Rifle decision time

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Shoot ive got a 25 year old vari 2x7 on my kids 30/30 that i used on my first deer gun in the early 90s. Even old leupolds are better than avg econo scopes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I'd buy the Remington and if I was worried about the trigger I would replace it.
I have several rifles I haven't shot more than 50 times so I wouldn't think he's lying about the round count.

If it is a SPS you could get one for approx $400, then $300 for the scope another $75 or so for the rings and base.
So $650 is honestly at the higher end for what I would pay.
I'm sure if you wait and look around more you could find something similar a little cheaper.

Last edited:

Johnny

Why buy a rifle you have to replace the trigger and stock before the thing is fit to shoot? It is best to buy a rifle that has a trigger and/or stock you want right out of the box. You can get a Weatherby for the same price as a Remington 700 and it guaranteed to shoot a sub one inch group with hunting ammo right out of the box. Other manufactures make a similar guarantee. The only guarantee Remington makes is you will have to spend a lot more money before the rifle is fit to shoot. Why is that such a great bargain?

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
Why buy a rifle you have to replace the trigger and stock before the thing is fit to shoot? It is best to buy a rifle that has a trigger and/or stock you want right out of the box. You can get a Weatherby for the same price as a Remington 700 and it guaranteed to shoot a sub one inch group with hunting ammo right out of the box. Other manufactures make a similar guarantee. The only guarantee Remington makes is you will have to spend a lot more money before the rifle is fit to shoot. Why is that such a great bargain?

See, you either love them or hate them.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns

Other than the SUB-MOA rifles wearing the Weatherby name but built by Howa in Japan what Weatherby is "guaranteed to shoot a sub one inch group with hunting ammo right out of the box"? The Mark series of Weatherby rifles claim 1.5" out of the box accuracy if I recall correctly.

Anyway talking merit about rifles is like talking merit about blondes, brunettes, red heads, single malt scotch vs. blended scotch and Fords vs. Chevys. Buy what you want or feels right for you.

<>< Fish

Last edited:

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
I've scoped, setup and adjusted the trigger on at least a dozen 700s through the years...Never had a problem with the trigger if done properly and never had one I couldn't get to group 1 1/4 inch or less at 100 yards with factory ammo...

Give me the fellows number, I'll buy it... :)

My brother has used a 7mm-08 since 1980, there isn't a better deer round out there...

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've scoped, setup and adjusted the trigger on at least a dozen 700s through the years...Never had a problem with the trigger if done properly and never had one I couldn't get to group 1 1/4 inch or less at 100 yards with factory ammo...

Give me the fellows number, I'll buy it... :)

My brother has used a 7mm-08 since 1980, there isn't a better deer round out there...

I love that last part.

Johnny

Other than the SUB-MOA rifles wearing the Weatherby name but built by Howa in Japan what Weatherby is "guaranteed to shoot a sub one inch group with hunting ammo right out of the box"? The Mark series of Weatherby rifles claim 1.5" out of the box accuracy if I recall correctly.

Anyway talking merit about rifles is like talking merit about blondes, brunettes, red heads, single malt scotch vs. blended scotch and Fords vs. Chevys. Buy what you want or feels right for you.

<>< Fish

How do you build a rifle that stands out from the crowd? Start with guaranteed SUB&#8209;MOA accuracy. Add in a match quality, two-stage trigger that breaks crisp and clean. Offer magnum and standard calibers in a choice of traditional wood, composite or exciting WBY-X camo stock designs. And do it all for less than you&#8217;d ever expect. That&#8217;s the Weatherby Vanguard...the best rifle value on the market today.
http://www.weatherby.com/products/rifles/vanguard.html

All Weatheerby rifles have a sub MOA guarantee. Where is your proof a Remington lasts longer than a Weatherby? I can prove every Remington 700 made in the last 8 years is under recall because the trigger group is unsafe. If you cannot prove it do not type it. I have two Weatherby rifles that are close to 40 years old that have never given me any trouble. How many Remington products do I own that have given me no trouble? None! Lets not forget the R51 pistol that was a total recall.

http://www.remington.com/pages/news...all-notice-remington-model700-modelseven.aspx

Howa makes parts for several American manufacturers not just Weatherby. Howa has produced a long line of civilian hunting and target practice rifles in a range of calibers. Howa manufactures components for other firearm companies such as Mossberg, Smith & Wesson, and Weatherby.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howa

Last edited:

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Why do some folks come on here and create an argument or run down people in every thread?

Buy and shoot what you want.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Why do some folks come on here and create an argument or run down people in every thread?

Buy and shoot what you want.

