Is this guy kin to LarryR???

Dan in NC

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Rufus died Feb. 24, 1994. I remember watching that clip back in the 80's or 90's on on of the local TV channels.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
He was a local legend around here,made it on the Johnny Carson show and really hit it off with Carson...a give you the shirt off his back kind of guy,said he took a bean shooter with him in WWII.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Him and my grandfather were buddies and he even helped him build his house. I can remember when I was little going over to my grandparents and him and my grandfather would be sitting out in the front yard "chewin' tha fat".... He carried that beanshooter with him everywhere he went.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
He was a local legend around here,made it on the Johnny Carson show and really hit it off with Carson...a give you the shirt off his back kind of guy,said he took a bean shooter with him in WWII.

Yep! He used to come to elementary school and show off his skills. I still have one of his slingshots around here somewhere.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
He made my first beanshooter. One of my grandfathers was a Hussey. I learned everything from dressing chickens to hog killing to fishing to bird hunting to where the best white liquor was from that side of the family! :)

<>< Fish

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Would certainly liked to have met this gentleman. I used to shoot a slingshot but NOT EVEN CLOSE. LOL. I still have one but it's a "store bought" one. Haven't shot it in years. When I was a kid we used to go to a garnet mine to get garnets to use for shooting. We would come home with all four jean pockets full and if we had a jacket those pockets were full also. One time carried a peck bucket full in each hand to haul them home in. Like everywhere around where I live it's all straight up and down (that's why we all have one leg shorter than the other) and this mine is smack dab on the top of the ridge line. I think I might still have some in my stove room that we picked up shortly after I came back to NC and just never shot.

rodman

Ten Pointer
He use to come to my grandaddys store in Highfalls years ago.He was a freak of nature when it came to shooting a bean shooter....He was a good man.

highclimber

Old Mossy Horns
Reminds me, of when, me and my Parents, used to go camping, when I was a Kid. We were camping, around Advance, NC, years ago, at a place called Forest Lakes. The lake, was infested with Water Snakes. I was fishing the lake, met an older Gentleman, by the name of Gus, from Winston Salem. We were standing there Fishing/Talking, .......A Water Snake pops his head up, about 10 feet from the bank. He reaches in his pocket, and pulls out, a sling shot. This thing, was just the straps! No wood! He attached one strap to his thumb, and the other, to his index, and middle finger, reached in his pocket, got a rock out, and popped that snake, right in the head! And before the evening was over with, he popped 4 more! I never saw him miss. Fun Times when I was younger.

HC