My hunting style is validated

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Was reading the March/April edition of Turkey Country this evening and found 2 different articles that were right down my alley. The first was titled "Bed and Breakfast Gobblers" and the second "Senior Moments". I know this isn't the style for everyone, especially the younger group but it speaks directly to the OFs who just can't get up and going at 4AM. It also isn't the style for the working guys who feel they have to maximize every opportunity. But for me, 68 years old, retired with no pressing responsibilities, it suits me just fine. Get up when you wake up, have a good breakfast, make sure you have performed all the necessary functions of the morning before you leave the house, then wander out into the woods just in time to catch the old toms looking when most of their morning hens have gone away from them. I've found that it is easier for me to call a tom in when there is as little competition as possible and around 10AM seems to be a pretty good time for me to get going. Both articles are enjoyable reads and remind me that I don't have to do it like everyone else.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
;) We have noticed that in all the places we have hunted except for one, we don't see a bird until after 9 am and generally don't get them interested enough to shoot until 10am or later.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
I'd rather be in the woods as the sun comes up. If I am tired I can always take a nap while sitting against a tree. Although I have had a gobbler sneak in on me while I was sleeping.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
I love being out at daylight or before but I agree that between nine and noon is great hunting time. I have also been known to doze while leaning against a tree. Nothing like being jarred awake by a thundering gobble.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I like to hear them gobble. When they gobble on the roost for me it is very informative, I formulate a plan from there. Basically increasing my chances by setting up where that bird "should" go depending on previous experience. Nothing ever happens the same way, hens play a huge part in that, but I like to hunt tell noon if possible anyway.

But I find the older I get the more I plan around my bowels, its sad.

Last edited:

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Tell you what...I'll take the sunrise shift:D I'll be gone by the time you get up and at 'em!!! :p:p:p

In all seriousness, it's a great way to hunt. I've killed the vast majority of my birds after 9am, heck, better than half after lunch.

That said, I'm still gonna be out there to watch the dawn break. I can't not go:p If I don't get in 'em, I go to work...if I do, I'll play it out and then go to work. One day...one day I won't have these pesky obligations that get in the way of important stuff like turkey hunting!

Last edited:

quackNcluck

Six Pointer
I love to hear the woods come alive in the early morning, and also I like getting out of the woods before the heat arrives. Haven't had the desire to walk in late yet...

m23cbl

Six Pointer
I hunted a lot of early mornings last year but the earliest I killed a bird last year was 9:00am. I've got so many hens that if I hadn't killed him within 15 minutes of his feet hitting the dirt, I may as well go eat breakfast and come back. I love them lonely gobblers.

TarheelTurkey

Six Pointer
I agree with the style totally, however I have the same problem as hawglips LOL ( totally blame that on my career choice hahaha) but don't let everyone know this either ! Just kidding ... I enjoy the sun rises so for now I'm caught in the middle of the old and young I guess ! I'm going to check out the article though it looked interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
You guys are killing me. LOL. I enjoy the sunrises. I enjoy hearing the woods come alive in the morning. And I usually get to see and hear both on occasions. That's usually when I get up at 2AM to hit the head and can't go back to sleep. Father Time slow walks us all and presents us with many changes. Fortunately, I have learned to adapt to those changes and still enjoy the outdoors. I'm looking forward to both turkey and deer season this year. I've missed them both.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I love to hear the woods come alive and the distant(and close by) gobbles give me a direction to move if the first bird pitches down with a pile of hens. I am always subject to head back to the clubhouse for a snooze!! I will typically hunt the evenings too. I like to scout them out in the fields and then try to set up near the roost spot they were at the night before. If they are not pressured very much they tend to return to the same general area each evening.(IMO) This thread is getting me wound up!! I can't wait for it to get here.