Any word on puffers?

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
Think of going to Harkers over Easter and wondered if there have been any puffers caught. I know it is a bit early but still may be worth a shot.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Even though we live here on the coast I haven't heard of any Puffers being caught so far. I'm not saying there haven't been any caught, Bogue Inlet Pier is open now and I just haven't been over there in a while. We wanted to go up to the Morehead City turning basin this week but tomorrow looks like rain again and turning much colder over the week-end, guess we will wait now until maybe next week for our first boating trip of the year. I read the NC Waterman fishing report yesterday and didn't see where much of anything is being caught yet in salt water. Someone else might chime in with a different report..Good luck if you get down over Easter..

If I hear of Puffers or anything else biting inshore I will post it...I was hoping the Sea Mullet would come in up at Morehead City but I haven't heard of anyone catching any so far..

Last edited:

darenative

Twelve Pointer
They are catching a few in Hatteras this week. It should pick up if we get some SW wind to push some warmer water in.

boomer

Twelve Pointer
My dad fished at Holden beach all last week and caught 2 or 3. He said it was slow, real slow.

Anybody fished down that way this week? I'm gonna meet up with ol' nchunt101 to try to put something in the cooler. Heard rumors of sea mullet in the turning basin as well as a few puffers. Might not be the best weather this weekend but going to try anyways...

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
I don't see any reports of Sea Mullet being caught on the saltwater forum on another site, but there may well be Puffers and Sea Mullet up at Morehead City. I was planning to go this past week but the wind has been pretty bad..After this holiday we plan to make a trip up to the turning basin and see for ourselves..Good luck with the fishing..

onthefly

Caught a bunch at Cape Lookout by the old Coast Guard dock this weekend but most were small

socalangler

I was at the Oceana Pier from last Fri. and Sat. and saw a few small puffers being caught. However, there were rays everywhere and lots being caught (and broken off).