Already said once but bears a repeat

"Anyway talking merit about rifles is like talking merit about blondes, brunettes, red heads, single malt scotch vs. blended scotch and Fords vs. Chevys. Buy what you want or feels right for you."

<>< Fish

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I own several Remington guns that have never given me a seconds trouble. Never "had" to change anything on them either.
You can get a bad anything!
Howa makes nice guns, so does Savage, Browning, Tikka and several others.

Like others have said, buy what fits you.

Last edited:

Johnny

I own several Remington guns that have never given me a seconds trouble. Never "had" to change anything on them either.
You can get a bad anything!
Howa makes nice guns, so does Savage, Browning, Tikka and several others.

Like others have said, buy what fits you.

You never have to change any part, fixing a gun is always a choice. I have very nice Wingmaster 870SD (skeet tournament grade) with a target contour barrel in my safe I bought for $150 because the previous owner didn't "have to change" the interrupter. I looked in the receiver and saw the interrupter was indeed chipped. I told him the gun could be repaired. He replied "Do you want the gun?" I paid him and walked away with a smile.

I am not trying to interrupt the thread, others want to split hairs. My words can be twisted but if we are going to split hairs I am going to make it rough over the long haul.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
OK let me rephrase....I have never had to fix, modify, or add anything.
No need to get upset about it.....you obviously don't like Remington products and that's fine.
Different strokes for different folks...... But to imply that there all junk and need to be modified or repaired is complete bull crap.

Now go ahead and make it rough on me......whatever that means.

Last edited:

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
Get this train wreck back on the tracks. The OP mentioned the 700 sps or adl, Ruger American, Savage axis. None of these are top shelf guns, however the 770 would be a closer comparison to the others. All are capable of his sub 300 yd shots. Of the the above, I feel remington is the best choice. If one day he wanted to build it, he could get the most out of the remington because the others are not intended to be built upon. If you wanted to build on a ruger, you wouldn't get the American. Nor would you get the axis if you wanted to build a savage. Each have a better platform to build on.
As I said all will do what he wants. Out of them, the remington hands down.

Last edited:

Harpoon

Didnt they have a recall on these around that time frame?

I'd be checking into that first,

*You can buy a new Vari X II 3-9-40 for $299.

Optics Planet. ...

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
Latest recall covers about every remington since the first recall. They will replace all triggers with the X mark pro.

Johnny

If I wanted to build a rifle I would buy an action and build a rifle. Yes, you can buy a lot of stuff for a 700 and turn it into another rifle, but is this cost effective? When I buy a complete rifle I want to take it out of the box and go hunting. I do not give a damn about building the rifle. For the cost of a 700BDL I can buy a very nice F1 quality Savage barreled action and a Boyds stock. All I need from there is a trigger group and I have a rifle that you will have to spend another $700 or $800 on a Remington 700 to equal. I can do the same thing with a Howa action. Unless you can get a rifle dirt cheap rebuilding a rifle is not cost effective.

Your not really talking about what you can do with a Remington 700. You are talking about how much you can spend on Remington 700. I would rather have a quality rifle that works from day one, not after I spend enough to buy another rifle on it.

Last edited:

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
If I wanted to build a rifle I would buy an action and build a rifle. Yes, you can buy a lot of stuff for a 700 and turn it into another rifle, but is this cost effective? When I buy a complete rifle I want to take it out of the box and go hunting. I do not give a damn about building the rifle. For the cost of a 700BDL I can buy a very nice F1 quality Savage barreled action and a Boyds stock. All I need from there is a trigger group and I have a rifle that you will have to spend another $700 or $800 on a Remington 700 to equal. I can do the same thing with a Howa action. Unless you can get a rifle dirt cheap rebuilding a rifle is not cost effective.

Your not really talking about what you can do with a Remington 700. You are talking about how much you can spend on Remington 700. I would rather have a quality rifle that works from day one, not after I spend enough to buy another rifle on it.

Ok then. Of the ones the op mentioned which one should he get. You mentioned the American earlier. I have one of those. Great little gun, but given the chance of that or a Remington 700 at an equal price point, it's a 700 all day long.
No, the point is not to build a rifle. But of the ones that are in the budget the Remington is a more refined gun, and has more potential with more options. I could buy a lot of things for what I could spend on a BDL, but that is not apples to apples. Just like I said before, the 770 is a closer comparison to the American and Axis than is the 700.

Last edited:

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
In the end they all will be just fine. Any caliber if used within its limits, including the .223 and .22-250 will be plenty capable.

