Rabbit Box Trapping

Briargoat

Ten Pointer
Anybody been successful with the boxes and have any tips they wouldn't mind sharing? I have a few and want to do a little trapping.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just about past the time to have much luck catching them. From Nov through middle Jan is about it. You will get a few stragglers anytime but that is the optimum time.

Southside

Ten Pointer
I used to do this with homemade wooden boxes as a kid. Would wait until night time to check the boxes. That way I could sneak a smoke. Never had much luck with the rabbits. Always caught more opossums. Rabbit boxes are a fun thing to do though.

nc rabbit hunter

Find where theye are feeding at nite.Put a few drops of rabbit trail in it or rabbit urine.Place it where you know they are, not where you think.If you haven't gotten one in 3 nites move the box.Keep the boxes moving!!! Once you catch a rabbit the box will keep on catching.They go in the box for curiosity and security.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Not that this matters but I like havaharts better than Box traps when using bait as with the 2A size the rabbit sees the other end open but one year I was having a hard time trapping them in both types of traps and i was checking them and I saw one of my box trap doors down. I was like yes! thank you! then i thought as approaching it that "please dont let it be a possum"...I tilt the front end of the trap up and I feel weight in there. awesome! I slowly pull the door up slightly to look and I :donk:donk:donk:donk you not I am looking face to face with a skunk!........He would not come out of that trap and ended up spraying inside of it..... I left it there a few days and came back and set it....

Last edited:

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
Not that this matters but I like havaharts better than Box traps when using bait as with the 2A size the rabbit sees the other end open but one year I was having a hard time trapping them in both types of traps and i was checking them and I saw one of my box trap doors down. I was like yes! thank you! then i thought as approaching it that "please dont let it be a possum"...I tilt the front end of the trap up and I feel weight in there. awesome! I slowly pull the door up slightly to look and I :donk:donk:donk:donk you not I am looking face to face with a skunk!........He would not come out of that trap and ended up spraying inside of it..... I left it there a few days and came back and set it....

I did that once and the old opossum had turned himself around in the box. Still haven't figured out how it did that. It had crapped or vomited all in the box. Never did catch another rabbit in that particular box.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Used to have several wooden boxes. The best bait I found was turnips. I'd cut one in half and rub it on the entry. The cut other half in pieces and throw it in the back of the trap.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to burn them out if you catch a possum.

Also, there is a better time to catch them than Nov-January but I can't say how I know :D

bigjim

Caught my share of rabbits in dirt hole sets using fox urine. Don't know why.

Last edited:

nc rabbit hunter

Me too.I think they come to the salt.You thru with the canines?

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Use to do a lot of wooden box taps. I'd set some along the fields and some back in the woods along trails. Havent' done any in years.

bigjim

Me too.I think they come to the salt.You thru with the canines?
No but I will be splitting and hauling firewood most of the weekend so I will not have time to set any traps. You can set the boxes or hunt with dogs anytime. I hope to set them back a few more times before the season goes out. I have to fix a washed out place in the road also. Everytime there is a wastwater overflow it washes over the road. How much did was the fine last time?

nc rabbit hunter

Ill call u.I can bring the boxes and set tomorrow afternoon and leave till Sunday.Ill leave them longer if ur at the farm to see them Mon and Tuesday.If no catches me and u can try em one nice day.I bet that swamp is full.

Crappie man

Six Pointer
Caught 2 in last couple weeks one with just vanilla extract and the other with turnip.No luck with the boxes set with apple.