Rifle decision time

Contenderv07

Six Pointer
I finally found a nice rifle at a good price, but I wanted to see what you all think..

Remington 700 SPS (7mm-08)(manufactured in 1997)
Leupold VX-II 3-9x40
80 rounds of Ammo (mix of Hornady and Winchester)
Hard case

$650...

The guy wants to meet in Charlotte, so it's a little drive but nothing too bad (just wants to do a FTF)

What I was PLANNING on doing was getting something like a Ruger American (or Savage Axis II), adding a Nikon Prostaff scope, and be done with it..
I've got the "ok" from the wife, but in all seriousness, I won't be shooting anything over 300 yards, so I won't have to have a sniper rifle lol

Let me know what you would do???

Last edited:

Ashy Larry

Ten Pointer
I would buy at that price. I have an axis but really it needs a boyd stock to be anywhere near as accurate as that SPS.

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
If you like a Remington and it is a "real" Leopold then it is a good deal,, of course as with any used rifle there could be issues

I really like a 7mm-08

hayco10

Eight Pointer
you can customize that gun with many upgrades, trigger, stock, bolt, etc. you may be spending more in the future!

hayco10

Eight Pointer
What is the round count? It may look new but if it's been shot a couple of hundred rounds a year then its "well broken in"

Contenderv07

Six Pointer
What is the round count? It may look new but if it's been shot a couple of hundred rounds a year then its "well broken in"
He said he had about 30 rounds through it, but from the serial he gave me, it was made in 1997... I'm trying to get more pics from him, to see if the trigger has been fixed by the recall

Contenderv07

Six Pointer
I really don't need that much ammo, and I think I can get a Ruger american for cheap and just spend about 250 for a good scope and be ok... It just makes me a little leery that he says only 30 or so rounds on it, and it made in 1997

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
The only thing odd to me is I don't believe the SPS existed until around 2005-2006 or later. Before that it was just the ADL, BDL, CDL, and various others like the Sendero, PSS, etc. If it's an SPS I don't think it can be a 1997 model.

Last edited:

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
I really don't need that much ammo, and I think I can get a Ruger american for cheap and just spend about 250 for a good scope and be ok... It just makes me a little leery that he says only 30 or so rounds on it, and it made in 1997

People buying guns they don't need but do want is very common. There are tens of thousands of deer rifles setting in safes in NC alone that have never been shot 50 times.

<>< Fish

Tony Hawkins

Eight Pointer
People buying guns they don't need but do want is very common. There are tens of thousands of deer rifles setting in safes in NC alone that have never been shot 50 times.

<>< Fish

That's right. I know guys who zeroed their rifle 15 years ago and haven't since; as long as they keep killing deer they hunt, shoot a couple deer each year, clean it, and put it in the safe until next season. That guy is probably estimating the round count by the number of deer he figures he's killed/shot at since 97.

Contenderv07

Six Pointer
The only thing odd to me is I don't believe the SPS existed until around 2005-2006 or later. Before that it was just the ADL, BDL, CDL, and various others like the Sendero, PSS, etc. If it's an SPS I don't think it can be a 1997 model.

I've got the serial number but the only site I can find, just gives you a date when it was manufactured, not the kind it is, so I don't know

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Id go with the Remington, not sure if the trigger is adjustable or not but should be pretty solid. I like savages but its hard to pass up the remington at that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns

But most people dont know that as they may not have the box and just look at the matte finish and a black plastic stock so they call it an SPS or ADL syn or BDL Syn

Johnny

I would get the Ruger American with the Redfield combo. Scopes have come a long way since 1997. A high end Simmons scope made by Meade Labs has much better glass, holds zero better and it is sealed better than a 1997 Leupold scope. The 1997 Leupold will have more durable adjustment knobs. The Ruger American is a better gun than a 1997 Remington 700. In the 1990's is when Remington gave up on building a good guns and was having teething pains in mass production.

