with number two, go ahead and watch it again.