Best bait to attract / trap a possum ??

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Have a possum that gets up into my bird feeders at night.
( no predator guards as most are good sized tree trunks I've stood up for a more naturel look )
Can't shoot it at night, and most particularly horizontal when its up a few feet off the ground.
So I'm going to set out a Hav-A-Hart trap and take care of business afterwards.

Was wondering what bait would be best to attract a possum into the trap instead of it climbing a tree trunk feeder?

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
honey bun from gas station. Gets them every time.
I put mine in a small suet-cake holder that you get from lowes.
Stick the bun in the suet holder and run a piece of wire down into the ground from the top.

The critters cant get their paws through the wire and have to come inside the trap to get at it.

Works like a charm.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
sardines or salmon are great at attracting these critters, as well as other less desirable varmints that may or may not belong to your neighbors. Just pop open a can, pour a dash of the oil around the entrance of the trap, and wire or zip tie the can to the back of the trap. You'll have the varmint in the morning.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
yep, a piece of apple like jcannon said works well. But actually they will eat most anything they usually love bread too.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Knock on wood, have never smelled skunk living here for 28 years.
And the possum comes up every night...I can tell first thing every morning that its been there and have only ever seen the one.
So I'm assuming / hoping this will just be a short lived event...no pun intended.
And if I get one, I'll know immediately on a daily basis if another one is coming.

Trap will be here tomorrow, picking up a couple cans of sardines when we get a few groceries tomorrow as well.
If everything works out, I should have the trap in place for tomorrow night...

Again, thanks for the replies about sardines, cat food, etc.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Pile of chicken guts.:) Just thought I'd throw in something different. I think Tractor Supply sells two sizes of traps for humane capture