Idiot Drivers! (Public Service Announcement)

crittergitter

Ten Pointer
I was on my way to work this morning in the 6-7" of snow we have here in High Point. I drive a Yukon Denali which is a very heavy vehicle. I have very little trouble in the snow if I cut off the traction control. Anyway I am headed down the main road to the water plant and I got passed by a Prius! I was doing 30 and this idiot must have been doing 50! Shortly after I got to work I hear the fire trucks sounding off in the direction that he was headed. I dont know if he had a wreck or it was something else. I have said all that to tell everyone to take your time. There is no job worth your life!

Briargoat

Ten Pointer
Yep, I swear as the snow falls so does people's IQs. We had a lot of accidents Tuesday and it wasn't that bad out. People just not being cautious at all

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
most likely on a cell phone too.

Had a jacked up truck blow past me this morning. Then about a mile down the road he was stuck in a snow bank. I thought for a minute, then I just kept driving. He was outside his truck on his phone so figured he could sit there and wait for help to pull him out.

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
The reason I'm not working today. It takes me a half hour to get to work on a normal day, and closer to an hour with snow. A 4 wheel drive dodge with brand new tires does not have an issue at all in the snow, but I have an issue with folks wanting to play bumper cars between here and there. I can make it to work without a problem, it's the fools that I'll meet on the way that keep me at home.

ako_deerking

Twelve Pointer
I stayed home today.... it's not worth it to try and make a little money if it could cost me a whole lot more money if something somehow did happen. Risk vs reward situation....I won't risk me or my vehicle unless they would pay hazard pay and anything that could happen to me or my truck.

Dthbyhoyt

Old Mossy Horns
I stayed home today.... it's not worth it to try and make a little money if it could cost me a whole lot more money if something somehow did happen. Risk vs reward situation....I won't risk me or my vehicle unless they would pay hazard pay and anything that could happen to me or my truck.

Good choice ...

crittergitter

Ten Pointer
We are considered essential employees, water and waste water folks, so we have to go to work. Our job description states that bad weather is not an excuse for missing work so we have to go or get a ding on our evaluation, or I would take the day off. (I will walk the 7 miles in the bad weather if I have too. I can’t remember the last time I had a “snow” day.) We have worked during tornado's, hurricanes, snow and ice events. As long as we are 100% sure our loved ones are OK we will work during anything.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
Yup. You would think that a good clue to slow down would be 1. The ice actually visible on the road and B. Cars spun off into the fence. But yes I was passed this morning by folks doing 65-70.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Roads were not bad around here, but work is caught up for the most part and its not worth having an issue. I waited until about 9:00 to leave and the roads were fine. I came around a blind corner just in time to see a plow truck running a stop sign I hammered down on the brakes and got stopped with little room to spare. I rarely get excited when driving...but that caused a bit of a stir. Not the first close call I have ever had, but definitely one of the memorable ones.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Drive slow wreck easy drive fast wreck hard. I have to got o work no matter what and drive at night so its gets interesting sometimes but I grew up in Mtns of VA. so some snow doesn't affect me I am surprised though that so many people drive way faster than necessary down her in snow just need to leave earlier saves lot of headaches. Most interesting time I ever had was back in 93 I think it was had 35-38 inches snow that was real interesting week on narrow Mtn roads.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
There's a blooming idiot in the ditch that thinks I'm coming back with a chain...I'm sorry, if you're doing 50mph, in 8" of snow on an unplowed road...you deserve a wrecker bill ;):p:cool:

sent from wherever i is

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You have guys going crazy in the snow....good gracious what would they all be doing on ice? Lol, 8"-12" of snow is nothing to drive in compared to that ice stuff from a couple weeks ago. When you drive up the driveway and even across the yard on a full size truck and never SCRATCH the crust, that is some slick mess. First time I have ever seen ice that didnt at least leave a little treadprint in.

Ridgeline66

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Guy i work with got hit by another driver last year coming to work, totaled his car, screwed up his back and he couldn't work for about 2 months AND the company we work for screwed him out of his vacation and personal time because of it and he almost lost his job so.......needless to say he dosen't go to work if its bad weather and i don't either.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Be at work! Regardless of conditions, you better be here! Oh, you in the hospital busted up? Well, you should have made a better decision about coming to work!