You can get the Ruger American/Redfield combo for around $500. You will have $150 left to buy the ammo of your choice. The 7mm/08 is a good caliber if you reload. If you are buying ammo off the shelf you would do better with a more mainstream caliber. I bought 250 rounds of 165g SP 30/06 ammo 10 years ago for less than 8lbs of powder today.

Last edited:

Contenderv07

Six Pointer
I would get the Ruger American with the Redfield combo. Scopes have come a long way since 1997. A high end Simmons scope made by Meade Labs has much better glass, holds zero better and it is sealed better than a 1997 Leupold scope. The 1997 Leupold will have more durable adjustment knobs. The Ruger American is a better gun than a 1997 Remington 700. In the 1990's is when Remington gave up on building a good guns and was having teething pains in mass production.

You can get the Ruger American/Redfield combo for around $500. You will have $150 left to buy the ammo of your choice. The 7mm/08 is a good caliber if you reload. If you are buying ammo off the shelf you would do better with a more mainstream caliber. I bought 250 rounds of 165g SP 30/06 ammo 10 years ago for less than 8lbs of powder today.

this is what is keeping me... I could also get a HOWA for a little bit more and get a redfield revenge scope. So this guy doesn't have a clue what he has or he's trying to scam or something

Last edited:

OnslowDeerMan

Buy it and don't look back, can't go wrong with a 700. And 7mm-08 is a good all around caliber.

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
I'd be more worried about which rifle fits and feels the best. Which style of safety do you prefer,,,, for me only a 3 position tang will do,,,, triggers???? finish??? all that stuff is more important than a good deal

I had a remmy mnt rifle in 7mm-08, rifle felt great, shot great, looked great,,,,, but I quickly grew to hate the safety and trigger,,,,

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
I do like Remingtons. Call them and give them the serial and they can tell you exactly when it was made and what it is, and if the trigger has been replaced already. 7mm-08 will do a number on anything from foxes to elk, as will most anything if used within their limits. The American is a nice econo rifle. The tang safety is nice. It has more plastic parts than it should. Its a long action shooting a short action round. The action is fairly smooth, but does have a fair amount of slop in the bolt when it's open or working. The rear of the bolt has a plastic cap on it. The fore stock is a little flexible and can easily flex to touch the barrel, but will return to center when pressure is relieved. The box mag is of a nice rotary design, but I would prefer for it to be metal or solid plastic somehow. It has a decent mag release compared to other economy rifles. Overall it's a nice gun with a good feel and balance.
The remington is a more robust gun. You either love them or hate them. Defiantly a more solid feel without being too heavy. They are well balanced, and have nice lines. The bolt is very smooth with little to no wiggle. The new trigger that has been replaced is adjustable, as is the Ruger's. No removable mag to lose or break, but each round must be short cycled to unload the gun.
I have both and would prefer the remington over the ruger just for the feel of the gun and the metal parts. With hand loads my Remington shoots 1-1/4" and the Ruger American Compact shoots 3/4", both shooting the same load. The Remington could be tightened up if I wanted to keep two loads. I still will reach for the Winchester M70 Compact Featherweight 7mm-08 when I head out on nice days. If I'm going on a rougher hunt in the briars or an all day soak I alternate the other two.
Here is the heart of a doe from this past year after a 139 interlock that clipped it.
0829140a7d78a8622f67a4bf09d19933.jpg
4d09cac401da283141a9f3a970fe1a1c.jpg

Last edited:

gobblr addict

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The Taxidermist is right on.....Spot on! Remington is the better weapon, sounds like you are just trying to get out cheap.....I have the same gun you are looking at but in a .280Rem....There is nothing wrong with the trigger in that gun. That Leupold scope also even with the age is way better than a Redfield...And like you said, the guy doesn't know what he has and like someone else said, many guns set in safes for decades and not fired a box through them...JMO....btw, the gun most likely is a 700 Mt. Rifle....gobblr addict

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
What is the fellows contact info???

I've been wanting a 7mm-08, not worried about the age of the Leupold either as I have 3 in
the same age range...

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
What is the fellows contact info???

I've been wanting a 7mm-08, not worried about the age of the Leupold either as I have 3 in
the same age range...