68 acres of Longleaf to be Planted at Jordan

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
I think the increased cost is due to specialized herbicide applications and the high tree per acre rate (800 TPA).

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I'd say the price is not too bad for what the contract specifies. Containerized trees at a high tpa hardwood species and the multiple applications of herbicides.
I planted some longleaf for a guy on a graded lot and ( less than an acre) and they pulled through the first growing season really well. His neighbor has about 2-3 acres that are around 50 years old and are as pretty as any longleaf in the state. We are a few hundred miles out of the native range, but they grow pretty well here.

Last edited:

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
That seems a bit high to me for longleaf, since its so poor at growing with much competition.

It's not bad for an initial planting. They'll thin it in a few years. Longleaf grows really well, especially on good sites, contrary to popular belief.

deerslyr30-06

Old Mossy Horns
It's not bad for an initial planting. They'll thin it in a few years. Longleaf grows really well, especially on good sites, contrary to popular belief.

Yes, but that's if it is exposed to good mineral soil. Longleaf has that stereotype because of the grass stage. Once it comes out, it grows pretty quick.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Yes, but that's if it is exposed to good mineral soil. Longleaf has that stereotype because of the grass stage. Once it comes out, it grows pretty quick.

Yep. Folks are used to only seeing longleaf in the Sandhills where the soil is so poor that longleaf is the only thing that will grow. On a good site where it can get that taproot developed it grows almost as fast as loblolly, with better quality timber.

deerslyr30-06

Old Mossy Horns
Longleaf is my favorite tree species. I'll be planting some next year once I get time to site prep and plant next january.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep. Folks are used to only seeing longleaf in the Sandhills where the soil is so poor that longleaf is the only thing that will grow. On a good site where it can get that taproot developed it grows almost as fast as loblolly, with better quality timber.

You are right . Plenty of Longleafs still growing down here! I got maybe 6 mature longleaf pines still growing on our 43 acres here in Harnett. The place was covered in Longleaf pines back before World War I. My wife's great great grandfather would turpentine the trees back then. The stumps are still on our place with the turpentine grooves cut out.

Last edited:

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Longleaf is my favorite tree species. I'll be planting some next year once I get time to site prep and plant next january.

Short leaf slightly edges it out for me, with table-mountain coming in a close third. Those are my favorite pines, anyway.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
You are right . Plenty of Longleafs still growing down here! I got maybe 6 mature longleaf pines still growing on our 43 acres here in Harnett. The place was covered in Longleaf pines back before World War I. My wife's great great grandfather would turpentine the trees back then. The stumps are still on our place with the turpentine grooves cut out.

If you know what to look for you can still find old tap trees on Holly Shelter. Cool stuff :)

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
State champion Longleaf is within sight of Highway 220 in northern Montgomery County. Seen some growing in rock outcroppings in the northern part of the Uwharries. Always nice to find a few trees on the edge of it's historic range.

deerslyr30-06

Old Mossy Horns
I have seen some old standing trees on the Croatan that have notches cut in them for collecting resin. We cored the trees, and the thing was so old we couldnt get an accurate core because it was rotting in the middle.

I would also say that those giant black cherrys up in the mountains are cool to see.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Longleaf is my favorite but a big shortleaf and a Bull loblolly are pretty close......

First 2 pictures are a Loblolly on the Haw about 30 miles above Jordan.....there is an eagle nest in it Bigger than a volkswagon

2nd 2 pictures is a Loblolly off of an isolated area of Jordan that also have a big eagle nest in it. Those eagles luv big loblollies about 50 yds to 100 yards off the water

The eagles had finished nesting in both fyi and both of these trees are within a few feet of 120' ..I use an angle finder with a piece of pipe and when you are at the distance looking through the pipe at a 45 deg angle then the height is the Bottom of the triangle.....you need to be almost on the ground instead of standing to get an accurate height.

