*** Treestand for large trees?***

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Hey everyone. Does anyone have a recommendation for a climbing stand that will climb 29-32 inch diameter trees? I only bow-hunt and stand up when I shoot. I really don't like cable style stands and like large platforms. I am presently use two Buckshot treestands because they are so solid but they wont go on large seed trees.We have lots of cut overs with large seed trees and need to do a few sneak attacks next season!! I thought about Locons but don't want to leave them up in the wide open. Thanks Mark

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Hey everyone. Does anyone have a recommendation for a climbing stand that will climb 29-32 inch diameter trees? I only bow-hunt and stand up when I shoot. I really don't like cable style stands and like large platforms. I am presently use two Buckshot treestands because they are so solid but they wont go on large seed trees.We have lots of cut overs with large seed trees and need to do a few sneak attacks next season!! I thought about Locons but don't want to leave them up in the wide open. Thanks Mark

Is the buckshot super mag a little wider? That might be an option, but I'm not sure.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
I thought of that Dave thanks. I have a few locons on some big trees where they are way off the beaten path. Everyone says they are to scarey to climb because of the diameter of the tree. I will look around at the DDC this weekend.
Mark you could always go this route , loc-on stands with a treestand buddy .. I have one on a stand in my building if ya wanted to look at it ..
just buy a couple extra tree brackets and move stand from tree to tree ...
http://www.treestandbuddy.com/

or this stand and buy a couple extra brackets .
http://www.millenniumstands.com/products/portables/m-50-steel-hang-on

darenative

Twelve Pointer
I don't know that anyone makes a climber that will work on trees that are that size.

This for heavily buttressed trees in a swamp or straight trunk trees?

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Loc ons are still gonna be the best bet. Are you avoiding them because of theft or another reason? The brackets as DBH mentioned are a good option. I usually prefer screw in steps, but on really big trees, ladder sticks are easier to use. You could also buy a lightweight aluminum stand and carry it in with you.

I think if you went with a millennium style bracket and screw in steps, and just carried the stand with you, it will go unnoticed.

Last edited:

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Large Diameter Tree Climber

Mark, I own 2 of the original gray Buckshot BigShots & 1 Buckshot Bigshot Magnum w/ the expanded metal deck, that came from a company in Wilmington. Unfortunately, this company is no longer in existence. Since, I weigh #285, & primarily bowhunt only, I prefer the Buckshot BigShot Magnum. It will climb a very large diameter pine or poplar, don't think it would climb a 29"-32" tree though, since the seat measures only 24" across. The Austin Outdoors will be selling the Super Mag Extreme Basic @ the DDC this coming Fri-Sat, that is a reasonable facsimile of the original Buckshot BigShot Magnum.

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer

Johnny

I have several places that are the same situation. I just built wooden stands so I could just leave them. Leave a small can by your stand. You can put a little dirt on your stand so you can tell if someone else is hunting your permanent stand. My stands are 16 feet high. They are not a lot of help with a shotgun I doubt they will be much help with a bow. Unless you have a climbing stand the cutover grows as fast as you can add a section.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Treewalker Stands fit on larger trees than most. They are USA made (somewhere in Tennessee) and they have a booth at the DDC this year. I believe it is the first year for them at the DDC. They do the Virginia Outdoor Sportsman Show in Richmond in August and almost always sell out. Firedog bought one from them at the Richmond show and really likes it.

gameland

Twelve Pointer
I have a porta climb convertible and I know it will go on a bigger tree than the buckshot. It's not the safest or most comfortable stand and as I get older the platform that you stand on when facing away from the tree is getting smaller. 😬 But all in all its a decent stand that will climb big trees.

Last edited:

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Thank guys for all the information. The only problem with locons here is that the deer tend to move around in these cutovers and their pattern changes almost weekly. I am pretty aggressive so I really want to get close to them and moving around to different trees would be a must. I know Reece at porta climb stands. I owned a few of his stands when he first started selling them. I thought about giving him a call and having him make me something. I just don't think the round tubing will hold up to the rigors and forces climbing a large diameter tree. I also want a bigger sturdy platform like the Buckshot

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Im not sure if they're still available, but the API Grand Slam Magnum would fit large trees and climb them safely. It was also the most comfortable stand I ever had. I'm always looking to replace the one that was stolen from me several years ago.

gameland

Twelve Pointer
Thank guys for all the information. The only problem with locons here is that the deer tend to move around in these cutovers and their pattern changes almost weekly. I am pretty aggressive so I really want to get close to them and moving around to different trees would be a must. I know Reece at porta climb stands. I owned a few of his stands when he first started selling them. I thought about giving him a call and having him make me something. I just don't think the round tubing will hold up to the rigors and forces climbing a large diameter tree. I also want a bigger sturdy platform like the Buckshot

Yea I agree the platforms are small but I will say the round tubing is strong. I've used the same porta climb for around 20 years. And I'm not easy on stuff, I use it. But the older I get I'm probably gonna look for more comfort in my next stand.

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
Get a tree saddle (or one of the other versions out there) and some sticks....both have extensions (or you can make them) for huge trees, but a 30" tree shouldn't be a problem. You'll be quiet & mobile & relatively comfortable.