A True Coydog

farmboyhunter

Ten Pointer
So this is the first case of anybody I know of capturing a true coydog. It was trapped in NC around the Monroe area.IMG_1878.jpg

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
No expert but sure looks like a coyote to me. I'm not questioning you at all so please don't think that I am. I'm just asking an honest question because I don't know. Just wondering what makes you think it is a coydog? Is it the coloration?

farmboyhunter

Ten Pointer
The muzzle is what really gives it away for me much wider and stockier than a standard coyote plus the ears are more rounded off than a coyote.

Briargoat

Ten Pointer
I agree, definitely mixed. They're fairly common my way. A lot of wild dogs running around with an increasing coyote population. It's going to happen.

farmboyhunter

Ten Pointer
Had coyote vocalizations, was wild as hell (that's a quote from the individual that caught it), coloration around the middle was that of a coyote, fur was the consistency of a coyote, and two wildlife biologists agree this was a coydog.

Briargoat

Ten Pointer
Regardless, unless it belongs to someone it needs to go. Drove by a trailer park about a week ago and there was a pack of dogs sunning in the road. All looked wild with no collars. There was one that looked so much like a coyote, I had to stop and look twice. If I saw it hunting, I would swear it was a full blooded yote

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Had coyote vocalizations, was wild as hell (that's a quote from the individual that caught it), coloration around the middle was that of a coyote, fur was the consistency of a coyote, and two wildlife biologists agree this was a coydog.

probably some red wolf in there as well,,,,,,,,may want to be careful!!

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Had all of that and the tail of a domestic dog?

Treetall

Twelve Pointer
I've seen couple coy dogs in fox pens from when a wild hound that couldn't be caught stayed in pen and bred with coyotes

bflee

Whats this?
Caught him on my game cam in the swamp behind my house. I believe its a yote but its hard to tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
. Drove by a trailer park about a week ago and there was a pack of dogs sunning in the road. All looked wild with no collars.

I sure hope you did the right thing and called Animal Control. Even if you have no confidence in them, at least its been reported.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
bflee---could be a black coyote--also fairly common in NC...or just someones mutt---can't see its muzzle too well...has a fluffy tail though.

Last edited:

rodman

Ten Pointer
I have run some coydogs before.They was a lot uglier than that one.They could handle 100 walkers easy

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
One dog handle 100? You wouldn't be embellishing that a little would you?

My friend is starting to trickle in his annual pics in from upper Il. No shooting, all catch and kill, he is at 144+- right now and they run into coydogs fairly often right up against the suburbs. These three handle singles and doubles with ease, he never turns out singles. Always at least doubles. For size reference that tallest girl is 6'.

These are this years pups, but they already know what they are doing.

Last edited:

MoBucks

Old Mossy Horns
So this is the first case of anybody I know of capturing a true coydog. It was trapped in NC around the Monroe area.View attachment 43672
Looks like .......Shepherd mix
e4fe1778909853fecc5895444e31a92b.jpg

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
One dog handle 100? You wouldn't be embellishing that a little would you?

My friend is starting to trickle in his annual pics in from upper Il. No shooting, all catch and kill, he is at 144+- right now and they run into coydogs fairly often right up against the suburbs. These three handle singles and doubles with ease, he never turns out singles. Always at least doubles. For size reference that tallest girl is 6'.

These are this years pups, but they already know what they are doing.

Interesting, never heard of anyone doing it this way before. In NY there are alot of feral dogs in the Adirondacks and Berkshires.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It is a big thing in the midwest, heck many of the fancy trucks have remote controlled doors on the rig boxes. They ride around see 'em in the fields and take off and when they get within a half mile or so they slam on brakes and pop the hatches and out the dogs go after the 'yotes.

Wouldn't work here, you get a 2 acre landowner in the middle of a square (one square mile) fussing about dogs. Up there once the deer season goes out they have thousands of acres to do it on, they want them killed. The boy that sends me the pics is a grain buyer and knows most of the farmers for miles and miles, he has almost unlimited permission. Heck in the upper end of Il a tree is pretty hard to come by. LOL

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
It is a big thing in the midwest, heck many of the fancy trucks have remote controlled doors on the rig boxes. They ride around see 'em in the fields and take off and when they get within a half mile or so they slam on brakes and pop the hatches and out the dogs go after the 'yotes.

Wouldn't work here, you get a 2 acre landowner in the middle of a square (one square mile) fussing about dogs. Up there once the deer season goes out they have thousands of acres to do it on, they want them killed. The boy that sends me the pics is a grain buyer and knows most of the farmers for miles and miles, he has almost unlimited permission. Heck in the upper end of Il a tree is pretty hard to come by. LOL

I've seen em do it in NM. It's a sight to behold. Yote loping across the desert, doors open and hounds are arse over teakettle after it and generally on him within a mile.