Johnny

Ok then. Of the ones the op mentioned which one should he get. You mentioned the American earlier. I have one of those. Great little gun, but given the chance of that or a Remington 700 at an equal price point, it's a 700 all day long.
No, the point is not to build a rifle. But of the ones that are in the budget the Remington is a more refined gun, and has more potential with more options. I could buy a lot of things for what I could spend on a BDL, but that is not apples to apples. Just like I said before, the 770 is a closer comparison to the American and Axis than is the 700.

But you are speaking in terms of a fantasy. You cannot get a Remington 700 for the same price as a Ruger American equipped with a capable Redfield scope. For the money a Ruger American is hard to beat. The 770 nor the Axis is on the same page with the American. We are talking about deer hunting, not down at the target range. If the 700 is so superior why did you buy a American for yourself? Lets be honest instead of talking in fantasy so you sound cool.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
But you are speaking in terms of a fantasy. You cannot get a Remington 700 for the same price as a Ruger American equipped with a capable Redfield scope. For the money a Ruger American is hard to beat. The 770 nor the Axis is on the same page with the American. We are talking about deer hunting, not down at the target range. If the 700 is so superior why did you buy a American for yourself? Lets be honest instead of talking in fantasy so you sound cool.

Since we're being honest. I bought my American Compact in a 7mm-08 for the kids I mentor. I usually try to take a kid or two each year that's never hunted or has little experience and share my enjoyment of the outdoors with them. I didn't have a proper rifle for a small framed person. Several deer have fallen to that rifle. A young girl killed a spike on her first trip out with the rifle this year. She rather enjoyed the experience and the fit if the gun. That is the sole reason I got the gun. Yes, to me it is a nicer feel than the 770 or Axis.
I liked the 7mm-08 myself so much, and was already hand loading for the American, that I wanted a full size model for myself. Dick's was running a sale, so I went and bought a brand new Remington 700 ADL in 7mm-08 with a kit scope. I got it for $328.32 out the door ( tax, title, and tags ). It now has Redfield Revenge on it. So, I guess the fantasy happened.
After having the 700 I decided I did like the compactness of the American Compact over the full size guns I've shot all my life. I wanted a nicer version of the compact for me to carry. I got the M70 Featherweight Compact in 7mm-08 over the Remington Model Seven. My first hunting rifle was a M70 pre '64 action .30-06. I am familiar and comfortable with the action and 3 position safety. The Featherweight has the same action and a nice grain, checkering, and flowing lines. I'm happy with my choice.
How do you feel about Winchesters?

Johnny

I have a Winchester and I really like it but since FN has taken over Winchester there are better bargains for the money. Honestly if I was to spend $1,000 on a deer rifle I would not get a bolt action. The BAR is a much more versatile rifle than the Winchester model 70. At one point I had 5 BARs and they all shot great. I do prefer the older BARs with iron sights and no freakin button to release the bolt. But I would buy a new BAR

PSA (Palmetto State Armory) has some damn nice 308 rifles for $700. They have a 20 shot capacity and a decent chrome lined barrel. I do not need 20 shots to kill a deer but I do not like ammo jingling in my pocket either. People complain about the medium length gas tube and the Key Mod but I want a deer rifle, not a rifle to shoot a 100 rounds in 30 minutes.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
I've been tossing around the idea of a replacement grip cap and trigger guard for the Winchesters. Should I have to modify a nearly $1000 rifle? No. Do I have to? No. But to make it my own and make it what I want, I might do it.
Sometimes I kick around the idea of something along the lines of a Ruger No.1 with a straight grip, thinned down forearm, and losing the hideousness of the chunks of steel they call iron sights that are on the newest versions.

Johnny

Is 8 shots your limit?

After that day the peashooter went into the safe, it has not been hunting since that day. I share my experience with everyone who touts the virtues of one of those damn peashooters too. A rifle that will not go through a deer at any angle is not a deer rifle (7.62x39). Yes, I was using Winchester soft point ammo. That was the best ammo you could get in the early 80s.

Does it matter if I shoot a deer 20 times? I am not some :donk:donk:donk hat that lets a deer run off for the buzzards to eat.

I've been tossing around the idea of a replacement grip cap and trigger guard for the Winchesters. Should I have to modify a nearly $1000 rifle? No. Do I have to? No. But to make it my own and make it what I want, I might do it.
Sometimes I kick around the idea of something along the lines of a Ruger No.1 with a straight grip, thinned down forearm, and losing the hideousness of the chunks of steel they call iron sights that are on the newest versions.

That is your business. But don't tell someone that is the best rifle you can buy because you feel the need to do all that to a rifle. Obviously that rifle aint so great.

Last edited:

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
Never said it was the best. I just like it. I said I was familiar and comfortable with it. I'll read back through the posts, but pretty sure I never said that.