Black Powder Squirrels

Greymule

Four Pointer
Here are a couple of squirrels I took with a muzzleloading shotgun awhile back. It adds a new twist to small game hunting. I used a T/C New Englander 12 gauge, 70 grains Goex FFg, one over powder card, 90 grains(appr. 1.25 oz.) #6 lead shot, one over shot card, and a CCI #11 cap. This gave me a decent pattern to 30yds. It took both squirrels cleanly at about 25 yards.

Attachments

• BPsq1.jpg
    BPsq1.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Greymule

Four Pointer
Thanks guys. Mr. Roundball has been a great inspiration to me on this forum because of all he has done with muzzleloaders. I always enjoy reading his posts as they are very informative. My goal is to one day have a custom .62 flintlock smoothbore that looks half as nice as the pictures of his are. I think this would be an ideal gun for all around hunting.

adkarcher

Six Pointer
Awesome. I have been out a couple of times this year with my T/C Renegade, .56 cal smoothbore. Of course, now that deer season is over squirrels are extinct. I plan on going Monday morning, have the day off. This gun is only good for maybe 20 yards. I have a New Englander as well and wishing I had bought the shotgun barrel for it years ago wen they were only 125.00 or so....

jim67

Eight Pointer
Thats cool! I was in a "squirrel hunting with a smoke-pole" phase for a while, but was looking for a LH 32 or 36 caliber kit, found out they are kinda hard to find, then decided to heck with it and just keep using the 22.

DaddyRat

Four Pointer
Thats cool! I was in a "squirrel hunting with a smoke-pole" phase for a while, but was looking for a LH 32 or 36 caliber kit, found out they are kinda hard to find, then decided to heck with it and just keep using the 22.

They are hard to find. Deer Creek had 2 LH 32 cal round ball guns. I got one and a buddy got the other. This has been years ago.

Greymule

Four Pointer
Dad has an old Thompson center .45 and it has a .36 caliber barrel as well. 9mm bullets?

I think T/C used to make the Seneca and Cherokee in .45, .36, and .32 caliber. A .350 roundball with a .015 lubed patch on 10 to 15 grains of FFFg
Black Powder might be good for squirrels in the .36 caliber barrel.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think T/C used to make the Seneca and Cherokee in .45, .36, and .32 caliber. A .350 roundball with a .015 lubed patch on 10 to 15 grains of FFFg
Black Powder might be good for squirrels in the .36 caliber barrel.

If I could find some bullets, I've thought of trying the .36 as a deer gun. I would think the bullet is small for a smoke pole, but it would also be faster than a .45 or .50

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I squirrel hunted a lot with a .45 cal caplock with patched roundballs,,,,,loved it,,,,,may try a .36 but .45 works find,,,,,,headshots mostly,,,,,eviscerated a couple as well,,,,,,,