EGrdneck

I drive a 4x4 gmc and had a dodge ram blow by me Tuesday morning I was soon 45 no issues and he can by doing 60 made a right turn and spun around 4 times I laughed and kept driving since he didn't hit anything

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
My wife told me that BEFORE the storm hit, people were driving like absolute morons. I reckon it was the, "quick let's cause a wreck so we can beat the storm" kind of mentality. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

tarheelshooter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Just got home because we ran out of bays and no parts availability. The tow truck drivers for the shop have been mighty busy today ;) and I have a feeling it will be even busier tomorrow morning:eek:
Hopefully they quit breaking stuff,I'm getting tired of being covered in snow fixing electrical and hydraulic issues.:mad:

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
The interesting thing to me is the attitude people take in different parts of the country over driving on snow covered roads. My daughter lived in Topeka Ks for about three years, during that entire time school was closed three days and that was in the spring because of tornados. :D

When I worked out of the N Y office many years ago I traveled to Mass, Conn, Western N Y, the Great Lakes area around Erie and Buffalo on a regular basis and people just took driving on snow in stride and went about their business as usual.

To the other extreme, when I lived in Miami one good thunderstorm that wet the highways caused wrecks all over the place.

Here in N C, and in Tn, a heavy frost closes school. I've always wondered if those folks in the states where the school buses run over snow covered roads have better bus drivers than we do in the South or are they not as concerned over the safety of their children as Southern parents are?

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I think they have better snow removal (and they pay $$ for it) AND the folks who live there are used to driving in it so they are better at it.

Last edited:

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
The interesting thing to me is the attitude people take in different parts of the country over driving on snow covered roads. My daughter lived in Topeka Ks for about three years, during that entire time school was closed three days and that was in the spring because of tornados. :D

When I worked out of the N Y office many years ago I traveled to Mass, Conn, Western N Y, the Great Lakes area around Erie and Buffalo on a regular basis and people just took driving on snow in stride and went about their business as usual.

To the other extreme, when I lived in Miami one good thunderstorm that wet the highways caused wrecks all over the place.

Here in N C, and in Tn, a heavy frost closes school. I've always wondered if those folks in the states where the school buses run over snow covered roads have better bus drivers than we do in the South or are they not as concerned over the safety of their children as Southern parents are?

I hope your being facetious. You know that it has to do with being familiar with conditions. When you have snow on the ground for 3-4 months vs 5-6 days a year, of course you are going to know how to better handle it. But, judging from what I see on the news, northerners are no better at driving in the snow than anyone else. That 200 car pile up in Detroit a few weeks ago should serve as warning to everyone.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
One was in the ditch about a half mile below my house this morning, small Saturn. Probably going way too fast for the conditions last night, thankfully no one was hurt. I guess at least, I never heard sirens or saw lights.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Another reason is something I keep trying to remind folks of. Down here in the South, we don't drive on "snow", we end up with ICE. NOBODY can really drive on ice. All these Yankees and Midwesterners who come down here and puff out their chest and tell us in a condescending tone that "Youse guys don't know how to drive on snow, but we do" are often the main ones that end up causing wrecks because they are trying to drive on ice as if they were driving on snow.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Another reason is something I keep trying to remind folks of. Down here in the South, we don't drive on "snow", we end up with ICE. NOBODY can really drive on ice. All these Yankees and Midwesterners who come down here and puff out their chest and tell us in a condescending tone that "Youse guys don't know how to drive on snow, but we do" are often the main ones that end up causing wrecks because they are trying to drive on ice as if they were driving on snow.

The same folks that think we are backwards and ignorant. They should make bumper stickers for days like today. Anyone causing a wreck is required to put one on the bumper for a year and make it a misdemeanor to take it off before the year is up. A bumper sticker that says something like "Im An Idiot" would be great.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
My last boss was from upstate NY, besides being a complete Ahole about everything he also told us on numerous occasions about how we couldn't drive down here.
I'm proud to say since living here he has wrecked twice in the snow.....sadly he was perfectly fine after each one.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
But you guys don't understand, they are driving 4 wheel drive vehicles so they go anywhere, anytime so whats the need to slow down. LOL.

nc rabbit hunter

During times like this my employer allows us to use our plant vehicle to take us to and from work.The wastewater plant never shuts down!!

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I hope your being facetious. You know that it has to do with being familiar with conditions. When you have snow on the ground for 3-4 months vs 5-6 days a year, of course you are going to know how to better handle it. But, judging from what I see on the news, northerners are no better at driving in the snow than anyone else. That 200 car pile up in Detroit a few weeks ago should serve as warning to everyone.

i agree.
but they need to be better at something so i'll give them "driving in snow"