Few ohio pictures

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
I went up to help my landowner out a week or so back. He bought 54 calves that he needed to bottle fed...so I went up to help him out getting them started. We lost one before I left..the day after I left..he lost 11. Now hes down to around 20..they been dieing like flies. When he called wanting some help..he told me there was some new bucks showing up. I said well cool..I still have a trail camera up. Here is a few pictures I had.

This first one is a doe jumping a fence. Neat picture since the camera caught her in mid air. Same place the buck I killed in late season jumped and I thought he landed in my lap one morning. Hunting around these fences has its advantages..when these deer jump..you know it..even though you might not of seen it..you will hear it.

Here is a couple bucks..lead buck is a regular but the other two are new. Pretty sure I seen the second one year before last but never seen him this year..could be a different buck too.

I have hopes of finding a matching set of sheds this year..its been on my bucket list..never found a matching set. Well I posted several times this past hunting season about trespassers...then I catch this guy on my camera...feel sure hes shed hunting. Burns me up that I shed hunted those pines on my way in to check this camera and on my way out to find his picture on my camera afterwards. I took several trail cameras with me to put out but after seeing this..wasnt about to leave more there.

Just felt like posting some pictures of what next year might hold.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Any idea why your friend is loosing so many calves? That many losses means to me at least that something just isn't right.

Nice deer cam captures.

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
When he called asking for help..he was suppose to get 94 calves...when I got there he said he was only getting 50 something. They was suppose to deliver between 4-5 oclock on saturday. They showed up at 9.30 that night...I warned him..I told him man if these calves dont look right...dont buy them just because I came up here to help you. I reminded him..he wanted to raise calves..not solve probelms. Well we unloaded them..had 4-5 that was sick..one was dead on the trailer. He ended up with 54 claves on saturday night. He didnt want to bottle feed them..he wanted to get them on a bucket that night, so it would make it easier on him feeding them when I left. They took to the bucket pretty good. Sunday we lost one. Monday they was doing pretty good, so I came home. Tuesday he said he had 11 dead that morning. There was some cover up going on with the guy who delivered them..these calves was sick and they knew it but jacked them up on medication to get them delivered. My bet is the other 40 died before they could deliver them..thats why he only got 54. The bad part is these claves exsposed his whole farm to something he hasnt had before...its now in some other calves that he had already weaned. There was 8 of them..now 7 are sick. He thinks he found a solution but its exspensive and a little too late. Ol boy works his arse off on that farm...I just hate to see him go through this. Yotes going to eat well off this but right now its so cold they cant eat the calves..he said they havent touched them yet. Suppose to get down to -12 this week. So yea something wasnt right..I'm not a farmer but I did enjoy working on his farm..always learning something.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
Cool pics...sounds like the calves didn't get the colostrum from their mothers that first few days,if not they'll get the scours and crap theirselves to death....for his older calves tell him to pick up some Aureomycin pellets and dose them by weight if they're scouring.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Cool couple of pics, one not so cool,

and a HORRIBLE story!!

Calf seller wasn't wildlife pro 51 was it?

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Coccidiosis is what hes saying these calves have. Hes down to 8 left. Yotes still havent started on the dead calves.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
Coccidiosis is what hes saying these calves have. Hes down to 8 left. Yotes still havent started on the dead calves.
Yes,coccidiosis is a gut issue...if he's down to 8 he should probably just start over with some healthy ones...also he could pick up some Amprol at the vet supply,might keep the rest alive.

Last edited:

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Yes,coccidiosis is a gut issue...if he's down to 8 he should probably just start over with some healthy ones...also he could pick up some Amprol at the vet supply,might keep the rest alive.

Hes down to 6 down..big lesson learned here. Hes been treating them with something(might be Amprol) but it was too little too late. Anyways he said the bucks are still wearing them antlers..seen 5 bucks running together the other day.

I was talking to another friend here in NC that raised a few calves this year...hes done good with his. He told me about somebody buying 13 at a sale...they lost 10 of them. I hope to someday buy me a few to play with but I will never buy them at a sale.

Here is a trail cameras picture of the buck I killed this year with muzzleloader.

Last edited:

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
I had a friend here in NC that bought a bunch of sick calves. There was some way that he was able to go back on the seller and was reimbursed. Hopefully your friend could do the same.

EGrdneck

Dextrose and neomycin...dextrose will gell their stomach and help with dehydration and neomycin will help the coccidiosis.... Colostrum related illness Gould result in death within 3-4 days of birth....