DSCF2430.jpgDSCF2431.jpg SDC10738.jpgSDC10740.jpg

Last edited:

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I really like longleaf after working in the Sandhills and around Aiken sc for a few years. But I'll have to say shortleaf is my favorite. Both a neat due to their fire tolerance at young ages, with longleaf being more so. But young shortleaf can take a good bit of heat early on, and even resprout from the stump. Loblolly is ok,but after planting 9-10,000 acres of them they get kinda boring.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Here is one of the last stands in Wake co......you can see a few right off us1 near the wake chatham line if you look real real hard admong the loblollies....you can also see a few along the belt line from us1 to Gorman. There maybe 5 total decent ones in that stretch .....The best one is if you are on 40 then take the Gorman exit back toward campus..go under the bridge and just a acouple hundred yards down on the left is one big flattop one just back off the road. There was also a nice stand along us64 east just before the neuse river but it got cut in the mid 90's.....
DSCF1036.jpg

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I have about 10 acres of long leaf,,,,4 that are near full grown and 6 that are 11 years old,,,,,,,,I like them,,,,wife not so much (she's a hardwood girl,,,,,,),,,,,

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Here is one of the last stands in Wake co......you can see a few right off us1 near the wake chatham line if you look real real hard admong the loblollies....you can also see a few along the belt line from us1 to Gorman. There maybe 5 total decent ones in that stretch .....The best one is if you are on 40 then take the Gorman exit back toward campus..go under the bridge and just a acouple hundred yards down on the left is one big flattop one just back off the road. There was also a nice stand along us64 east just before the neuse river but it got cut in the mid 90's.....
View attachment 43315

Have you ever been to Schenck Memorial forest in Raleigh? It's off of Reedy Creek Rd. past the Armory (if you're coming from Blue Ridge).

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Have you ever been to Schenck Memorial forest in Raleigh? It's off of Reedy Creek Rd. past the Armory (if you're coming from Blue Ridge).

I have been there numerous times ....That longleaf stand was planted by the forestry department at State years ago....The trees I am am talking about are survivors of native stands.....there may have been natives ones originally at Schenck but that stand was all planted by the forestry dept.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
I'd be surprised if any trees in Wake county are survivors of native stands, but there are some cool blocks in some of the current forests. Kind of like the cornrows in Umstead, lol.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I'd be surprised if any trees in Wake county are survivors of native stands, but there are some cool blocks in some of the current forests. Kind of like the cornrows in Umstead, lol.

There are a few survivors....take a look at that old flattop one on Gorman in the woods.....or course no one has cored it but i would bet it is over 200 years old....when they get that flattop you know they have some age on em....

deerslyr30-06

Old Mossy Horns
I believe I read the other day that the oldest longleaf found was over 400 years old....Oh the things a tree of that age has been around. If only they could talk and tell you what they had seen.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
There are a few survivors....take a look at that old flattop one on Gorman in the woods.....or course no one has cored it but i would bet it is over 200 years old....when they get that flattop you know they have some age on em....

I'll have to check that out next time I'm over there. Thanks :)

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Bunch of pine nuts lol

Yall ain't been up in a big old gnarly but oak or white oak. Big old American Elm has to be one of the greatest trees. Then there are those giant love oaks.

I like them big trees. They're find to climb around the tops of. The ascent, eh it can be taxing, but a big sprawling canopy to limb walk and crawl around in, awesome.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Bunch of pine nuts lol

Yall ain't been up in a big old gnarly but oak or white oak. Big old American Elm has to be one of the greatest trees. Then there are those giant love oaks.

I like them big trees. They're find to climb around the tops of. The ascent, eh it can be taxing, but a big sprawling canopy to limb walk and crawl around in, awesome.

I grew up around live oaks. Love them, too ;)

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Bunch of pine nuts lol

I like them big ole LIve oaks also, Bald Cypress is one of my favorites...planted 4000 of them at Jordan but beaver(oh no he said beaver) ate 90 percent of em.

Justin, wish you were closer, I need someone to climb a tall shortleaf in my yard to put an antenna in the top of it.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
I like them big ole LIve oaks also, Bald Cypress is one of my favorites...planted 4000 of them at Jordan but beaver(oh no he said beaver) ate 90 percent of em.

Justin, wish you were closer, I need someone to climb a tall shortleaf in my yard to put an antenna in the top of it.

I love a bald cypress, too. Have you seen the giant sequoia at Schenck forest?

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I love a bald cypress, too. Have you seen the giant sequoia at Schenck forest?

I Have not...tell me where it is and I will go ck it out....thanks Mack

I have seen the first?? Dawn redwood brought to america at Duke gardens. If it wasnt the first it was one of the originals...Never realized until i laid eyes on one that a dawn redwood looks almost Identical to a Bald cypress...and in china it is sometimes called the "water fir" it is so close to the cypress it is crazy

On dawn redwood the leaves are opposite of each other and the bald cypress they are even..........