Wife just doesn't get it...

straightline

Ten Pointer
Damn if some of y'all don't need to learn scene control. Marriage is a give/take relationship but somewhere you have to draw the line. They would be some rakes under the porch by sundown if I had already given up my hunting room.

MoBucks

Old Mossy Horns
Just how much money has that fishing gear won you.... in tournaments vs the amount you have spent over the years to fish them? :)

brittonp83

Six Pointer
Just how much money has that fishing gear won you.... in tournaments vs the amount you have spent over the years to fish them? :)
It isn't quite equal, I'll just leave it at that, nevermindthe boat!

Probably sent from a mobile device using Tapatalk.

nchunter02

Button Buck
Well the way I see this coming about you need to sell the boat, as spring and the temp is getting warmer, next sell or trade your truck for a van. Then when September gets here you can sell your hunting stuff and all your guns. If you don't do all these things all I can say is GOOD LUCK.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
My wife knows she will never win an argument with me when it comes to my guns or hunting stuff. But then again, I have a "man cave". My wife is currently 7 1/2 months pregnant. The way her brain works right now, if she brings up something today she will more than likely forget about it tomorrow. Haha

Hell, the other day I told her I was thinking about selling my skeet gun cause I know it'll probably years before I ever get back to shooting skeet like I used to, if I do at all. She wouldn't let me!!!!!!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
,,,,,,Hell, the other day I told her I was thinking about selling my skeet gun cause I know it'll probably years before I ever get back to shooting skeet like I used to, if I do at all. She wouldn't let me!!!!!!

well played,,,,,,,,,,

CarolinaWildlife

Ten Pointer
When we our first kid two years ago...my wife said "You might as well sell your hunting and fishing stuff"
I replied..."You're starting to sound like my ex wife"
She goes "I DIDN'T KNOW YOU WERE MARRIED BEFORE!!!!!!"

I said..." I wasn't, but you are starting to sound like my ex wife!!!"

Last edited:

AntlerHunter

Four Pointer
Lot's of good advice on here, some not so good... Remember, for you to be successful it's going to be a lot of give and take (compromise). There is going to be times you just need to keep your mouth shut, especially when she is pregnant (do you want to be happy, or right?). There are a lot of options to store your stuff, and time goes by quickly and all of a sudden the years will pass and you will be wanting to get rid of junk and down size. So in the scheme of things, this really isn't a big deal. Enjoy the time before the baby comes and be sure to keep your priorities in the right place. This is just my perspective after 32 years of being happily married and raising 2 children. Over those 32 years my wife has been very supportive of my hunting and fishing as well as a couple other activities (playing ball, coaching baseball, etc.). Be sure to be supportive of her as well, it will work out as long as it is not always about you.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Lot's of good advice on here, some not so good... Remember, for you to be successful it's going to be a lot of give and take (compromise). There is going to be times you just need to keep your mouth shut, especially when she is pregnant (do you want to be happy, or right?). There are a lot of options to store your stuff, and time goes by quickly and all of a sudden the years will pass and you will be wanting to get rid of junk and down size. So in the scheme of things, this really isn't a big deal. Enjoy the time before the baby comes and be sure to keep your priorities in the right place. This is just my perspective after 32 years of being happily married and raising 2 children. Over those 32 years my wife has been very supportive of my hunting and fishing as well as a couple other activities (playing ball, coaching baseball, etc.). Be sure to be supportive of her as well, it will work out as long as it is not always about you.

This,,^^^. Compromise indeed, it has worked for me and my Wife now for almost 38 years..

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
Havent read the entire thread but maybe you could build or buy her a small storage shed for her tools. Or even get one of those ones that just sits up against the house that is roughly the size of a closet? I know what you mean about your hunting and fishing gear though. I have an entire room full of it.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Im so thankful i dont have to put up with the crap it sounds like a lot of guys have to with their wives...in fact i wouldnt. Goodluck buddy but I doubt it gets any better.

Amen. Not sure how I would handle what some guys go through. If she wants to throw your gear outside, let her know that it will likely be damaged to the point that you will have to buy all new stuff. My wife does NOT want my stuff damaged because then I have a valid reason to buy. The fundamental problem is a lack of respect for your hunting and fishing passions and the gear that is required to pursue them.

You young guys make sure you marry a girl whose Daddy was a hunter/fisherman. That way she understands from birth. If not, it's an uphill battle. Often one that cannot be won.

Last edited:

brittonp83

Six Pointer
It really isn't as bad as some of you assumed, or I alluded to. My firearms are still inside, it's my gun cleaning tools/sled and chemicals, fishing rods and tackle that are going in the garage. She never meant for that stuff to go out under the porch. I want to put her gardening stuff out there to make more room in the garage to more easily get to my fishing gear. For now it all resides in the cluster **** that is my garage.

