Thinking about going to Arkansas next season

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
All the guys I know that went this year were disappointed and are wanting to go to Kansas next year.

ridenismo

Six Pointer
Im planning on a week long trip down that way and doing DIY hunts with a couple of buddies. We figure we can spend the same on a week doing our own thing as 3 days at a guide's outfit, and hopefully shoot some birds. If not itll just be a good week vacation bullshittin with the boys.

fowlplay'n

Twelve Pointer
I'm no help with guides but if you want to do a DIY hunt go to Bayou Meto. Never been and don't know when I'll ever be able to but i've always wanted to go to Bayou Meto just to watch the rodeo that ensues each morning. Lots of rednecks racing through the flooded timber on souped up jon boats in the dark.....what could go wrong?lol

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
All the guys I know that went this year were disappointed and are wanting to go to Kansas next year.

It was a down year in AR but we still had good hunts in mid Jan, AR will be right back to where it was, the weather this year really messed with them. I would give you our guys info but he turned away about 1500 people this past year.

skydog

Can't beat Byers Farm if you've decided on Arkansas. Little more $$ than most, but if you're going to drive all the way out there, you might as well do it right.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Been to Arkansas and in all honesty, I'd put west TN and Missouri ahead of arkieland. But then again, if you've never been and wanting to go, more than likely you'll have a blast.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Been to Arkansas and in all honesty, I'd put west TN and Missouri ahead of arkieland. But then again, if you've never been and wanting to go, more than likely you'll have a blast.

Same ducks but Arkie gets all the fame..... Reelfoot!

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
I think AR gets all the fame due to it kind of having it all, rivers, flooded timber or rice fields. Plus the fact that there are so many guide services and public land to hunt. I like going to AR but we do have a great guide we use.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I think AR gets all the fame due to it kind of having it all, rivers, flooded timber or rice fields. Plus the fact that there are so many guide services and public land to hunt. I like going to AR but we do have a great guide we use.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, you'll see more mallards there in a weekend than you would see in 30 years in NC and if you like flat land, you'll be in heaven. The Stuttgart area makes hyde county look like the Mtns. I tell people that if your in that area, the biggest hill you'll go over is when you cross the paint lines on the highway.....:)

My biggest thing is your always at the mercy of the weather and migrations on the Miss flyway and it seems like in the last 10 years, the further north you can hunt, the better off you'll be.

Problem with reel foot as I see it is everyone thinks they're a guide so you really need to do your homework. I've seen more woodies in NC than I ever dreamed I would here in NY. My buddy and I even looked into coming down to shoot some woodies and mallards in NC or even SC. Up here its a lot of big open water hunting

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I get what your saying about reelfoot. There's some good guides there but I don't hunt reelfoot. I hunt about 30miles south of there

If I could find a guide that people actually hunted with that said thy were good I'd be on it. The older I get the more I get into duck hunting and bow hunting deer. Other than those 2 I like to hunt "different" stuff like hogs, gators etc just to do it cause its dfferent

Greenhorn

Six Pointer
Problem with reel foot as I see it is everyone thinks they're a guide so you really need to do your homework. I've seen more woodies in NC than I ever dreamed I would here in NY. My buddy and I even looked into coming down to shoot some woodies and mallards in NC or even SC. Up here its a lot of big open water hunting

My good friends live on lake Cayuga. I'm trying to get up there to hunt it - one day.

That's about 5 hours north of me. It's in an area called the finger lakes region. Lots of good hunting up there but at 5 hours away it quickly becomes a 4 day trip...a day up and scout, 2 days to hunt and a day to head home. Here on Long Island we're surrounded by salt water. Lots of brant, geese, buffleheads sea ducks etc

what I wouldn't give to get a few woodies and a few fat mallards on a regular basis

My good friends live on lake Cayuga. I'm trying to get up there to hunt it - one day.