Good idea with the totes and what not. Last night I gathered all my hunting clothing, sealed it up in a half dozen vacuum pack bags and put it all in totes that slide under the bed. I loved having it all set up in the spare room, but I can deal with this set up.

Plus, when I was packing all my long guns under the other bed she hinted that she was working on getting me a nice big safe for all of them. I have no idea where that would go (weight issues for it to be on the second floor?), but it got us talking in a positive direction. We both readily compromised during the discussion and I could see in her eyes that she does care about my passions, we just got flustered over the weekend. I think the baby registry had us both worked up about how to fit/store/afford all this crazy new baby stuff that is soon needed. Apparently they make reclining rocker/feeding chairs for her, which are crazy expensive and big!

Thanks for all the good advice and humor. I really got a laugh outta the "sounding like my ex wife" comment.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
You young guys make sure you marry a girl whose Daddy was a hunter/fisherman. That way she understands from birth. If not, it's an uphill battle. Often one that cannot be won.

Not necessary in a good relationship. Although my wife comes from a nonhunting, gun hating family, she has bought a large portion of my hunting gear.

seminolewind

Good point! Converted (late life) hunters or marriage to non-hunter spouse makes it tough.

Amen. Not sure how I would handle what some guys go through. If she wants to throw your gear outside, let her know that it will likely be damaged to the point that you will have to buy all new stuff. My wife does NOT want my stuff damaged because then I have a valid reason to buy. The fundamental problem is a lack of respect for your hunting and fishing passions and the gear that is required to pursue them.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
You asked her opinion on something?!?!?! Thats crazy,

I'd have left a note of where she can now find her gardening stuff, maybe even a map. I'd have done it neatly, and with no malicious intent. And if I had her build a shed between cooking my meals and such, it'd be for her outdoor stuff, not mine.

You have to let them have something, but not control. NEVER control!!!!

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Lol...as I read this bc it brings back so many memories!

Our extra bedroom has always been my trophy/hunting room since we got married 16yrs ago. Well, lets just say that a few years ago we downsized to a 2 bedroom house and along came our precious little girl Elia (2yrs old now).

I did my best trying to convince my wife for Elias nursery theme to include dead animals! Needless to say I lost but good news is I get tk wake up in our bedroom each morning and see all of my trophies!

Actually sitting in one of the last appts in prep for baby girl #2 to arrive next week.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Glad you're getting it worked out. My first thought(s) was of creating your storage area in the living room or bed room. THEN, she would really want to come up with a plan you could both agree on...... :)

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
I hate to say it, but stand your ground now, marriage is 50/50, do right by your wife but do not get overrun no matter how many babies she has, a man has to have his man card for show.My hunting and fishing stuff is worth its weight in gold to me , and will stay where I want it, and in a safe secure place. good luck.

391shooter

Twelve Pointer
I hate to say it, but stand your ground now, marriage is 50/50, do right by your wife but do not get overrun no matter how many babies she has, a man has to have his man card for show.My hunting and fishing stuff is worth its weight in gold to me , and will stay where I want it, and in a safe secure place. good luck.

Sounds like you are putting your hunting and fishing gear in front of your wife.

I've been fortunate. I have lots of gear and guns. I've hunted all over the country, and have gone on multiple trips in a single year. Man card or not, all the hunts and gear could never replace my wife or daughters.

As for the OP. It's really not that hard to figure out what your priority is, is it?

Last edited:

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Our new house we've come to an agreement, i can turn the bonus room into my personal armory/ man cave so long as there is room for a queen bed to use for guests. Still figuring out the garage storage nut i need to find some serviceable old school basic training wall lockers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corapeake

Eight Pointer
Word to the wise, just remember "Out of sight, out of mind"

Best to keep it where she doesn't see it.......including the checkbook and credit card charges.

You've been warned..... Lol

from the Maxx

Last edited:

GTC

A pregnant lady is nothing to mess with weekend on the water or not, I've been there and done that and know that all too well.

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Sounds like you are putting your hunting and fishing gear in front of your wife.

I've been fortunate. I have lots of gear and guns. I've hunted all over the country, and have gone on multiple trips in a single year. Man card or not, all the hunts and gear could never replace my wife or daughters.

As for the OP. It's really not that hard to figure out what your priority is, is it?

Well yes.. I had it before she came along, she got used to it, like I said 50/50, if I had to get rid of them or a place to store them would not be fair, She does as she pleases and so do I. And we get along and love each other and our sons. Brad Paisley sang it best,"I'm still a Guy".

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Playing that man card on a woman you got pregnant can really get interesting.

i am thinking by some of these answers that you guys have no daughters. and alot of you have or will have multiple wives.

but by all means show them who is boss. :)